niik
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 am

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am

Ok so GM corporate said I need to figure it out with the dealership. I'm out of town for the next couple weeks but once I get back I'll have to go argue with them.

I'm pretty disappointed with GM and the dealership. I don't think it's unresinable to want to know the battery capacity number, especially when they took my money and said they could do it.

I'll try to update here when I have new information.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:50 am

niik wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am
Ok so GM corporate said I need to figure it out with the dealership. I'm out of town for the next couple weeks but once I get back I'll have to go argue with them.

I'm pretty disappointed with GM and the dealership. I don't think it's unresinable to want to know the battery capacity number, especially when they took my money and said they could do it.

I'll try to update here when I have new information.
If you have access to TorquePro and the Chevy Bolt PIDs, you can display the battery capacity on your phone. I use this value to track and plot the HV battery degradation for my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:53 am

niik wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am
Ok so GM corporate said I need to figure it out with the dealership. I'm out of town for the next couple weeks but once I get back I'll have to go argue with them.

I'm pretty disappointed with GM and the dealership. I don't think it's unresinable to want to know the battery capacity number, especially when they took my money and said they could do it.

I'll try to update here when I have new information.
If you have access to TorquePro, you can display the battery capacity on your phone. I use this value to track and plot the HV battery degradation for my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. My guess is that the value displayed by TorquePro is fairly accurate.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:53 am
niik wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am
Ok so GM corporate said I need to figure it out with the dealership. I'm out of town for the next couple weeks but once I get back I'll have to go argue with them.

I'm pretty disappointed with GM and the dealership. I don't think it's unresinable to want to know the battery capacity number, especially when they took my money and said they could do it.

I'll try to update here when I have new information.
If you have access to TorquePro, you can display the battery capacity on your phone. I use this value to track and plot the HV battery degradation for my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. My guess is that the value displayed by TorquePro is fairly accurate.
As for GM. I called, got a case number and was told a technical representative would call me within 1 day. Well....6 days later and no call. Nor, has the dealer called to tell me what the status of my Spark EV is. :?: :?: :?:

niik
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 am

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:47 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:53 am
If you have access to TorquePro, you can display the battery capacity on your phone. I use this value to track and plot the HV battery degradation for my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. My guess is that the value displayed by TorquePro is fairly accurate.
As for GM. I called, got a case number and was told a technical representative would call me within 1 day. Well....6 days later and no call. Nor, has the dealer called to tell me what the status of my Spark EV is. :?: :?: :?:
I have used TorquePro and its telling me 14.4 kWh. I also did the manual calculation by charging to 100 and driving to 20%. That test returned 14.6kWh confirming the TorquePro values.

I dont know what test the dealership did (I don't think they did any tests) but when I asked them what the current kWh capacity of the battery is they couldn't tell me. All they said is "its within GM spec for age and miles." I'm not sure how they can know it's within spec if they don't know what it's capacity is.

Oh well I'll try to get a real answer when I go talk with them. Corporate hasn't been as much help as I was hoping...

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm

niik wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:47 am
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:53 am
If you have access to TorquePro, you can display the battery capacity on your phone. I use this value to track and plot the HV battery degradation for my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. My guess is that the value displayed by TorquePro is fairly accurate.
As for GM. I called, got a case number and was told a technical representative would call me within 1 day. Well....6 days later and no call. Nor, has the dealer called to tell me what the status of my Spark EV is. :?: :?: :?:
I have used TorquePro and its telling me 14.4 kWh. I also did the manual calculation by charging to 100 and driving to 20%. That test returned 14.6kWh confirming the TorquePro values.

I dont know what test the dealership did (I don't think they did any tests) but when I asked them what the current kWh capacity of the battery is they couldn't tell me. All they said is "its within GM spec for age and miles." I'm not sure how they can know it's within spec if they don't know what it's capacity is.

