Not charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineear

Have had this 2015 since 11-2018 without issues. Have always plugged in at night, the dash light turns orange, wait a few seconds, the horn beeps and the charge begins. last night however nothing happened when I plugged in, dash light didn't go to orange...nothing. I pulled the cable out and reinserted...still nothing. I left it plugged in, opened the door and the light went to orange, the horn beeped and it charged. Just pulled the cable out this morning, charged to 93 miles.
A fluke? Anyone else experience anything like this?

I have had a similar thing happen twice - not charging (no charging light at all on dash), open drivers door, charging cycle starts. In my case however, it was during 2 DCFC sessions.

Not sure why opening the door triggers the car to accept charging...Chevy must have stolen some code from Tesla.

Also, the other day hit the unlock button on the fob and nothing happened...battery dead in fob. So I hit the button that releases the key, insert key in door, turn key and....the alarm goes off! Wonderful. Stick key in steering column, alarm still blaring, car comes to life after a few moments, alarm stops and I go to batteries + and replace said battery and get another for the spare fob. Dont understand the alarm going off since thr key is for that car. Who thinks of and then gets approval for that to be installed in the car?
Note...key in column does not turn like in days of yore. Nearly broke it off trying to turn it.

My understanding is that the slot (transmitter pocket) for the key on the steering stalk is simply there to locate the fob at a preferred distance and orientation to communicate efficiently with the wireless receiver. Hence no ability to turn the key in the slot.

We have two 2015 Spark EVs. Both recently had fob communication issues where the key had to be placed in the "transmitter pocket" for the car to start. In both cases, the fob battery voltage seemed to be fine but the batteries were replaced in any case.

I'm not sure if moving the fob far enough away from the car, or replacing the batteries resolved the issue. Its been several months on one car with no further issues and several days on the other car.

Joe M in WV

How did you determine the voltage "seemed to be fine"? I don't know if putting the key in the column triggers something to make the car start or what you say is true, putting the fob closer to enact engagement. Also, why should the alarm go off? Odd.

Fob battery voltage was tested with a - - - battery tester. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202867877-_-202867878-_-N

I'm pretty sure that the function of the "transmitter pocket" is covered in the Spark EV user manual. Worth a read.

Not sure about the alarm issue. Most common reason I've set it off is detaching the EVSE from the car without unlocking doors after preconditioning the car.

Joe M in WV

JMenacker said:
I'm pretty sure that the function of the "transmitter pocket" is covered in the Spark EV user manual. Worth a read.

Not sure about the alarm issue. Most common reason I've set it off is detaching the EVSE from the car without unlocking doors after preconditioning the car.

Weird but true, if you unlock the door with the key it sets off the alarm and you can only turn it off with the key fob. The "transmitter pocket" lets the car read the fob even with a dead battery. I had one fob with a dying battery so I learned this lesson. It was a few weeks before the lease was up, so I just used the other key until I returned the car. But this reminds me that the "new" Sparkie's batteries are nearing that age and I should make sure I have batteries on hand.

As for the alarm for unplugging without unlocking, you can turn that off in the settings.

SparkieVee said:
JMenacker said:

Weird but true, if you unlock the door with the key it sets off the alarm and you can only turn it off with the key fob. The "transmitter pocket" lets the car read the fob even with a dead battery. I had one fob with a dying battery so I learned this lesson. It was a few weeks before the lease was up, so I just used the other key until I returned the car. But this reminds me that the "new" Sparkie's batteries are nearing that age and I should make sure I have batteries on hand.

Also weird : I once had the alarm go off because I unlocked the car manually (pulling up the lock 'stick' on the inside of the door). {I had parked in my garage, and locked the car with the fob to turn off the lights. The next morning I went to take something out of the car, the doors were locked but the windows open, so I unlocked 'by hand' and the alarm went off.} I don't know if the alarm goes iff if you lock with the fob but unlock with the button in the armrest of the car.

Back