niik

Re: Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:59 am

MisturChips wrote: Mine is a 2014. Did they start with 19 or 21kWH?
If 21, then 13.65 is the lower limit, and I believe in CA there is a 10 year 100,000mi battery warranty.
If 19, then 12.35 is the number to reach.
I should stop by my local dealer now and start the process of extending the useful life of the lil' fella several more years...

So my understanding is that 2014 came with a 21 kWh battery. Maybe CA had a different warranty but the warranty I have is 8 yr/100k mile.
I was able to look up my warranty info using the "My Chevy" app, but now I can't find it and it also looks like they updated the website. Now everything is saying you need to call the dealer or GM to get your warranty status.

If you think that your battery is degraded below the warranty threshold and you are still under warranty I would recommend starting the process of getting it checked sooner rather than later.
MisturChips wrote: I'm just over 91.5k on the odomoter, and got it used a couple months ago.
Nice. I got mine used recently too (well it's not that recent anymore I guess) with 62K on it.

SparkE

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 pm

The 2014 had ~21 kWh "A123" battery pack, and a (max) 35% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.
The 2015 had ~18.5 kWh "LG Chem" battery pack, and a (max) 35% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.
The 2016 had ~18.5 kWh "LG Chem" battery pack, and a (max) 40% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.

Your car license doc, the proof of ownership, (we call it a "pink slip" in Calif) should show "date first put in service" for the vehicle.

If you Spark EV is a 2014 model, your warranty will probably expire this year (2022).

I am not too worried about it (yet) since I have 2 vehicles, and the Spark even with city range of ~60 miles is still good for 90+ percent of my daily driving. (I recently got back from a trip from San Jose to Pismo Beach, about 200 miles one way, and I took the low-polluting, high-mileage gasmobile instead of the Spark). My next long-range vehicle (to supplement the Spark) will probably be a plug-in hybrid : 30-ish miles all electric, SparkEV for local trips up to 65 miles, gas for highway trips at 45+ mpg and with refueling times (adding 300+ miles) under 5 minutes.

If people had a large choice of 35-mile-range electric plugin hybrid pickups and minvans and delivery vans and midsize cars, the city air pollution all across the country would drop drastically.

niik

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:54 am

quick update on the Battery replacement status.

Still waiting on parts.

I talked to GM about doing a warranty buyout instead of the repair, since the repair cost is more than the value of the vehicle. GM seemed open to it but said that I needed to work through the dealer to see if it's something they want to do.
SparkE wrote: If people had a large choice of 35-mile-range electric plugin hybrid pickups and minivans and delivery vans and midsize cars, the city air pollution all across the country would drop drastically.
Yep, I agree. Though it seems like most manufacturers are moving away from plugin hybrids and either making full EV or non-plugin hybrids.

Also from a personal perspective hybrids scare me because it's got all the potential issues of an ICE and EV. That makes me question the long-term costs and hesitate on choosing one.
This is also influenced by the fact that I normally buy cheap used cars that might have a dubious maintenance history :P .
SparkE wrote: The 2014 had ~21 kWh "A123" battery pack, and a (max) 35% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.
The 2015 had ~18.5 kWh "LG Chem" battery pack, and a (max) 35% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.
The 2016 had ~18.5 kWh "LG Chem" battery pack, and a (max) 40% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.
Maybe it's a bit "tinfoil hat" but it looks to me like GM got data that the batteries were not holding up as well as they expected (or as well as LG promised) and instead of fixing the issues they just changed the warranty terms to avoid the problem.

MrDRMorgan

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 am

SparkE wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 pm
The 2014 had ~21 kWh "A123" battery pack, and a (max) 35% degradation warranty, 8 years, 100k miles.

Your car license doc, the proof of ownership, (we call it a "pink slip" in Calif) should show "date first put in service" for the vehicle.

If you Spark EV is a 2014 model, your warranty will probably expire this year (2022).

I am not too worried about it (yet) since I have 2 vehicles, and the Spark even with city range of ~60 miles is still good for 90+ percent of my daily driving. (I recently got back from a trip from San Jose to Pismo Beach, about 200 miles one way, and I took the low-polluting, high-mileage gasmobile instead of the Spark). My next long-range vehicle (to supplement the Spark) will probably be a plug-in hybrid : 30-ish miles all electric, SparkEV for local trips up to 65 miles, gas for highway trips at 45+ mpg and with refueling times (adding 300+ miles) under 5 minutes.

If people had a large choice of 35-mile-range electric plugin hybrid pickups and minvans and delivery vans and midsize cars, the city air pollution all across the country would drop drastically.
In the beginning of my EV experience, my intent was to eliminate the cost of gasoline for all in-city driving by driving a leased Spark EV. I began my quest in June of 2015. It worked. Since then, I have turned in the leased 2015 and purchased used 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. Both vehicles continue to work great, even though I have significant battery degradation in both vehicles. Lately, the weather here in central California has been cold, rainy and foggy. So, I run the heater, turn on the headlights and watch my GOM drop to 3.0 - 3.5 mi/kWh. No problem! I still get a GOM estimate range of 40 to 50 miles. It works for me and I enjoy driving the cars. I recharge each car overnight as needed using the L1 and L2 chargers in my garage. My nearest L3 Fast Charger is 10 miles from my home.

With the big push to move driving America to EVs, I wonder where all of the needed fast chargers are and how the "new" EV drivers are going to like "waiting" for their EVs to charge.

MisturChips

Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:58 pm

niik wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:54 am
quick update on the Battery replacement status.

Still waiting on parts.

I talked to GM about doing a warranty buyout instead of the repair, since the repair cost is more than the value of the vehicle. GM seemed open to it but said that I needed to work through the dealer to see if it's something they want to do.
Intriguing. Spoke to the local dealership today. Bringing it by at 7AM when I get off work tonight. They have 4 EV techs on hand, and handle a LOT of EV sales / service at this particular location. I gave them the current 12.8 kWh indicator from the ECU, and mentioned the 2014's had a 21kWh battery etc. We'll see what they say - planning on delivering it to them with a near-zero capacity to make it quicker for them to run the charge-test.

When you 'talk to GM', do you do this by slamming the OnStar button and being transferred, or is there a specific department / person you speak with?
I'd like to be as prepared as practical.

NORTON

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:30 am

MisturChips wrote:
.. is there a specific department / person you speak with?
GM EV Concierge. Look for that. Sorry I don't have the number handy.

Good luck guys! This will be interesting!
'14 Spark EV 2LT w/ DCFC. 97k miles !! Going strong!
'17 Bolt Premier w/ It All! 70k miles. Brand New Pack w/Warranty!
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try, nope, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed it.

MisturChips

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 pm

NORTON wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:30 am
MisturChips wrote:
.. is there a specific department / person you speak with?
GM EV Concierge. Look for that. Sorry I don't have the number handy.

Good luck guys! This will be interesting!
Should know later today...

Spoke to the tech directly, and saw his document regarding EV capacities etc.
2014 Spark needs to hit not 12.65kWh, but 39Ah. Interesting.
Torque shows Bat Cap raw at 40.1 for me..

Tech indicates he may reset the values to cause it to re-learn over the next several charge/discharge cycles. I found that odd, and figured there'd be an actual test run with some form of diagnostic hardware connected. Perhaps I'll just run the heater and cycle the battery a few times?

We'll see.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”