Brake fluid replacement? At 30K mi?! Special procedure?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegasus

Hey everyone.

I'm wondering what the deal is with having to replace the brake fluid every 30K miles. I'm coming up on that and have never seen this before in any other car. (It's usually not even a stated regular maintenance item!) The Spark EV uses standard DOT4 brake fluid so nothing special there, but is there anything special about the system such that it recommends replacement so often or is this just a way to offset the dealer profits lost to no oil changes?

Also, does anyone know if the brake system requires any special procedure to flush the fluid (a la Toyota Prius) or is it like for any other hydraulic braking car?

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and so it is a good idea to swap it out every two years. Particularly so in areas of high humidity.

I think most chevrolet vehicles with abs need a tech 2 to bleed entire system including the abs

Jeff

Pegasus said:
Hey everyone.

I'm wondering what the deal is with having to replace the brake fluid every 30K miles.

Also, does anyone know if the brake system requires any special procedure to flush the fluid (a la Toyota Prius) or is it like for any other hydraulic braking car?
30k miles or 2 years according to the owner's manual.
I'm coming up on the 2 year mark.
I was wondering what other GM vehicles use this schedule. I'm pretty sure my Volt did not. Maybe it's a Korean spec. Maybe the gasser Spark calls for the same interval.

Either way I'm sure if you bleed it old school with an assistant on the pedal you will get new fluid where it counts, but who knows what it takes to flush out the ABS unit thoroughly?
Someone with a service manual could answer this question.

Well - my experience with my chevy truck is that you can bleed it yourself and then take it for a spin to slam on the brakes and actuate the abs to flush the fluid in that circuit - then bleed again... At the dealership, they use a tech 2 diagnostic tool to control the abs and bleed out the abs circuit...

Many vehicles have a 24 month interval on brake fluid... If you live here in the northwest u.s. - definitely get it done every two years.

jeff

certainly with motorcycles, the brake fluid can turn into peanut butter in a few years, I have my hydraulics flushed every 24k miles. I'm surprised more cars don't specify brake fluid flushing.

I just took my 2014 in for troubleshooting a rattle near the steering column and performing the 3 year service ahead of the warranty expiring (expires on July 13). Although my owner's manual also says the brake fluid is supposed to be changed at year 2, the dealership has an owner's manual in their computer that they follow, that indicates the brake fluid is to be replaced at three years. They wouldn't do it a year ago because they have to follow their manual, despite what my book says. Anyway, they're quoting me around $200 to replace the brake fluid saying that the Spark EV uses some special type of brake fluid that cost about $100, just by itself. Does anyone know about or have experience with this? I never heard of such a thing and was wondering if anyone else has gotten the same information.

SparkMoore said:
.... they're quoting me around $200 to replace the brake fluid saying that the Spark EV uses some special type of brake fluid that cost about $100, just by itself. Does anyone know about or have experience with this? I never heard of such a thing and was wondering if anyone else has gotten the same information.
Call and/or find another dealer. These guys are taking you.... :evil:
The fluid is either DOT 3 or 4, as stated in the manual.
Even if you went with the actual GM part number for this fluid, available on Amazon, it is nothing special.
Read your manual on recommended fluids.

I need to do this preventative maintenance also. I may just bleed the brakes the old fashioned way with me at each caliper while yelling at my girlfriend in the driver's seat "Yes now. Press down now! ". It never goes well.... :lol:
At least the system will have 'mostly' fresh fluid. The ABS pump and accumulator may not. And the calipers on these cars never get hot. You have to try to get the brakes hot on these cars.

Thanks. I read the manual and researched online and basically came to the same conclusion. Just checking here for an additional data point.

I'm always amazed how often people will give advice without actually being familiar with what they speak of. I attempted to do an old timey $6 boyfriend/angry girlfriend brake bleed on my 2015 Spark EV and have a few DTCs on my dash as well as a Stabilitrak error. There is a GM TSB that says one must use a pressure bleeder tool model J-29532-B or else there will be issues on the 2014 Spark EV. Perhaps the same is true with the 2015?

So to rephrase the question does anyone have any actual experience performing the brake bleed service SUCCESSFULLY? Has anyone tried this with an aftermarket pressure bleeder instead?

Pop the hood, close the doors and put the remote in the house so the car can't sense it. Wait about a half an hour, so the brake pump doesn't build up pressure in the lines. I use a hand vacuum pump with a reservoir attached to it to pull the fluid through each caliper and keep an eye on the fluid level under the hood. The sequence is RR, LR, RF, then LF. The Spark EV uses DOT 4 fluid.

I've done the Spark, the Bolt and the Volt using this method and never had a problem nor thrown a code.

I don't know if 30k mi is the magic number, but regardless of their owner manuals, EVERY car needs the brake fluid changed regularly. More often than not, it's an oversight. Also, consider this, unless you drive very aggressively, the friction brakes are barely used in the Spark EV. I don't know if this is better, worse, or the same for the brake fluid. You can test the fluid for moisture content. It's a good Idea to do so every now and then regardless of schedule.

Back