My Chevrolet App

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkivore

Did anyone else notice that Chevy updated the app and now it does not show you your charge status? WTF, that is like the best feature on there.

I've still got my charge status on the app, using version 4.5.0 with key fob subscription active, of course. No visible changes. Is it just the charge status that's missing?

There was a wonky update back in February where I couldn't log in and had to reinstall the program and re-agree to terms, which fixed the issue. Maybe you might need to do the same?

Yikes, as I went to the app on google play to uncheck "auto-update app", it updated... I didn't even have time to drop out of Wi-Fi and mobile data.

It seems like they tried to "Modernize" the user interface, but ended up butchering...everything?
  • EV range gone (includes state of charge and approximate miles/kilometers).
  • Charge status (unplugged, charging, eta) gone.
  • Efficiency (mi/kwh or kwh/100km) gone.
  • Start precondition and stop precondition has being replaced with a remote Start button that turns into remote stop.
seKyupQ.png

Vehicle status only has tire pressure and odometer readout, very bare bones.
GQt6tIz.png

1mLPg1m.png

3 second press to use command, very forgiving for the clumsy.

It still takes at least 30 seconds to update telemetry, so nothing has gotten any faster, really.

Honestly if I can't check my SoC remotely while I'm at a public charger or before planning a route, which is my main use case for subscribing to the service, I don't really think I want to keep the app. But I'll wait a week and see if a hotfix gets rolled out that restores functionality. Really kicking myself for not thinking to change auto-update settings in airplane mode...

edit: we can get ahold of devs by emailing [email protected] ... I think I'll ask what's going on.

Right, it sucks now. In fact I tried to remote start last night and kept holding it down and never worked. Gonna have to call them today. I def am not paying for this. Way to screw the legacy guys. Ugh.

Just finished talking with OnStar about the issue, they said for whatever reason it's not identifying the Spark as an EV hence the reduced vehicle status telemetry. A service ticket has been created (at least for me) and they'll be following up in a few days.

They recommend for anyone also having the issue to press the blue button on the car to speak to Onstar, or call them over the phone, I believe the number was 1-888-466-7827 -> technical -> apps.

Hopefully they realize this is a system-wide issue for Spark EV owners and roll out a hotfix for Android (and iphone?) customers.

I found a solution, after testing on my phone (using Android 10), it works seamlessly.

Fairly straightforward, though you will have to install the .xapk file outside of google play (they would never allow it).

1. Visit https://apkfab.com/mychevrolet/com.gm.chevrolet.nomad.ownership.
  2. Download the XAPK file (installation file for Android) on your phone, or click the little QR code to the right of the big blue button and point your phone's QR reader to get the direct download link.
  3. To install the XAPK file, APKFab linked me to XAPK manager. See https://apkfab.com/how-to-install-apk-xapk for the download link and steps.
  4. After installing, when you open MyChevrolet 4.5.0 for the first time, you'll need to enter login credentials again.
Annnnd full functionality restored.

XE7eBsQ.png

Oh cool, I might have to do that. I never got around to calling them over the weekend, but I am def calling onstar and complaining. I don;t mind using the workaround for the 4.5, but if I am paying for a monthly service app, I want the latest and greatest to work with my car. Thanks for getting in touch with them, I will do the same and hopefully they get it sorted out. Keep us posted here if you hear anything back, I will as well. Cheers.

Thank you Infinion! I was able to roll back my myChevrolet version; I am able to get SOC and range again.

I was referred to [email protected] for technical support and told that the issue with Spark EVs in the current myChevrolet version would be escalated. That was 4/9/21, I have not received any update. I will email him again.

4-27-2021 I too reported the issue to onstar they told me other EV’s were having the issue as well so yes they are looking into it.

GM will not allow the older (working) version of the MyChevrolet app to be installed on android phones (forces update to new version that doesn't work). If you have an Apple phone though you can use the app below.

Charge App: EV Charging by Bauen Energy Technologies, Inc.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/charge-app-ev-charging/id1485946405

I put in another call to Onstar and am awaiting a reply.

I received a call this morning from an Onstar agent. He simply apologized for the long delay (been about a month since I submitted a support ticket and posted here) and wished to inform me that others have posted the same issue (thanks guys!) and that there has been no resolution!

The follow-up was appreciated but the situation lasting for this long is completely absurd. To make matters worse, as braymond3 mentioned above, Onstar is now blocking the use of version 4.5 without a fix to their latest version.

YqJtjP4.png

I called back and created a brand new service ticket, but unsure what that is worth...

