Climate "ghost" randomly selecting modes

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2396

Hi

I just bought a 2016 Spark EV yesterday. It was first registered in California then I BC and it e bought in Kelowna. 42000kms.
Yesterday and today while driving the dash was beeping and I look over and the climate screen on the center console is randomly picking settings!
It was just above freezing outside so I had windshield and feet selected, fn speed 1 or 2 and set to about 20C.
Pulled over turned car off and on and okay. But then happened again today.
Thoughts?

QuentinLittle80 said:
Hi

I just bought a 2016 Spark EV yesterday. It was first registered in California then I BC and it e bought in Kelowna. 42000kms.
Yesterday and today while driving the dash was beeping and I look over and the climate screen on the center console is randomly picking settings!
It was just above freezing outside so I had windshield and feet selected, fn speed 1 or 2 and set to about 20C.
Pulled over turned car off and on and okay. But then happened again today.
Thoughts?
I always suspect the 12 volt battery first. Have it charged and load tested to see if it is weak. I make it a practice of periodically charging the 12 volt batteries in my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. My charger has a desulfating function which is necessary when charging AGM batteries.

I'll keep an eye on the 12v battery.

But to follow up it's not just the climate settings. Basically whatever screen it's on changes by itself. Radio can change stations, volume, equalizer etc.
Work around is leave it on energy screen so there's fewer options to change by itself. Based on how expensive a second key was I'm afraid to ask Chevy to look at the problem.

Funny I have been in a few rental cars during business travel in the Covid age and have seen a few do this and worse after wiping with the provided sanitizing wipe. Usually the problem doesn't correct itself until the screen is dry and even a power cycle sometimes.

If you didn't get the service records from the previous owner, check for a round date sticker on the 12V battery. It will indicate its vintage. Knowing that date won't reliably tell you if the battery is good or not. 12V batteries need to be tested with a load tester. Check with your local parts store if they will do this for free.

The 12V battery supports all sorts of auxiliary functions, like the circuits you use in cold weather (wipers, window defroster, fan, etc).

It gets topped up during recharging, and possibly during driving if it gets low.

Oceanbreeze said:
..The 12V battery supports all sorts of auxiliary function..
It gets topped up during recharging, and possibly during driving if it gets low.
Technically the 12V system is powered by the DC to DC converter from the HV battery.
When the car is in ready mode with the DC to DC converter powering the 12V bus, the 12V battery is doing nothing but floating on that bus.

I borrowed a professional voltmeter a few years ago (from a friend) and checked voltage at the battery leads. In all 3 cases (car turned on, charging at 240V, DCFC) 13.4V (or maybe 13.6V? can't remember) is provided to the 12V accessory battery. I assume that the amps provided depend on how "full" the battery is. (i.e., enough amps are provided to keep voltage at 13.4V.)

So, if you drive 30-50 miles most days and charge every night, your battery will probably always be near a full charge, as it will be "charging" for several hours each day.

I plug a "trickle" smart charger to the 12V overnight about once a month to make sure that it gets a total "full" charge regularly. My 7 year old Spark still has the original 12V battery.

Back