Battery warranty advice for 2014 Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only getting 40-42 miles of range during the winter now on my 2016 Spark EV. Any way to know if that's degraded enough to have warranty coverage without using the apps/accessories mentioned here? I do have almost 2 years left on the warranty. But my daily commute leaves me with only 10 miles to spare, so I'd sure like to have it dealt with if possible!

amacy said:
I'm only getting 40-42 miles of range during the winter ....
Winter has been horrible lately.
Depending on where you live,,, hang in there. Spring is on the way!
As they say, "It gets better!".

How about on my Bolt, I saw on the app: 100% SOC, 129 miles range.
This is after a few days of pushing thru snow and negative to single digits temps. And a precondition on all starts, even unplugged.

That's 50% of the EPA rated range.
(If it was warm and I drove slow I could see 150% of the rated range on the GOM. But I can't drive slow.... :cool: )

So you are seeing a similar GOM display.
Trust me, It gets better.

amacy said:
I'm only getting 40-42 miles of range during the winter now on my 2016 Spark EV. Any way to know if that's degraded enough to have warranty coverage without using the apps/accessories mentioned here? I do have almost 2 years left on the warranty. But my daily commute leaves me with only 10 miles to spare, so I'd sure like to have it dealt with if possible!

What matters is the measured battery capacity, not the reported range. For example, my 2014 Spark is showing 44-45 miles of range right now with the super cold weather we've had, and I typically had 65-68 miles of range in the summer and fall. However, I'm still seeing the same usable capacity of around 13.5 kWh: it's just that my mi/kWh economy has been much lower thanks to running the heat.

Charge to full and watch the energy usage screen. Calculate your usable capacity once you've run it down more than 50%. See how that compares with the usable capacity you were seeing in better weather, and note that your mi/kWh is probably 40% less than it was in warmer weather. This all depends on how you drive and how much you use the heat, of course. If your actual capacity is decreasing significantly or is reporting well below the warranty threshold, then you should definitely take it in to have it tested.

EDIT: There are better guides in these forums, but basically you're looking at dividing your kWh used by your percentage on the energy usage screen. Let's say you have 45% driving, 5% climate control, and 3% battery conditioning and you've used 8.5 kWh: 8.5/0.53=16 kWh usable capacity. There's a lot of wiggle room because the values aren't precise, but it gives you a rough idea. "25%" could mean anywhere from 24.5-25.4% and "8.5 kWh" could mean anywhere from 8.45-8.54 kWh (presumably).

To follow up on my previous posts about our 2015 Spark EV that died last July, we have been working with Capital Chevrolet in San Jose to get a new replacement Bolt EV. The car that we ordered (Ice Blue 2023 2LT) is now on the train headed to California, and the last reported position was Nevada. The Chevrolet repurchase team has given us an offer letter that we have accepted, and they have agreed to pay our gasoline expenses for the six months that our Spark has been disabled.

• Anyone that has had a dealer replace the main battery in their 2014 Spark EV, could you post the name of the dealer and where that dealer is located? I am in Kansas City meaning of course there may be no dealers around here that have ever performed a 2014 Spark EV main battery replacement.

Our 2014 Spark has been approved for a warranty battery replacement by Hendrick Chevrolet in Merriam, Kansas, but they say they cannot get the parts. They have had our Spark sitting on their lot since May 2022.

I was contacted by a Chevrolet EV concierge on November 2, 2022 who told me they have a battery for our car and to pick a dealer to have the work done. I told him that the car was already at Hendrick Chevrolet and gave him the service manager's contact info. I then gave the EV concierge contact info to the Service Manager at Hendrick Chevrolet so that they could get in touch with each other.

More time went by so I contacted the Chevrolet Service Manager and he gave me various reasons why they were not able to get the battery yet, I think the reason was that the EV concierge was not able or did not have shipping information for the battery.

The EV concierge was supposed to get back to me with an update, still waiting for him to contact me back with status. When I ask for status from the Chevrolet Service Manager, he says they do not have any information yet on the battery that is supposed to be available for our Spark.

Any recommendations on where to elevate this to?

(We are not interested in a trade or buyback or any deal that involves us spending more money :roll: )

Well my warranty battle is over.

I ended up taking the "GM Loyalty credit" and buying a new 2023 Bolt EUV. That deal was finalized yesterday (17 Jan 2023).
The GM credit was worth $3000 (10% original MSRP of the spark). I think this was my best option because it allowed me to keep my spark and still get some kind of compensation from GM for the warranty issue.

I feel like it was a moral loss since in my opinion GM avoided their full warranty obligations by not fixing my car or at least paying a dollar value equal to the cost of fixing my car ($14k). However, for me it was still the best option since it allowed me to get an EV with longer range while still keeping my spark.

sparkkcam2 said:
  • Anyone that has had a dealer replace the main battery in their 2014 Spark EV, could you post the name of the dealer and where that dealer is located? I am in Kansas City meaning of course there may be no dealers around here that have ever performed a 2014 Spark EV main battery replacement.

