Edmunds/Carmax offered me $10,100 for 2015 Spark--Should I Sell?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetteInSCW

Several persistent emails from Edmunds have offered me $$$ for my 2015 Spark Ev. The most recent offered $10,100. I made an appointment to take it to the nearest Carmax location with the printed offer, title, keys, etc.

Can this be real? I paid only $11,000 for it in 2018. I'm nervous about keeping it in the Phoenix heat, although it is a great car for my minimal driving needs.

Anyone else selling to Edmunds?

Dang!
That would be tempting!
But then used Bolts are going up in value also. What will you replace it with?
I understand the Phoenix heat issue. Unlike the Bolt, I don't believe the Spark EV will use battery power to run the TMS when not plugged in.
But if you can keep it plugged in when it's killer hot it should be a good EV with no issues.

Interesting to hear the spark could be worth that much (thinking of a Bolt lately...)

May I ask how Edmund / Carmax would know to offer you money for your car?
Did you contact them initially?

Thanks

I have a 2015 and also in Mesa. How many miles are on yours?

I think I'd take $10K...that's what I paid 30 months ago.

So, what did Carmax offer? I tried to get an estimate once from Carmax once and they nitpicked every tiny thing out, offered me something like $6,500 and I sold it on Craigslist for $9500 easy.

I was surprised at how high that offer was, but then on checking the listings on cargurus it doesn't seem that out of line. It prompted me to think about trading in my Spark EV for a Bolt, but then I looked at prices for used Bolts, and they're a lot higher than I remembered or expected.

So, I put my Spark's info into Edmund's site and it comes back with an offer of $7,600 from Carmax, which is very good but not so good I'll want to sell it.

2016 Baby Blue Spark EV with 19000 miles.

Everything I’m reading says that both used cars and new cars are going up in value, as much as 30%. If you can sell the car and not need another one, I’d sell. Otherwise if you have to buy another one the gain from selling high will be a wash when you have to buy.

Edmunds sends you an email saying they are buying cars in your area, then you answer a detailed questionnaire online about the car. Then they make you a formal offer that is good for 7 days. They have you make an appointment with a local Carmax office. I made an appointment with the Tolleson, AZ office, about 30 miles from my house. I printed out the offer and was ready to go, but decided I like the car too much. It only has 20K miles on it and is in perfect shape. It's a 2015 LT, white. So I cancelled the appointment.

Just a week later, Edmunds sent me another email saying they would buy my car. I filled out the questionnaire again, but this time the offer was only $8500. So the timing was right for the first offer. I'm glad I didn't sell it, because it would have cost me probably another $10k to get a good low-mileage Chevvy Bolt. I like the Bolt, but my Spark is good for now.

^^^ I went through the same thought process. Except they low ball me the first time @ $7900 then two weeks later @ $9700. I had figured that I can just drive my ICE car for a while but it's really nice to loan my other car to friends especially right now when rental car price is insane.

Back