gearbox oil change

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruslan

Hello everyone,
I'm from Belarus. Guys who changed the oil in the gearbox? Is there an instruction or a video on how to do this? I already have 60k mileage. I want to change.
Thanks in advance.

I think it's due at 97k miles per the Owner's Manual. I'm at 92k miles so it's time!
It takes a high end ATF.
Mine is going to get Mobil 1 ATF of the proper grade.
I have seen instructions. I'll track them down and post them here.
You drop the oil pan, catch and measure the old quantity, change a filter and the pan gasket, and pour in that same amount from the fill plug,,,
I believe.... At least this is my technique. The shop manual calls for hooking up to the dealer equipment to run the drive unit fluid pump and fill it then to the fill plug,,,, I believe ....

or you can share information about what exactly you need to remove the pallet. According to the information on the forum, I read that you only need to drain and fill through the cork. Sorry for my English)

I'll try to find the info I have somewhere.
The way I remember it, there is no drain plug. You must drop the oil pan and probably replace the gasket.
There is a fill plug on the upper side area.

I'll post it someday. Until then it is not urgent for you to do it.

It's nearing time for me at almost 92kMi...

I could see running the pump to purge any lines / passageways, but don't know how to send the command to do this over the OBDII port.

Anyone have a service manual laying around to verify the procedure?

My '14 Spark EV is now past due for this fluid change.
My plan is to ignore the amount of old fluid in the cooler and pump circuit and just change the amount that is in the pan when I remove it.
I found the gasket on Rockauto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,transmission-automatic,fluid+pan+gasket,8612
They used to list a filter but I can't find it with them. There is a magnet on the bottom of the pan. That will be interesting to clean!
They list Mobil 1 ATF LV, (low viscosity, I think). Chevy calls out their ATF HP. I'm sure there will be no difference in performance which ever ATF you use.

Please post any info on this subject!!

The correct fluid for the drive is GM# 19369363 Dexron 212B. This fluid is specifically for all GM plug-ins only, except for the Gen 1 Volt. The Spark EV is listed on the back of the bottle. Neither one of Mobil 1 fluids is correct. The HP is for 8 speeds that have a shutter issue and I believe the LV or ULV is for the 10 speeds.

Mobil 1 hp is the right one

From manual

Electric Drive Unit DEXRON® HP Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. 19300536, in
Canada 19300537).

SERVICE BULLETIN
File in Section: -
Bulletin No.: 17-NA-398
Date: December, 2017
INFORMATION
Subject: Information on Correct Fluid for Bolt EV, Spark EV and Cadillac CT6 PHEV Hybrid
Electric Drive Units (Transmissions)

Brand: Model: Model Year: VIN: Engine: Transmission:
from to from to
Cadillac CT6
2017 2017 4EL70 (MRD)
Chevrolet
Bolt EV 1ET25 (MMF)
Spark EV 2014 2016 1ET35 (MME)
Involved Region or Country North America, N.A. Export Regions and Korea
Information
All of the vehicle applications listed above require DEXRON HP transmission fluid part
SK/Valvoline Fluid (GM Part No. 19331925, in Canada 19331926) from local stock/other
dealers.
If the GM part is not readily available, Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP (Exxon Part No.
19353429, in Canada 19353430) can be used.
Version 1
Modified Released December 15, 2017

Back