Low Range Used 2015

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franknfurter

Hello!

I’ve purchased a used 2015 Spark EV. At best, range has stated 64 miles after driving it off the lot. Now only two months later, it only will charge to 55.

It has less than 28,000 miles.

Definitely feeling like I need to trade this in before it gets worse. I’m a new EV owner but I am aware of the variables with charging too frequently and driving habits.

I guess my main question is... at what point does this become a warranty issue? Will Chevy consider this a warranty issue? Perhaps EV wasn’t the right choice for my situation?

What’s up with the capacity of these batteries if the mileage is so low yet the capacity is so dramatically poor?

Finally—any idea how much a battery replacement would be out of pocket?

franknfurter said:
Hello!

I’ve purchased a used 2015 Spark EV. At best, range has stated 64 miles after driving it off the lot. Now only two months later, it only will charge to 55.

I live in rural Northern California and charge daily due to my commute. Vehicle history shows it has only been owned in Monterey, CA area.

Definitely feeling like I need to trade this in before it gets worse. I’m a new EV owner but I am aware of the variables with charging too frequently and driving habits.

I guess my main question is... at what point does this become a warranty issue? Will Chevy consider this a warranty issue? Perhaps EV wasn’t the right choice for my situation?

What’s up with the capacity of these batteries if the mileage is so low yet the capacity is so dramatically poor?

Finally—any idea how much a battery replacement would be out of pocket?
The first question that comes to my mind is are you using the car's heater in cold weather? If you are, you should expect significantly lower GOM range values. Second - find another Spark EV driver close to you who can measure your battery capacity using TorquePro. Or, you can estimate your battery capacity using the data displayed on the Energy Information screen in your car.

1. Charge the car to 100%
2. Go to the Energy Information screen (LEAF button) and reset all values to zero.
3. Take the car out for a long drive.
4. When you return home, go to the Energy Information screen and record the values for Kwh used and the % values for DRIVE, CLIMATE and CONDITIONING. Divide the KwH Used value by the sum of the decimal values for DRIVE %, CLIMATE % and CONDITIONING %. This will give you the estimated battery capacity. Try to drive so you minimize any regeneration.

GM Parts Direct lists just the HV battery at $24000. plus who knows what for labor and other necessary parts. I hope some business will come along to rebuild the HV battery.

I believe both the 2015 and 2016 Spark EVs use the same HV battery. For 2015 and 2016 Spark EVs, I believe the warranty requires that you have 40% or more battery degradation.

franknfurter said:
...Now only two months later, it only will charge to 55.

First, the display of miles is the Guess O'Meter. It looks at how you used the last charge of the battery.
Is it winter where you are? Do you drive at highway speeds? These use up the power.

Second, Batteries are measured in kWh, not in miles on the GOM.
Things will get better with warmer weather.

Start taking measurements as the good DR recommends above.
Keep a spread sheet. I have a spread sheet almost 6 years old. My '14 is still around 85% capacity at 90k miles.
And I flog it daily on the highways commuting. I see ~55mi. on the GOM on occasions.

Hello.

I have also recently purchased a 2015 Spark EV with low miles (30,000) and the range is roughly 60% of what a fresh battery would be. I would consult the dealer you purchased the car from to get details about when GM would consider replacing the battery. As far as drive battery replacement prices go I have seen ads from GM that give a range from $4500.00 to 5600.00 depending on the level of replacement, however, I cannot speak to the veracity of the advertisements.

After 2 1/2 years of ownership, I don't get overly concerned about things like that simply for the fact that the Spark is doing what I expected of it. I can commute with it and I can do all of my local running around with it. :D

Back