Videos of Sparky Flexing Its Torque

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photoshop! Fake! Liar! We can see where you airbrushed out the rope where you were dragging the invisible weight, then sped up the video. You are a terrible person making all of this up trying to fool us all!
/sarcasm

Jeff, I admire your patience and the willingness to document the effort. Maybe you'll even get a few apologies from the skeptics. Good show!

The video + audio shows what's happening, and it is real. From dual tracks, I assumed it was constant rubber burning, which is not possible without limited slip differential. But the audio sounds like it's spurts of burn, traction control recovery, repeat. I actually had this kind of squeal occur quite frequently, just didn't realize I was leaving such nice tracks. "Had" in that I no longer burn rubber after seeing rapid tire wear. But this video makes me want to try it maybe just once more.

Thanks a lot, Jeff, for making me wear down my tires even quicker! ;-)

OK, how can mine do this?
I have the stock front tires back on. I don't care about them !

>Hold the TC button for ~5 seconds to deactivate TC and Stab control.
>Find some smooth low traction asphalt.
>Pump up tires to the max allowed to make the contact patch as small as possible.
>Press the Go Pedal to the floor.

I do hear the pulsing and you can see the marks have a pulse to them, as blog pointed out above. Maybe this IS normal behavior on that surface.
How does it do with the TC in normal mode?
I shall be testing it both ways! FUN! (Pretty much every 2 lane stop light, I do this if there is a sporty car next to me)

I don't understand your "try harder". Either you are flooring the little plastic pedal assembly or not. Don't hurt it. It doesn't require force. It's a position sensor.

Can anyone else repeat this?

Though the tires used to squeal on _every_ traffic light launch, this kind of prolonged squeal/recovery didn't happen on every surface. Not sure why some were better than others, but here's my theory. Due to strong acceleration, even a small bit of surface dirt would cause spin. When the dirt is moved out of the way due to spin, it squeals a bit and the car moves to next bit of dirt and repeat. But this is just a guess.

Not sure what year Jeff has, but mine is 2015, which has higher G acceleration than 2014. That may impact how well you make this kind of mark. 2014 might need more dirt on surface. Another option is to load down the rear so the weight distribution is less in front. Yet another is to have your child (or grandchild) who weigh much less than you do the driving, thus putting less load on front. If you can teach your dog to drive, that might work, too. :)

Mine is a '14.

My "try harder" was in reference to the end of the run. Everyone who was saying things like "You couldn't possibly make that 90 degree corner at that speed" had me doubting myself. The attempt 2 skids were not as long because I let off early and braked early. I could have stayed on it longer to better replicate the first run.

Again, no special prep went into either run. Tires were between 33 - 35 psi. First run was about 400lbs of passenger in the front seats, nothing in the rear. Second run was only me (200 lb driver).

Find someplace safe and have fun!

Jeff

Back