Check Engine Light - Code P0713

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDRMorgan

A couple of days ago the check engine light went on in my 2014 Spark EV2 LT. I scanned the code and only found one default - P0713 Powertrain, trans fluid temp sensor circuit high input. I cleared the code and today, two days later, it came on again. I am not sure if the code description is correct or if the Spark EV uses the code for a similar fault. Right now, the outside temperature is hot - 90 - 100 deg. F.

Has anyone else experienced this code? If so, what was the fix?

MrDRMorgan said:
A couple of days ago the check engine light went on in my 2014 Spark EV2 LT. I scanned the code and only found one default - P0713 Powertrain, trans fluid temp sensor circuit high input. I cleared the code and today, two days later, it came on again. I am not sure if the code description is correct or if the Spark EV uses the code for a similar fault. Right now, the outside temperature is hot - 90 - 100 deg. F.

What the P0713 code means
P0713 is an OBD-II generic code for a voltage problem with the automatic transmission temperature sensor. If this code is triggered, the TCM is reading voltage that is too high for the manufacturer’s parameters, meaning the automatic transmission fluid is too hot.

What causes the P0713 code?
There can be a variety of causes for a P0713 – some more severe than others – but it’s important to treat this code seriously as it could lead to costly repairs if ignored. Some of the most likely causes are:

Low automatic transmission fluid from a leak
Dirty automatic transmission fluid
Faulty automatic transmission temperature sensor
Slipping or damaged transmission
Damaged sensor wiring
Faulty TCM and or engine control module

That's just info from you mechanic...my question is...after clearing the code how far/long did you drive before it set again? Also on torque pro you have the trans temp pid...see what it reads cold and watch as you drive, from cold it should be reading about ambient air temp. This is an important one not to ignore as trans temp is also an indication of motor temp on our electric sparks (trans fluid also cools the exterior of the motor). If your temp readings are normal (ambient cold) and move up as you drive likely the sensor is not the issue. Next thing would be the fluid condition/level, if not a sensor issue or fluid issue troubleshooting will get a bit more tricky. I would definitely check those 2 things first before moving to anything else.

Is hot here in sacramento as well and have not seen over 130F on trans temps since monitoring the pids for the last few days, but also haven't been driving more than 20-25 minutes at a time.

SparkyJ said:
MrDRMorgan said:

What the P0713 code means
P0713 is an OBD-II generic code for a voltage problem with the automatic transmission temperature sensor. If this code is triggered, the TCM is reading voltage that is too high for the manufacturer’s parameters, meaning the automatic transmission fluid is too hot.

What causes the P0713 code?
There can be a variety of causes for a P0713 – some more severe than others – but it’s important to treat this code seriously as it could lead to costly repairs if ignored. Some of the most likely causes are:

Low automatic transmission fluid from a leak
Dirty automatic transmission fluid
Faulty automatic transmission temperature sensor
Slipping or damaged transmission
Damaged sensor wiring
Faulty TCM and or engine control module

That's just info from you mechanic...my question is...after clearing the code how far/long did you drive before it set again? Also on torque pro you have the trans temp pid...see what it reads cold and watch as you drive, from cold it should be reading about ambient air temp. This is an important one not to ignore as trans temp is also an indication of motor temp on our electric sparks (trans fluid also cools the exterior of the motor). If your temp readings are normal (ambient cold) and move up as you drive likely the sensor is not the issue. Next thing would be the fluid condition/level, if not a sensor issue or fluid issue troubleshooting will get a bit more tricky. I would definitely check those 2 things first before moving to anything else.

Is hot here in sacramento as well and have not seen over 130F on trans temps since monitoring the pids for the last few days, but also haven't been driving more than 20-25 minutes at a time.
Great information. Thank you! I will add the trans temp PID to my measured items in TorquePro and see what I find.

After I erased the code the first time, using my regular OBD scanner tool, it reoccurred 2 days later. But, and I am really reaching, this did not start happening until I plugged in the OBDLink MX and left it in the OBD2 socket in the car. I guess, with this heat, it is possible the OBDlink adapter got too hot in the car and created the error. This morning I removed the adapter and drove in the heat to Tracy to visit a friend. Then I returned home in hotter heat. The AC was on and going strong both ways. The check engine light never came on.

