How to change window switch?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porsche

I need to replace the front passenger window switch on my 2015 Spark EV. The dealer wanted a crazy amount, $175 just for the labor, to do this replacement. It looks pretty simple, remove one screw, pop the panel off (the switch panel, not the entire door panel), replace the switch, then put everything back together, maybe 10 minutes max. I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrfn40Nosdw

The video is close, but not exact. It is a Spark (not an EV), but it's the driver's side, and the switches aren't exactly the same configuration. I couldn't find any other videos or instructions that were helpful.

Now here's the problem. I figured, easy peasy, I'll get this done in just a few minutes. But... I removed the screw, then just couldn't get the panel off. I didn't try too hard, fearing that I might pull it from the wrong side and break the entire door panel. So, any advice? Anyone do this before? Anyone have a service manual with details? If the video is close enough, then I assume I'd push or pry from the sides first, then pry from the front (presumably, prying from the back first would break something, as it seems to slide into the back).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Porche,

Did you end up working on this?

I don't have an active sub with a service manual atm, but speaking generally for GM and Chevy's, if you removed that first screw, the next logical step is to take the interior door cover off. The second screw for that is hidden in the little compartment you put your fingers in to open the door.

After you remove the screws, use a chisel or flat head and work your way around the corners of the entire door cover, specifically around the bottom , separating any plastic clips. Once you do that, it should give, allowing you to lift the whole thing up and out so you can work behind it to get that switch module out. The plastic cover for the mirror might get in your way, so it could be a good idea to pry that off too.

You should be able to look up almost any modern chevy and have the instructions be relatable to the Spark. The Chevy Cruze is one example with the 4-door power windows and child lock that you can't remove with one screw.

Infinion said:
Hi Porche,

Did you end up working on this?,,,

... the next logical step is to take the interior door cover off...

...The Chevy Cruze is one example with the 4-door power windows and child lock that you can't remove with one screw...

Thanks for the reply. You know, your comment is interesting. I've looked at just about every video I could find for this for every Chevy model. Every single one shows the switch panel easily removed without taking off the door panel. Well, all except for one. There's a video, no surprise, for the Cruze, one video, where the guy takes the entire door panel off. But if you really look at it, I suspect the guy didn't know what he was doing. He took off the entire door panel, then popped the switches out from behind. He did take out that one screw, but it had nothing to do with removing the door panel. I think he just didn't realize (and didn't even try) to pop out the switch panel. I Could be wrong, but that's the way it looked to me, especially since with every other Chevy model, the switch panel just pops out.

By the way, thanks for many of your replies, even the occasional debate:). It's great conversing with someone who gets it:)

Porsche said:
Infinion said:
Hi Porche,

Did you end up working on this?,,,

... the next logical step is to take the interior door cover off...

...The Chevy Cruze is one example with the 4-door power windows and child lock that you can't remove with one screw...

By the way, thanks for many of your replies, even the occasional debate:). It's great conversing with someone who gets it:)

Cheers, I really appreciate that, the feeling is mutual!

Thanks for the reply. You know, your comment is interesting. I've looked at just about every video I could find for this for every Chevy model. Every single one shows the switch panel easily removed without taking off the door panel. Well, all except for one. There's a video, no surprise, for the Cruze, one video, where the guy takes the entire door panel off. But if you really look at it, I suspect the guy didn't know what he was doing. He took off the entire door panel, then popped the switches out from behind. He did take out that one screw, but it had nothing to do with removing the door panel. I think he just didn't realize (and didn't even try) to pop out the switch panel. I Could be wrong, but that's the way it looked to me, especially since with every other Chevy model, the switch panel just pops out.

Honestly I tried removing the same panel with my own Spark and couldn't do it without risking eating up the plastic with more force or buying a better spudger tool. I'd be shocked if they glued it in place, but I'd like to imagine the dude working on the Chevy Cruze in that video had a similar struggle. He probably failed to do it and 'cheated' by resorting to removing the whole trim panel off the door, so I'd tend to agree.

Are you talking about the "Auto Repair Guys" with title "CHEVROLET CRUZE FRONT MASTER WINDOW SWITCH RPELACEMENT REMOVAL"?
It looks like at 3:05 there actually is a bracket that the screw in the door tray fastens onto, so it's necessary after all. Otherwise, the trim panel wouldn't separate. I almost missed it.

At 5:34 it looks like there are a bunch of screws that might be holding that tray assembly in place from underneath, and then they explain there are clips that are inaccessible from above. And at 7:11 you can see there are plastic retainers that sit between the buttons, preventing the switch module from being lifted out, so they push it down to free it. IMO that's such a horrible design, adds so many re&re steps when the one screw should be enough. For the successor to the Chevy Cobalt, it's pretty disappointing to see (here's what they did before the Cruze, image below). GM is moving further in the direction of convolution rather than simplicity.

Knowing this, I feel like the Spark also needs to have its door trim panel removed, rather than it being glued or anything totally unreasonable.

Look at the Chevy Cobalt's replacement procedure. Yeah, it's a smaller module because it's a 2-dr coupe, but it sure as hell is a lot more straightforward..!
https://imgur.com/a/3FZva1N

Back