Bolting

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkevBlogspot

As my 2015 SparkEV lease is ending soon, I went car shopping as I wasn't sure if I'll keep the Spark. Work is now 80 miles, making it hard on now 17 kWh SparkEV. I was looking to buy rather than lease since I wanted to have trailer hitch for bike racks and it seems all EV require some plastic cutting to install the hitch.

I was looking at Ioniq EV, because $20K (post fed+state subsidy) is just about right for a compact car. Bolt at $28K (post subsidy) is way much, or so I thought. Dealer is now having special sale of Bolt at $29.8K (post CA rebate but without federal tax credit). That makes it $22.3K post tax credit! Sure, tax is higher due to taxable price not including rebate/credit, but that's still a killer deal. I think I'll bite.

Seeing how SparkEV had largest sale (or lease) of over 900 cars when I jumped in Apr. 2015, I think there may be many of you facing similar situation. If considering another EV, Bolt at this sale price (I think they had 4 left) might be of interest. Check out Quality Chevy in Escondido.

I've Bolted!

They're sold out of $29.8K Bolts, but they still have few $30.8K Bolts ($23.3K after fed tax credit and CA rebate) and sale lasts to Jul 2. I suspect they'll be sold out before then. But be careful of overpriced stuff stealership sneak in; I fell for it and paid several hundred extra that I don't need, only realizing after I came home.

Yes, tax is higher due to tax being based on pre-incentive price, but it's still highly competitive against "hot hatch" like GTI. Truecar shows GTI at bit over $25K, so Bolt having bit less performance is comparable in spirit of SparkEV's "best car in its price range, EV or gasser".

Obviously, you should understand your income and tax situation to see if all the incentives apply. But if you do, it's a great deal.

Back