Gm replaced high voltage battery under waranty

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two20142lts

I got the drive battery replaced in both my 2014 spark EV's under warranty. It took persistence and two dealerships but I finally got it done. Both the replacement packs are the LG Chen ones that were used in the 2015 and 2016 spark. The BMS was reprogrammed to accommodate the different cell voltages. Both cars were down to 60 miles of range and now back up to 80 miles of range. The warranty threshold is 39 amp hours below that the warranty kicks in. I managed to grab a copy of the internal warranty submission which states the battery should be at 39 amp hours capacity or above. I've got pictures showing the cell voltages of the a123 LFP pack and the new LG Chen pack. I'll try to answer questions as time permits.

Congratulations!
And good job on the persistence!
I'd be very interested in hearing your story and the specs on the old and new packs!

I don't know why but my '14, with the A123 cells, is still doing great at 97k miles.

Sorry if this sounds dense, but the 12volt in my ‘15 went kaput recently and I had to replace it (almost $300 by the dealer). Is this the battery that could have been covered [with enough persistence]?

Pawl said:
Sorry if this sounds dense, but the 12volt in my ‘15 went kaput recently and I had to replace it (almost $300 by the dealer). Is this the battery that could have been covered [with enough persistence]?
No. We're talking about the High Voltage battery pack.
And BTW, you spent the most money possible going to the dealer for the simple 12V battery replacement...
But then, dealers got to eat....

So the news today is that GM will no longer replace the batteries, but instead, depending on which state you live, will but back your vehicle.

Any guidance on how to determine whether the warranty kicks in? Can I make that determination by myself, or does a dealer need to?

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/04/28/spark-ev-replacement-batteries-coming/

GM now says Spark EV traction batteries are just out of stock at the moment and will be produced again.
We shall see . . . We have a 2015 with less than 8k on the odometer. Range is still indicated as 80-85 miles. Love the car but scary to think there is no repair available if traction battery develops issues.

Joe M in WV

New to forums
I read through the threads and was happy to here someone got the warranty to work, its been several months since that incorrect/correct statement from GM. But if there is a will there is a way :!: . Is there someone to watch on when battery packs will be manufactured again? Any one staying up to date...tumble weeds in the wind from the latest statement?

I currently have 14' 2lt and 61-59 mil. drop 3.2 to 2.8 kwh fluctuations... Top 4.2

Till then I am driving this EV till it ain't drive no mo' have too.

Back