[Article] Partially Reverse Battery Degradation in NMC Li-ion Batteries

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infinion

Did anyone catch this article in '22? I'd lost the article and was only just now able to type in the right keywords to uncover it again.
Article
https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news...ing-batteries-bringing-dead-lithium-back-life
and the paper
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04168-w

The article is a quick read and you'll get a gist of what might be going on under your seats and what you could do to maintain the health of the Spark's cells.

Some capacity loss comes from a quantity of lithium that has precipitated in an inactive region of the cell where it shouldn't be, and no longer participates in the electrochemical activity that gives the Li-ion cell its capacity.
These researchers suggest that a brief rapid discharge step after charging will be an opportune time to induce forces on those disconnected islands of lithium that will nudge them toward the anode where they're supposed to be. Once they are close enough, the lost lithium will dissolve and reconstitute itself on the anode and shuffle between the anode and cathode once again, allegedly recovering as much as 30% of the cell's life.

From what I gather, results probably won't manifest themselves right away and depend on the size of the dendrite, its shape and orientation, and how far away it is from the anode (it's a big shot in the dark). The best you could do if you're interested in trying to recover capacity is to just do it consistently. Use departure charging and pull a 100kW discharge shortly after unplugging. I imagine itll be hard to measure success, but I suppose if you do a capacity test every once in a while you might be able to catch something.

This paper was specifically discussing NMC chemistries, so I can't say it would work on 2014s that have A123's LFP makeup, but it could be worth a shot if that chemistry suffers from isolated lithium as well.

Last edited:
Back