I systematically went through older xapk versions online and found one that has yet to be blocked by Onstar.
Version 4.1 still works and is linked below, this time on APKpure:

https://apkpure.com/mychevrolet/com.gm.chevrolet.nomad.ownership/variant/4.1.0 (3407)-XAPK

I've let Onstar know that I'd be cancelling app renewal until the issue is fixed. Continuing to pay while downgrading feels more like a fool's errand. At least I'll be able to use what I paid for until the subscription lapses (they certainly didn't offer to credit my account).

Infinion said:
I've let Onstar know that I'd be cancelling app renewal until the issue is fixed. Continuing to pay while downgrading feels more like a fool's errand. At least I'll be able to use what I paid for until the subscription lapses (they certainly didn't offer to credit my account).

Yesterday morning I called into Onstar to cancel my service. I was connected with Janet and explained the reason for my intent to cancel. Janet was aware of my issue and attempted to troubleshoot with a straightforward logout and login procedure. That did not work.

Janet is a very seasoned OnStar agent who was also very accommodating. After explaining that I was unable to use the app for its intended purpose while paying, she made sure to retain me as a customer by waiving my MyChevrolet subscription charge for two months, the month of April and also May while this issue is sure to be ongoing, and when she transferred me to a conference call with Jen, who is part of the technical team, Janet instructed Gen in my presence that the promise would be followed through and would include a 1-year loyalty discount that would reduce the subscription cost to $10 after the free 2 months. These are the individuals keeping customers with OnStar. I have, today, confirmed that OnStar has made good on their promise with an email detailing the duration of these discounts.

After Gen collected further technical information from me on the details of this broken app, I was transferred to Irene with the technical team, where she assured me that my service ticket had been escalated to the highest level (level 3) that they have, and I would be contacted once the person assigned to my case had been given further feedback on my (our collective) issue.

So to summarize, call OnStar to cancel your subscription, and make sure to thoroughly explain your situation clearly, citing that you were unable to use the app as it was intended, to read the EV telemetry for the Spark EV for your purposes, and OnStar will take care of you and cover for the app developers...

I would still encourage using the older version 4 as it still seems to be working, and I'll update when I get resolution and version 5 works again.

Thanks Infinion, yeah this is super frustrating. I spoke with them and talked to a few techs. They got my connection to the app working again, but I still and using the new app. I already only pay $7 a month for the service, so I really don't need the discount, but I still would like my app to give me the charge status and batter % like it is supposed to. I hope they rectify this. Thanks for all your diligence on this, I really appreciate it. I was planning on calling them again myself.

ElectroPowered said:
Infinion said:
I systematically went through older xapk versions online and found one that has yet to be blocked by Onstar.
Version 4.1 still works and is linked below, this time on APKpure:

https://apkpure.com/mychevrolet/com.gm.chevrolet.nomad.ownership/variant/4.1.0 (3407)-XAPK

There are multiple apks in this xapk file - which one should I install?

You install them all. An Xapk file is a group apk installation file format. You have to use an Xapk installer like I mentioned in a previous post to properly install it. You can grab an Xapk installer from google play, but I recommend APK Manager in the following link because it worked in my instance: https://apkfab.com/xapk-manager/com.apkfab.installer

Hi Infinion,

The link you posted on 10apr2021 now (on 09aug2021) goes to ver 5.4.x and gives the same updated broken app. Earlier you posted a link that still worked for me: https://apkpure.com/mychevrolet/com.gm.chevrolet.nomad.ownership/variant/4.1.0%20%283407%29-XAPK

That is rev 4.1 and has all the functionality I was looking for i don't know how you found the old versions but it was a life saver. Thank you very much.

REvans2001 said:
Hi Infinion,

The link you posted on 10apr2021 now (on 09aug2021) goes to ver 5.4.x and gives the same updated broken app. Earlier you posted a link that still worked for me: https://apkpure.com/mychevrolet/com.gm.chevrolet.nomad.ownership/variant/4.1.0%20%283407%29-XAPK

That is rev 4.1 and has all the functionality I was looking for i don't know how you found the old versions but it was a life saver. Thank you very much.

No worries, R! I've also been using 4.1. Try asking Onstar for a discount too, that may motivate them to actually resolve this issue. I hope we don't have to wait for the new generation of EVs to come out to get a proper update...

Recently I checked in with Onstar on how they could possibly have forgotten about the Spark EV owners all these months. I've got a fresh case number to hopefully get info.

I did find something interesting out. While not a fix, the MyGMC app does work with the same accounts used in the MyChevrolet app, although they seem to suffer the same problems with all updates after V5 with regard to the Spark EV's electric telemetry... Really wish we could use the newest version, the update speed has been improved significantly. Maybe half as fast as the Tesla app now?

Back