What is prompting all of this investigating is that, in the 3 years I have had my 2014 Spark EV, I have never seen any value on the Energy Information other that ZERO for battery conditioning. My 2016 Spark EV does just the opposite and I have watched the battery temperature drop as the fan and AC cooled the battery.

Added info: I added Trans Temp and Battery Coolant Pump RPM PIDs to my TorquePro report. It is 100 deg. F in my garage and almost 102 deg. F outside. With the car powered on, the Trans Temp was 43 deg. C (109 deg. F). Battery coolant pump RPM was ZERO. These two PIDs should give me insight into my questions regarding the OBD2 error code and whether the battery coolant function is working. What I do not know are the limits for Trans Temp and Battery Coolant Pump RPM. But, what I can do is compare the readings for the 2014 Spark EV with the same readings for my 2016 Spark EV. Should be interesting.

Update: 2 Sep 2018 - It's Back! After staying off for a while, the Check Engine light came on in August - Code P0713 again. I cleared the code and everything has been fine until today-2 Sep 2018. I scanned the OBD2 port and code P0713 is back again. it acts like an intermittent sensor to me. So, I cleared the code and, if it occurs one more time, off to the dealer we go before the powertrain warranty expires. One additional note - the AC was running at the time.

Update 3: 2 Sep 2018 - After I arrived home and reset the code, I connected TorquePro and took the car out again. Trans temp was 57 deg. C. Outside temperature ranged between 95 and 98 deg. F. I drove an in-town 15 mile route and monitored the trans temp for the entire trip. Eventually the temp rose to 73 deg. C. One thing I did notice was strange. I stopped a couple of times along the route, turned off the car but remained in the car to keep things powered up. The trans temp remained at 73 deg. C and then suddenly jumped to 90 deg. C. With the car still powered off, I stepped on the brake pedal and the trans temp dropped back to 73 deg. C. I repeated this a number of times and each time the same thing happened. The Check Engine light did not go on anytime during the test drive. I am thinking I will let the dealer figure this out the next time the check engine light comes on and it is for code P0713.

Pump should run when ac is on, try and see. Slight chance that pid won't work with 14 spark. Also would set a code if not operating.

Watch the trans temp sensor for a while when cold starting and if never way out of range, I would trust it is functioning correctly. Trying to find info on when to change drive fluid and thought I remembered it being in the owners manual...nothing.

SparkyJ said:
Pump should run when ac is on, try and see. Slight chance that pid won't work with 14 spark. Also would set a code if not operating.

Watch the trans temp sensor for a while when cold starting and if never way out of range, I would trust it is functioning correctly. Trying to find info on when to change drive fluid and thought I remembered it being in the owners manual...nothing.
This morning I connected TorquePro, turned the car on and then turned on the AC. TorquePro showed an RPM value for the battery conditioning pump. I suspect everything is working correctly in the battery conditioning circuit and I just do not understand the differences between the 2014 and 2015 / 2016 Spark EVs.

Do you know what the acceptable working range is for the HV battery temperature?

This morning I connected TorquePro, turned the car on and then turned on the AC. TorquePro showed an RPM value for the battery conditioning pump. I suspect everything is working correctly in the battery conditioning circuit and I just do not understand the differences between the 2014 and 2015 / 2016 Spark EVs.

Do you know what the acceptable working range is for the HV battery temperature?

Yeah trying to pin down all the differences is tough, at least you have both to compare by :mrgreen:

I don't know the working range of either type of battery. Anytime my car has been sitting in 90f+ weather and not plugged in, it always actives the tms for the battery and probably the electronics as well, for at least a few minutes at the start of a drive. Can't imagine the hell a pack with no tms goes thru in hot weather...surprised leafs don't just explode as temps at the cell level have to be soaring.

