Spark-eee smoked a Porsche today

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro1999

I've been waiting to find my first "victim" to dust at a stoplight since I got my Spark, but hadn't had the opportunity...until today.

I was rolling up to a red light, when I see a Porsche 911 (not turbo) coming up in the rear view. We both come to a stop side by side....some midde aged guy. I creep forward to make sure he knows I'm there, and when the light turns green I floor it.

After a second or so, I hear his engine rev up, but I manage to stay ahead a nose until i let off when I hit 40 mph. He zooms off, probably scratching his head thinking "wtf was that?! It's a dinky Chevy Spark!"

Man, you're just asking for it. I suspect the Porsche driver didn't really try or don't know how to drive. I'm sure he felt smug thinking his car is quicker after he went past you.

By the way, I haven't had a speeding ticket with SparkEV, and unlikely to get it any time soon, if ever. But if I had a gas car that can accelerate like this, my license would've been suspended within months, if not weeks!

Gotta love the instantaneous torque of EVs. Many gas cars (aside from supercars) will have a tough time pulling an EV 0-30....at least EVs with sub 8 second 0-60s.

Depending on what kind of Porsche it was, my Spark may have been able to take it 0-30 in a "fair" fight anyways. :p

If it was 912, 914, 924, SparkEV might be quicker, but definitely not for 911. Not even to 30 MPH, unless the driver really sucked.

Instead of Posche, you should try against BMW i3 later this year. The new one with 33 kWh ($44K!) would be about 7.3 sec 0-60 due to > 300lb heavier than 22 kWh version. That could make it slower than SparkEV. Given that i3 has sluggish start normally, it's very possible SparkEV could kick i3's butt. Here's the math.

22 kWh: 6.5 sec, 2650 lb + 150 lb driver
33 kWh: X sec, 2981 lb + 150 lb driver
X= 7.3 (SparkEV = 7.2)

SparkEV will definitely be quicker than the new i3 REx, because that's even heavier. These are all assuming they don't change the motor to be more powerful, which press release shows there won't be.

SparkevBlogspot said:
Instead of Posche, you should try against BMW i3 later this year. The new one with 33 kWh ($44K!) would be about 7.3 sec 0-60 due to > 300lb heavier than 22 kWh version. That could make it slower than SparkEV. Given that i3 has sluggish start normally, it's very possible SparkEV could kick i3's butt. Here's the math.

The 33kwH version weighs 1343kg vs 1270kg for the 22kWh version (~160lb).

The number of cells is the same but the individual cells are changed from ~60Ah to 94Ah.

You may be mixing up the weight difference for the Range extender version (Rex) which is about 300lbs.

kevin

For existing i3, it's 1,195/1,270 (DIN). 1195 kg = 2630 lb.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2015/showroom/technical_data.html

According to official BMW web site, new will be 2,961 lbs (BEV). They don't specify DIN, so I assume it's first unladen; otherwise, they would've stated as such like in their current data. They also hint at no change to motor power.
http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=4F204919A1417ABDB63714544015B3E9?&id=2617&mid=

"Despite the slight weight increase, at 2,961 lbs (BEV), and 3,234 lbs (REX), the BMW i3 (94 Ah) ... The BMW i3 (94 Ah) is also powered by the same 3 phase AC synchronous electric motor developed in-house by the BMW Group. The motor generates an output of 170 hp and delivers 184 lb-ft of torque..."

2015/2016 SparkEV weighs 2866 lb. While lb/hp may lag i3, math works out to favor SparkEV, probably due to different motor characteristics. That is big IF, and worth taking on the new i3 when they come out. At worst, it'll certainly make the gap smaller.

Another interesting bit is SparkEV at 2866 lb is only 72 lb more than carbon fiber i3. Has anyone measured SparkEV at fully operational to see if it's indeed 2866 lb?

I just got a 2015 Spark and I've been hoping and waiting for the chance to pull up to a traffic light next to any sports car and leave him in the dust. I Just imagine it. I look over, try to get their attention. Drop it into neutral and race the engine... wait a minute.

Back