Previous owner installed lead acid 12V battery. Should I be worried?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanfan7

So the 12V battery died on my 2014 Spark EV (had it for about 1.5 yrs), and I noticed that the previous owner installed a regular lead acid battery in it. I'm replacing it with an AGM battery now, but should I be worried about long term damage from the old battery?

duncanfan7 said:
So the 12V battery died on my 2014 Spark EV (had it for about 1.5 yrs), and I noticed that the previous owner installed a regular lead acid battery in it. I'm replacing it with an AGM battery now, but should I be worried about long term damage from the old battery?

No, don't worry. Output from both is about 12.6V completely full, down to about 12.3V (usable without damaging the battery). And both charge back up at *about* the same rate (if you buy a 12V battery charger, you should make sure it is AGM-smart, however).

The "flooded" ( = classic) lead-acid (compared to the AGM lead-acid) simply won't last as long as the AGM. Search this forum for " 12V " and you will read a bunch of stuff recommending getting a smart trickle charger for your 12V that you use once or thrice a month overnight to make sure your 12V isn't drained too low.

Yeah, the 'Floating Voltage' difference is minimal.
I've run mine on a mid-size motorcycle battery for a month once.
This battery doesn't really do much work in these cars.
It's big enough to keep the key fob and cell phone receivers powered up while the car is parked for weeks.

Back