I downloaded the 2014 owners manual and under service and maintenance it says to change electric drive unit fluid 97,500mi with no time stated and this info doesn't exist in the 2015 manual. Do you have your 2016 owners manual, page 11-4 should have the drive units info on interval. Guess it is about time to crawl around under sparky and try to learn more of its secrets.

I would inspect as best you can for any possible leaks if you see that code again or just for peace of mind.

SparkyJ said:
I downloaded the 2014 owners manual and under service and maintenance it says to change electric drive unit fluid 97,500mi with no time stated and this info doesn't exist in the 2015 manual. Do you have your 2016 owners manual, page 11-4 should have the drive units info on interval. Guess it is about time to crawl around under sparky and try to learn more of its secrets.

I would inspect as best you can for any possible leaks if you see that code again or just for peace of mind.

No additional occurances since I removed the OBDLink MX adapter. I suspect it was getting too hot and somehow creating an error flag. The 2016 owners manual has no mention of changing the electric drive unit fluid.

MrDRMorgan said:
SparkyJ said:
.... The 2016 owners manual has no mention of changing the electric drive unit fluid.
My '14 manual has it changed at 97.5k miles.
I'm going to do it soon and have an oil analysis done on what comes out.
The dealer quoted me a $310 charge for doing the fluid change..... :eek:

And the manual calls for Dextron VI ATF HP which looks like it's been discontinued.
Still searching and trying to figure this out, but I found one Corvette thread that said Mobil 1 ATF HP is the same thing and says so on the bottle.
Was able to see the label at Summit Racing and it is compatible. Now to find it by the quart and not a 6 pack.

When my car was in the shop recently I asked for a print out of the fluid change procedure and the shop manager got it for me. (The power of showing up with donuts every visit!!!)
I haven't gone through it yet but my plan is a simple drain, measure exactly what came out and refill.
If I do this twice in 10k miles all should be happy in the little drive unit!

Dextron VI compatible ATF is readily available. Should have no problem buying it at any auto parts store.

Norton, part of the change should include a filter change...very similar to an automatic trans oil pan and filter. Still need to crawl under sparky and check it out, but I seen the trans filter listed on rock auto for all spark ev with corresponding gear ratios for each year.

Thanks for checking the 16's manual dr....odd 15 and 16 nothing is listed, just same fluid. No way they could be implying it never needs to be changed..if so I will be changing mine at about 25-30k miles lol

SparkyJ said:
Norton, part of the change should include a filter change...very similar to an automatic trans oil pan and filter. Still need to crawl under sparky and check it out, but I seen the trans filter listed on rock auto for all spark ev with corresponding gear ratios for each year.

Thanks for checking the 16's manual dr....odd 15 and 16 nothing is listed, just same fluid. No way they could be implying it never needs to be changed..if so I will be changing mine at about 25-30k miles lol
I do not know what the upper limit is for the transmission temperature so I will just keep checking it from time to time and compare it with my 2016. The transmission temperature read 56 deg. C after running around in the high heat for a while.

Today (7/21), while monitoring the transmission temperature, I noticed it jumped to 99.9 deg. C for a moement and then back down to 53 deg. C. The check engine light did not come on but this may be an indicator of a problem with the sensor. I will keep watching.

CCIE said:
Dextron VI compatible ATF is readily available. Should have no problem buying it at any auto parts store.
But the Spark EV and the Vette and others spec the HP version of this fluid. That is what I am trying to find. The Mobil 1 ATF HP is compatible.
· Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP is warranty approved for all vehicles specifying DEXRON® HP ATF
Look a zoom of the back label: https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil-1-synthetic-lv-atf-hp-case-6-quarts?gclid=CjwKCAjw1tDaBRAMEiwA0rYbSD5cmKThAhiDV_1aw4UPbE4CpMS0_qaj4w2CjMUEHl7iF-9pNw6rvRoC2MoQAvD_BwE

I think the filter is not easily replaceable. It is in the case and the drive unit would need to be split. That's how it is on the Volt.
Did you see the thread about 'discolored ATF. Don't change it'. It was some kind of TSB.

I'll be posting the oil analysis of the old fluid when I do it.

