"Propulsion Power Is Reduced" + "Service Vehicle Soon," 12V Battery is New

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetteInSCW

Yesterday, driving my 2015 Spark EV, the "Propulsion Power Is Reduced" alarm came on, with the yellow "Service Vehicle Soon" light. Pulled over, read the manual. It says: "The vehicle may be driven at a reduced speed while this message is on, but maximum acceleration and speed may be reduced. This message is also displayed when the vehicle range is low."

Well, I drive like an old lady (I am an old lady), so acceleration is not the big issue. The car drives perfectly normally anyway. It had almost a full charge.

Another poster muadib69 posted a similar problem with a 2015 Spark, and others thought it was related to the 12V battery. However, I just had the 12V battery replaced a month ago. Checked the 12V battery it has 12.22 Volts.

Muadib69 had a dealer tell him the alarm was due to the Active Grille Shutter System. Apparently there is an electric motor that controls a grille at the front of the car that closes the grille when cooling/AC need is low, in order to improve aerodynamics. If the shutter system is not working, the alarm comes on.

Car has had no other issues in 2-1/2 years, except for 12V battery being replaced. It just had its 22,500 mi service done.
Does anyone have any ideas?

12.22 Volts is low , about 50% - full charge it should be around 12.6V .

I wouldn't think that 12.22V would cause a problem, but to be sure I would trickle charge the 12V battery overnight.

Today the 12V battery is down to 8.5 V. I called my repair shop to ask whether it's likely the new 12V battery (just put in a month ago) is defective, or if it's more likely something in the car is draining the battery. They haven't called back yet. Will update.

Checked battery again, it now reads 12.45V.
Anyway, I called AAA, who replaced the battery 2 months ago. They sent a tech who tells me the previous tech put the wrong battery in. The previous tech put in a 121R-C, which is not an AGM battery. This new tech looked up my 2015 Spark EV in his database--said it requires a 47-EC, which I believe is an AGM battery.

The new tech did not have a 47-EC battery. AAA is now going to send another tech to put in the correct battery. I looked up the 47-EC dimensions, and it does not appear to fit in my Spark EV, being 9.5" long.

Does anyone know the correct battery for my 2015 Spark EV? Probably need to call the dealership that services the car.

BetteInSCW said:
Checked battery again, it now reads 12.45V.
Anyway, I called AAA, who replaced the battery 2 months ago. They sent a tech who tells me the previous tech put the wrong battery in. The previous tech put in a 121R-C, which is not an AGM battery. This new tech looked up my 2015 Spark EV in his database--said it requires a 47-EC, which I believe is an AGM battery.

The new tech did not have a 47-EC battery. AAA is now going to send another tech to put in the correct battery. I looked up the 47-EC dimensions, and it does not appear to fit in my Spark EV, being 9.5" long.

Does anyone know the correct battery for my 2015 Spark EV? Probably need to call the dealership that services the car.
The correct battery is AC Delco , LN1AGM, 560CCA, 80RC, 50AH.

Bingo. Thank you. I just found that same Delco LN1AGM elsewhere on the forum.
I could put that in myself, right? Doesn't seem like it would require anything special.

BetteInSCW said:
Bingo. Thank you. I just found that same Delco LN1AGM elsewhere on the forum.
I could put that in myself, right? Doesn't seem like it would require anything special.

A wrench to undo the bolts, take out old battery, put in new, screw bolts back on.

BUT - you already paid for a battery from AAA. *THEY* should fix it. Call them and tell them the exact type of battery you need.

I would like to know how this turns out. Maybe you could tell us if there is any resolution.

I did locate the AC Delco LN1AGM 12V battery for my 2015 Spark EV. Installed it and the car is working well, no alarms.
AAA supposedly is going to come and pick up the battery they installed and refund me what I paid for it. I've spent
hours on the phone with AAA getting this straightened out. They don't have an AGM battery (in AZ) that fits a Spark EV.
The tech just put in what he had. Several other AAA personnel told me the tech had installed the wrong battery.
This is the downside of owning an electric car in Arizona--it's hard to find someone knowledgeable about them.
I am moving to CA next month (Riverside County) and I do hope there are more electric car owners and a wider
knowledge base on servicing them

Back