Replacement Tires - LRR All-Season

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCIE

I'm at about 12k miles and my front tires are shot, as expected. The tread on the rears is ok, though they of course suck in general.

I have Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tires on my Volt and have been very happy with them. No range loss when I installed them, and they're excellent in rain/snow. They are available in 185/55-15 for the front of Sparkie, but 195/55-15 isn't available for the rear.

The EP422 is available in 195/60-15. Does anyone have any thoughts on using that size in the rear? My rough calculations say it would be about 3/4 inch taller than stock. So, I'm not sure if clearance would be an issue.

If anyone has any other ideas for a LRR tire that has good rain/snow traction, I'd like to hear. I'm in CT and would like to have the option of driving in some light snow. I can use my Volt for anything heavy. I also need every mile I can get in the winter, so LRR is a must.

RamAirDave said:
I went with the Firestone Fuel Fighters and love them!! So much more grip and quieter!

How did they impact your range? I've been hesitant about them because reviews seem mixed.

I put on the Firestone Fuel Fighter a few month back on the front wheels, and I have seen almost no change in range.
May be from 5.4 miles/kWh to 5.3, but that is more likely dues to the fact that brand new tires are a little less efficient, and could also be because it has gotten hotter lately where I am (not using AC though).

I am noticing a 6% drop in range this summer (Michelin Premier A/S) vs last summer (stock tires). I switched over in winter and was not paying all that much attention at that time, but did not notice any significant drop at that time, whereas now in summer (i.e. 'max range' season), I noticed it in the numbers. I cannot say it is definitively the tires (could it be degradation of the battery), but given GM's battery TMS I would be surprised if it was the battery...

Edit: Even with that drop, no regrets on the tire, it's a great tire and am pretty impressed thus far with its performance in both rain and snow conditions.

CCIE said:
RamAirDave said:
I went with the Firestone Fuel Fighters and love them!! So much more grip and quieter!

How did they impact your range? I've been hesitant about them because reviews seem mixed.
well my tires before were absolute garbage...so I noticed immediate improvements. But I do see 5-6kwh used on trips frequently.. I would not hesitate to purchase again.

CCIE said:
I'm at about 12k miles and my front tires are shot, as expected. The tread on the rears is ok, though they of course suck in general.

I have Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tires on my Volt and have been very happy with them. No range loss when I installed them, and they're excellent in rain/snow. They are available in 185/55-15 for the front of Sparkie, but 195/55-15 isn't available for the rear.

The EP422 is available in 195/60-15. Does anyone have any thoughts on using that size in the rear? My rough calculations say it would be about 3/4 inch taller than stock. So, I'm not sure if clearance would be an issue.

If anyone has any other ideas for a LRR tire that has good rain/snow traction, I'd like to hear. I'm in CT and would like to have the option of driving in some light snow. I can use my Volt for anything heavy. I also need every mile I can get in the winter, so LRR is a must.

If the rears are ok, just buy a new pair of Ecopias for the front and be done (that's what I'm doing)? I'm asking in another thread whether anyone knows the difference between EP150's and EP422s. My rears look almost new.

(I"m in California whether it only rains in the winter; so good-enough is good enough for a leased car).

sphinx said:
If the rears are ok, just buy a new pair of Ecopias for the front and be done (that's what I'm doing)? I'm asking in another thread whether anyone knows the difference between EP150's and EP422s. My rears look almost new.

(I"m in California whether it only rains in the winter; so good-enough is good enough for a leased car).

I may do that. But, a lot of places give you grief if you try to install the new tires on the front. Have to convince them that there is no way around it.

I actually ran into that issue when I replaced my two front tires.

Although I had clearly mentioned it to the guy who checked me in, as I was waiting for the tires to be installed, I suddenly noticed the guy was removing the rear wheels. I though may be he is checking the brakes (they do a minimum inspection during tire changes), but then I see it taking the rear wheel to the front.

I had to jump in and let him know the car uses different tires in the front an in the rear, so he could not do that. He looks at me doubtfully, then went to check and acknowledge his mistake :)

Back