NORTON said:
I think the filter is not easily replaceable. It is in the case and the drive unit would need to be split. That's how it is on the Volt.
Did you see the thread about 'discolored ATF. Don't change it'. It was some kind of TSB.

Only way to drain is remove the oil pan. I went ahead and shelled out $30 for a year of chilton diy and it has the whole process, a little more complicated than a typical automatic trans fluid/filter change.

I'll see what help I can give if any info is needed as well as learn some other specs, but note some info might not be accurate for 2014 spark ev, service info is for 2015 spark ev.

And dr, try to watch that sensor if not going to go ahead and replace it or take it in....sounds like you are on the right track.

SparkyJ said:
NORTON said:

Only way to drain is remove the oil pan. I went ahead and shelled out $30 for a year of chilton diy and it has the whole process, a little more complicated than a typical automatic trans fluid/filter change.

I'll see what help I can give if any info is needed as well as learn some other specs, but note some info might not be accurate for 2014 spark ev, service info is for 2015 spark ev.

And dr, try to watch that sensor if not going to go ahead and replace it or take it in....sounds like you are on the right track.
The next time the check engine light comes on the car goes in for a fix.

MrDRMorgan said:

After looking at the repair procedure for changing the trans oil temp sensor, would likely be a good idea to take it in. Sensor appears to live in the oil pan, so only way is to remove the pan and of course the fluid, but filling the fluid is the tricky part as you have to have the pump running when you remove the inspection plug to make sure fluid level is correct. Seems many things are engineered to be a pita...not really how I recall gm engineering things, but times do change. Of course 2014 could be an entirely different procedure.

As a diy'er, I hope I have little to repair on this car out of warranty, even relatively easy things look like a task.

Edit; and Dr, try to get the hv battery temp vs cooling pump parameters if you have to take it in, at least will give you peace of mind. I suspect you don't have an issue.

SparkyJ said:
MrDRMorgan said:

After looking at the repair procedure for changing the trans oil temp sensor, would likely be a good idea to take it in. Sensor appears to live in the oil pan, so only way is to remove the pan and of course the fluid, but filling the fluid is the tricky part as you have to have the pump running when you remove the inspection plug to make sure fluid level is correct. Seems many things are engineered to be a pita...not really how I recall gm engineering things, but times do change. Of course 2014 could be an entirely different procedure.

As a diy'er, I hope I have little to repair on this car out of warranty, even relatively easy things look like a task.

Edit; and Dr, try to get the hv battery temp vs cooling pump parameters if you have to take it in, at least will give you peace of mind. I suspect you don't have an issue.
That is even a bigger concern - does the tech even know how to diagnose a Spark EV problem and then, how the repair is to be done? I suspect only some sharp Chevy VOLT tech will have any idea how to fix the Spark EV. Perhaps, now that the Bolt has been out for a couple of years, the techs may be more knowledgeable.

I have not had any problems with either my 2014 or 2016 Spark EV. But, I did have the check engine light go on in my leased 2015 Spark EV. I was told a battery charging module had failed. It took 6 weeks to get the part. When I picked up the car to wait for the part, I was told I would not be able to use DCFC charging until the module was replaced, but I could use L1 and L2 EVSE charging. So, I tried DCFC anyhow and it worked fine. The charging module was replaced and I had no more problems other than I lost about 1.5 kWh of battery capacity. I recently measured the HV battery capacity for a friend of mine who has a leased 2015 Spark EV. His battery capacity measured 14.8 kWh at about 30k miles. Ouch!

Well, it has been a while but my wife just reported the Service Vehicle Soon light came on in our 2014 Spark EV. I checked the code and it was my old friend P0713 again. It is possible this is occurring as the summer temperatures approach. I cleared the code and all is well. Next time it occurs, I will probably take the car to the dealer so they can replace the sensor - under warranty!

Darn light came on again today. TorquePro showed the transmission temperature was -10 deg. C! It seems this is only happening in very hot weather. I cleared the code which reset the light and, if it comes on again - which it will - the car is going to the dealer. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Clearly the temp sensor or the wiring has something wrong.
I doubt it is a serious problem.
But if you have a warranty,, why not! :)

Back