Short and Sweet, for now.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkE188275

I am a new Spark EV owner (2015, 30,000). I have read a few of the postings by owners complaining of short range due to temperature conditions and I have to agree with them. I will say that at this time I do enjoy the car and I am quite happy with it, however, my circumstances appear quite different than other owners. I do not use the car as a daily driver, and when I do drive the distance is from 3 to 20 miles. I only charge the car maybe once per week, although, because of infrequent driving the auxiliary battery drained out and I had to replace that one. This is my first Electric car, so it is a learning experience for me. I like the quickness and torque the motor provides, so it is fun to drive. It is cheap to own, for now, and it serves my driving needs, all-in-all, a good EV beginner car.

Depending on where you live and the time of year, it might be better to at least plug it in about an hour before you head out, mostly to warm or cool the battery pack as needed.

6 yrs on the original 12V battery is not too bad.... They have to go sometime.

I have a great record with all my lead acids by using a BatterMinder to charge each battery for a day or so about once a month.
This brand, an others, has an anti-sulfation function that extends the life of the battery while keeping it charged up.
The car has a built in cell phone for Onstar functions and a receiver for the key fob always using the 12V battery.

I've had mine almost 6 yrs and it still is fun to drive!

My 2016 Spark EV with 53,000 miles is my daily driver and I love it. In my 2 years of owning I’ve only ever replaced the tires. I usually charge it daily using the standard 110v charger and leave it plugged in. Occasional fast charges on trips.

I’m in Pittsburgh and in the winter I’ve been averaging 55-65 mile range with heat set to 70 on low and seat warmer on. 70-85 mile range in the spring/summer/fall.

Back