? rear brake damper removal ?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidM

I posted on the reddit Spark EV forum too.

Has anyone replaced rear brake pads on the Spark EV ?

Not sure how to take damper off . It's on top of and attached to the slider pin that I want to clean and re lube .

There is a plastic cover . I feared breaking it.

Via youtube videos , for other cars underneath this plastic cover is a 30 torx nut ..... Is this true for the Spark ?

TIA

BTW , seems to be price reduction on GM OEM brake parts
https://gmpartsheadquarters.com/2016-chevrolet-spark_ev-lt-electric_-transaxle_automatic_1-brakes-rear_brakes/

Look closely where the damper meets the caliper bolt.
There are flats for a very thin open end wrench.
A 'Cone Wrench' in bicycling tools is what's needed. Or grind down a beater wrench to fit. 13mm if I remember correctly.

I just grabbed the damper with large channel locks and it unscrewed. Those small screws just take it apart. You don't want to do that.

BUT, everyone, definitely get in there and service the caliper slider pins... regularly.

I had two that were rusted badly and causing uneven brake wear.
One I was able to remove and clean the rust off of one of them. The other side I had to buy a whole new caliper assembly. It wasn't expensive.

I try to do all my cars about at 50k mile intervals. But I live in the 'Rust Belt'. :(

Put an open end wrench on the damper stud flats, but just hold it in place, don't turn it. Take another open end wrench and loosen the slider pin. Once you do, the damper can be unscrewed by hand, without ruining it. You put everything back together the same way, tighten the slider, not the damper.

Back