Our 2014 Spark has been approved for a warranty battery replacement by Hendrick Chevrolet in Merriam, Kansas, but they say they cannot get the parts. They have had our Spark sitting on their lot since May 2022.

Any recommendations on where to elevate this to?

(We are not interested in a trade or buyback or any deal that involves us spending more money :roll: )

I do not think you will find a place. Not because the dealer is unable but because GM has discontinued the parts required to complete the conversion on 2014 spark EV to enable them to use the newer LG packs. I waited and worked with GM for more than 18 months trying to get a battery replacement or some kind of "no cost" resolution but was unable to achieve it. GM even reached out to their international suppliers and had a part shipped from someplace overseas (I'm guessing Korea since the spark is based on a Daewoo design). However, when it arrived and was inspected it did not pass quality checks, so they were not able to use it to fix my car.

As I stated in some previous posts, I tried to get a Lawer to advise me but none of them wanted to take the case. However, my amateur opinion after reading the Magnuson Moss act and some relevant case law is. GM is only obligated to repurchase your car for KBB value. If that offer is acceptable to you than you can try to get your case transferred to the "GM District Service Manager" for your region. That is the person who I ended up talking to who made me the KBB buyback offer and presented my other options.

Factors that could be different for you than me:
  • supply shortages are ending so maybe GM will restart production on the A123 to LG conversion kits.
  • each state has different warranty rules that modify the basic Magnuson Moss federal standard, so Kansas might have more protections than Nevada does.
  • maybe you are a better negotiator than I am

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you get a better deal than me.

twinsemi said:
To follow up on my previous posts about our 2015 Spark EV that died last July, we have been working with Capital Chevrolet in San Jose to get a new replacement Bolt EV. The car that we ordered (Ice Blue 2023 2LT) is now on the train headed to California, and the last reported position was Nevada. The Chevrolet repurchase team has given us an offer letter that we have accepted, and they have agreed to pay our gasoline expenses for the six months that our Spark has been disabled.

Are you able to share the value of the repurchase offer?
Is it in line with KBB values or were you able to negotiate a better offer?

Hello,

I understand your frustration with the battery capacity testing process for your 2014 Spark EV. It seems like you're facing challenges in getting a clear answer regarding the current kWh capacity of your battery. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some advice.

Firstly, it's important to note that I'm an AI language model, so I don't have real-time information on specific dealership practices or the current state of battery testing for the Spark EV. However, I can offer some general insights that might help you navigate this situation.

The owner's manual stating that a dealer service technician can determine the battery energy capacity suggests that there should indeed be a test available. The fact that the first dealer dismissed this possibility seems to be in contradiction with the manual's information. It was a good decision to contact corporate, and their recommendation to visit a different dealer who claimed to perform the test was a step in the right direction.

When dealing with the second dealer, it's unfortunate that they couldn't provide you with the measured kWh capacity and GM specs. It's reasonable for you to want to see the results of the test, especially considering the warranty threshold and your concerns about battery degradation. The salesperson's promise to have the information on your paperwork was not fulfilled, which further adds to the frustration.

To address your specific questions:

Is there a test they can do to determine the kWh capacity of the battery?

The owner's manual suggests that such a test exists, and it's possible that the dealerships have the means to perform it. However, it seems there might be a lack of clarity or communication within the dealership network regarding this procedure.

Am I crazy for wanting to see the results of the test?

No, you are not crazy for wanting to see the results. As a vehicle owner, it's your right to know the condition of your vehicle, especially when it comes to a significant component like the battery. Transparency and clear communication are essential.

If you have been through the battery warranty/replacement process, how did you do it? Should I be saying something else?

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have access to real-time information on specific dealership practices. However, when discussing the battery warranty/replacement process, it might be helpful to be more explicit in your requests. Instead of just asking for a battery capacity test, you could inquire about the specific procedure they use to measure kWh capacity and degradation. Additionally, you may consider mentioning your concern about battery degradation and the warranty threshold.

Since you are already in touch with corporate, it's good that they are getting involved and reaching out to their EV department for guidance. Hopefully, they will be able to provide you with a satisfactory resolution next week.

In the meantime, you could consider seeking advice from online forums or communities of Spark EV owners who have gone through similar experiences. They might be able to share their insights, offer suggestions, or provide contact information for reliable service centers.

Remember to remain persistent and assertive in seeking the information you need. Being well-informed about your vehicle's condition and warranty coverage is important. Good luck with your discussions with corporate, and I hope you receive the answers and support you require.

Back