Won't turn off and cannot drive. ??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawl

First time this has happened, but this morning my 2015 got all weird on me. The main problem now is that it will not turn off. It appears to turn off, but then starts up with the "Initializing...Wait to Shift" then the screen starts up, but despite allowing the shift to move to D, R, etc., it does nothing. Try to turn it off again, same thing happens. I've plugged it in, and assume nobody can drive off with it from my driveway despite it being "on."

Yes, there are various "service" notices (brake assist, stabilitrak, battery charging system) that it cycles through.

Yikes.

Any workaround someone might know so I can just get it down to the dealer? (or will I need to get it towed?

Thanks

I'd unplug from the EVSE.
Then disconnect the Negative 12V battery terminal under the hood. Leave it disconnected for a few minutes for good luck...
Although, I'm not certain that will shut off the system at that point.
The DC to DC converter would still be powering the 12V bus.

Good Luck, that's a strange problem to have.
Could it be the Blue power button has failed? I try to go easy on that thing.

Thanks, came out now (next day) and the car is dead as a door nail. It’s in a position on my drive that will be devilishly difficult to get towed. Yikes. Plus, the key will not turn (honestly never put that in to test it, but always assumed it would at least turn.)

NORTON said:
I'd unplug from the EVSE.
Then disconnect the Negative 12V battery terminal under the hood. Leave it disconnected for a few minutes for good luck...
Although, I'm not certain that will shut off the system at that point.
The DC to DC converter would still be powering the 12V bus.

Good Luck, that's a strange problem to have.
Could it be the Blue power button has failed? I try to go easy on that thing.

Pawl said:
Thanks, came out now (next day) and the car is dead as a door nail. ....
You left it with the 'Stuck power on' and didn't plug it in and just walked away? :?
Now both batteries are run down.
This exercise has harmed the 12V battery. The HV battery is fine. Lead acid batteries are harmed by sitting around discharged.

>Do you have jumper cables and another car?
>You could buy a 'Jump Starter' battery thing, and get the car started and then drive it to the dealer.

But since you didn't disconnect the battery yesterday, you probably don't know how to 'Jump Start' a car....
Good luck... :(

Funny, I was actually going to suggest that maybe the 12V battery was failing. This would be purely conjecture on my part, but seemed possible to me.

Porsche said:
Funny, I was actually going to suggest that maybe the 12V battery was failing. This would be purely conjecture on my part, but seemed possible to me.
Indeed, it was the 12-volt battery that had given up the ghost. I've replaced it and she's back on the road again.

NORTON said:
You left it with the 'Stuck power on' and didn't plug it in and just walked away? :?

Where did you get that idea? Pawl said he left it plugged in, and even assumed it was safe since no one could drive it away. If he discovered it dead the next day, it was after being plugged in.

NORTON said:
But since you didn't disconnect the battery yesterday, you probably don't know how to 'Jump Start' a car....
Good luck... :(

How could he disconnect the battery "yesterday"? Yesterday, was the day before you suggested it. His last post was within a few hours of yours. He probably discovered the car dead before he even saw your post.

Back