Oh well I'll try to get a real answer when I go talk with them. Corporate hasn't been as much help as I was hoping...
$700 later, the transmission fluid temperature, as displayed by TorquePro, is now reading correctly. However, the GM technical service person still has not called me to discuss the problem.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:02 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm
niik wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:47 am
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm

As for GM. I called, got a case number and was told a technical representative would call me within 1 day. Well....6 days later and no call. Nor, has the dealer called to tell me what the status of my Spark EV is. :?: :?: :?:
I have used TorquePro and its telling me 14.4 kWh. I also did the manual calculation by charging to 100 and driving to 20%. That test returned 14.6kWh confirming the TorquePro values.

I dont know what test the dealership did (I don't think they did any tests) but when I asked them what the current kWh capacity of the battery is they couldn't tell me. All they said is "its within GM spec for age and miles." I'm not sure how they can know it's within spec if they don't know what it's capacity is.

Oh well I'll try to get a real answer when I go talk with them. Corporate hasn't been as much help as I was hoping...
$700 later, the transmission fluid temperature, as displayed by TorquePro, is now reading correctly. However, the GM technical service person still has not called me to discuss the problem.
I had the Service Manager look into warranty coverage for this part. No dice - I pay! But... the transmission fluid temperature is now reading correctly.

niik
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 am

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 pm

Ok, so I'm still chasing this issue.

I finally got the dealer to admit that all they did was scan for codes. Their excuse for not doing more tests is that GM policy is to stop if no codes are present.

Based on what the dealer is telling me battery degradation would only be warranty-able if there were other trouble codes present. However, that is not what the warranty states, it says "degradation beyond 35% is covered" not "degradation beyond 35% when associated with another trouble code is covered."

Also, the manual has a disclaimer that battery testing can take 24 hours but does not make that statement for other warranty items which leads me to believe there is a dedicated test for battery testing.

I have forwarded this information to my caseworker at Chevy HQ. I am now asking for clarification about the warranty and the test required for battery degradation. I have asked for documentation one way or another because I either need it to convince the dealer to test my car or to show it to a lawyer. Because if they are refusing to assess my battery degradation then how are they able to satisfy their warranty agreement?

I plan to provide any official guidance I get from GM here so that if others need it they can skip this excruciating process.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:17 pm

niik wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 pm
Ok, so I'm still chasing this issue.

I finally got the dealer to admit that all they did was scan for codes. Their excuse for not doing more tests is that GM policy is to stop if no codes are present.

Based on what the dealer is telling me battery degradation would only be warranty-able if there were other trouble codes present. However, that is not what the warranty states, it says "degradation beyond 35% is covered" not "degradation beyond 35% when associated with another trouble code is covered."

Also, the manual has a disclaimer that battery testing can take 24 hours but does not make that statement for other warranty items which leads me to believe there is a dedicated test for battery testing.

I have forwarded this information to my caseworker at Chevy HQ. I am now asking for clarification about the warranty and the test required for battery degradation. I have asked for documentation one way or another because I either need it to convince the dealer to test my car or to show it to a lawyer. Because if they are refusing to assess my battery degradation then how are they able to satisfy their warranty agreement?

I plan to provide any official guidance I get from GM here so that if others need it they can skip this excruciating process.
I would be very interested in what you find out. The car's computer does keep track of the car's HV battery capacity and Torque Pro can access this value as can the dealer. The only other way to determine the HV battery's capacity is to charge the HV battery to a full charge and discharge it through a power meter and load at a safe rate until the battery hits zero. That will give you the total capacity of the battery.

What about the capacity of the replacement battery? It does not sound like the replacement will be a new battery. Instead, it could be a battery with at least 10% more capacity than the one it replaced.

My Torque Pro measurements show the following:
1. The HV battery in my 2014 Spark EV has degraded 3.0 kWh in 15,000 miles. Current value is 14.3 kWh
2. The HV battery in my 2016 Spark EV has degraded 3.2 kWh in 26,000 miles. Current value is 13.4 kWh

scrambler
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:56 am

niik wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 pm
I plan to provide any official guidance I get from GM here so that if others need it they can skip this excruciating process.
Thank you for keeping us posted on this!

Return to “Batteries and Charging”