2014 Spark EV Battery Warranty Details

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertC

Greetings! I am hoping I could get some insight on the 2014 Spark EV 8 year Battery Warranty. I have 5 months left. This has been impossible to find. I am referring to the language provided by the brochure, "Battery limited warranty. The Spark EV battery warranty covers 161 battery components in addition to the thermal management system, charging system and electric drive components. "

The dealership found that the high voltage A/C thermal management system was low on refrigerant and condenser assembly was leaking. Tech diag foun DTC's P1E00, P0534, and P0071 set as current within various control modules. Tech provided estimate for replacement of the failed condenser assembly as well as performing maintenance fliud flushing on 3 additional portions of the thermal management/cooling systems. Tech advises once the ambient temperature reaches higher daily temperatures the electric propulsion system will not function and will require towing to a repair facility.

My question is What are the 161 battery components and how could I find out? Shouldn't warranty cover this if this is the thermal management system? I've tried twitter @ChevyElectric but all they say is Dealerships are the experts in the field, but when I ask about the dealership about the warranty details, they say call GM customer service. I love this car but I'm not getting anywhere with this. Any advice/experience would be appreciated!

1st question is why was the condenser leaking.
As long as it was not damaged by hitting something, your position is that it is covered.
If hit by road debris, you would go after your car insurance policy for that damage.
The key here is: "high voltage A/C thermal management system"
BUT FOR the fact that the car is an EV, there would not be a "high voltage A/C thermal management system".
You should call or chat GM @ https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/contact-us
Keep good notes, including who you talk to and date/time.
If they refuse to pay for the repair to the thermal management system, pay with the most respectable credit card you have and sign your name "under duress" or "denied warranty" don't lose the receipts.
Alternatively in some jurisdictions you can post the amount due at the clerk of the court to pick up the car. The dealership will have to initiate a lawsuit to get paid, and then you can add GM as a party in your counterclaim, saving filing fees.

The ambiguity in the warranty verbiage is not going to be in the favor of GM. In fact the 2014 Spark EV warranty book has more reference to components not on the car than to the EV components. It is a total joke.

Immediately after the cooling system is fixed, you must run the dog piss out of the car and stress the battery, to test it.
Post the quote for the repair, please.
Good luck.

Thank you for the helpful reply. It shouldn't have been damaged by road debris so it should be covered. I didn't know there was a difference with high voltage A/C thermal management system and thermal management system as that's what the dealership's sole EV tech wrote on the invoice. See link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RQ2ItIe4DC1e4UAfnkOk-Qd9YnrPWGeT/view?usp=sharing

I don't have high hopes for Chevy EV customer service but I'll try that chat soon. They better not just say go to the experts in the field aka dealership...

Back