Buying experience and a few questions

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilmat

I had no intention of buying an electric car last Friday, Aug. 23rd, but I was curious about them, so I spent the next several hours reading up on the new automotive technology. I bought a Lexus CT200 gas-hybrid based on its appearance and the Lexus reputation last year, but sold it after six months. That it "fits like a glove" made the driving experience fun at first, but then it got to be a pain. I got to the point where getting into the driver's seat was akin to OJ trying to put the glove on. I also tired of the lack of performance as the power train in the CT200 was virtually identical to a Toyota Prius.

After reading the reviews of all of the available plug-in electric cars under $40k, the Spark EV stood out against the others in terms of performance, so I made contact with the Internet sales manager of my local Chevy dealer the following day and set up an appointment to have a close look and test drive a Spark EV. Getting in and out of the little car was a piece of cake. So far so good.

"Floor it" said the sales manager after we pulled out of his dealership onto the boulevard. So I did, and I was impressed. Cruising down the 880 freeway at 60 I punched it again and ran it up to a few whiskers below 80. Again I was impressed.

"If I buy one of these, do I qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit and the $2500 cash rebate from the state (CA)?" I asked.

"Yes sir," was the reply.

"How 'bout the white HOV stickers?"

"Those too," he said.

"Let's head back and see if you have one in stock in light blue or light silver," I said. The one I test drove appeared to be black or something similar. I had a black car when I was in college four decades ago. Never again.

Twenty-five minutes later the Internet sales manager sent their only L2 Spark EV in Ice Metallic to the get-ready shop while we started the paperwork. After a quick run to my bank to obtain a check and the routine meeting with the finance manager, along with numerous signatures and initials, I became the new owner of a Spark EV.

It's two days and 65 miles later as I write this, and I have a few questions for those of you in California who beat me to the punch:

1) Is it necessary to wait until your permanent plates arrive before you can apply for the $2500 California rebate check, or can you just state "Temp" in the license plate block. (I tried the DMV phone line for this issue several times but couldn't get through.)

2) Same question regarding the white EV HOV stickers. Beyond the $8 fee, what hoops will I have to jump through to get a pair of these coveted stickers? As near as I can tell, I have to mail in the original 13-foot long yellow copy of the sales contract along with the DMV application form and the check. I hate to part with the original purchase agreement.

3) And finally, clear up this mystery for me if you can. My Spark came with a black trim at the bottom of both sides identifying it as an EV, but it was the only one of the four Spark EVs my dealer had in stock that did. Is it part of the L2 package like the leatherette seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel? I didn't pay that much attention to the three others that were in stock.

(I have three .jpeg photos sitting on my desktop that show the black trim and will be happy to include them in this post if someone will explain how to do it. I clicked on the "img" button above, but can't get them to show. Dragging and dropping doesn't work either.)

Bottom line: We (Spark EV owners) won't have to worry as much about gas skyrocketing to $8 or more and/or becoming nearly unavailable if those crazies in the Middle East find a way to cripple Europe and the U.S. by shutting down the transit of oil through the Suez Canal. It might represent only 20 percent of the crude we import, but I have clear memories of what a pain in the butt the oil embargo was back in the 1970s. Anyone besides me remember the odd and even days based on the last digit of your license plate when being able to purchase ten gallons of gas often required waiting in line for an hour or more?

Thanks for any help in answering my questions. There may not be many participants of this forum now, but I would wager there will be a thousand members or more by the end of the year as more and more people learn about the Spark EV.

Bill in Fremont, CA

You have to understand the limited range of these things. You have "full tank" when ICE owners go to gas station to fill up b/c they're on empty.

Do not buy. Lease only. In 3 years the tech will be superior to 2013 anything in 35,000 price range (i.e. 2017 Tesla Model L). Here are more reasons why leasing is better: The car will cost you about $120 a month for only 27 months. Here is the rough math: You pay 1600 bucks out the door. Your monthly is 220 for 12,000-mile-a-year deal. You get back 2,500. Your positive net is 900 bucks. You save 100 bucks a month on NOT buying gas since eletricity is about 25% of the cost of gas for the same amount of miles. In other words for every 4 dollars you spend on gas you spend max of 1 dollar (or less) on PG&E. So your entire outlay is 27 x 120 dollars over 3 years. That's 3200 bucks. Deduct for no oil, no fixin's, no broken starters, belts, spark plugs, etc. No cost whatsoever. Not even tires (hopefully). By the way, pump tires up to 39 psi for substantially better range. So far ours is over 90 miles each time in combined driving. I do use L exclusively, not D. L is Eco in the Leaf. Got used to Spark's aggressive L regen in a couple of days, and now I miss it in my Leaf. Regen obviously makes juice (no matter what anyone says). BMW i3 by the way is supposed to have similar regen as the Spark. Smart move.

Get the 1LT model. The leatherette is crap, steering wheel is just fine w/o leather--it's actually shaped very ergonomically, and there is not much else in the car that justifies 2LT. I did Scotch-guard the seats and that's it.

You apply for $2,500 rebate the day you get your car (or better yet, dealer paperwork with it). Make sure to tell them to COPY it all for you for mailing it purposes (I did it with my Leaf and Spark as well, sent it the same day). The $7,500 federal goes to the leasing co.

The HOV stickers can be ordered only after you get the plates. The dealer gets a 3 week turnaround privilege. Make sure they are on it for you. Otherwise it takes months and you are hung out to dry until the plates arrive.

Bilmat said:
1) Is it necessary to wait until your permanent plates arrive before you can apply for the $2500 California rebate check, or can you just state "Temp" in the license plate block. (I tried the DMV phone line for this issue several times but couldn't get through.)

No, the temporary registration will suffice. Go to the link here and it gives you all the details: https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/chevrolet-spark-requirements to register. You should do this ASAP because there are a limited number of rebates. After applying they will contact you if you qualify and tell you exactly what documentation is required.

Bilmat said:
2) Same question regarding the white EV HOV stickers. Beyond the $8 fee, what hoops will I have to jump through to get a pair of these coveted stickers? As near as I can tell, I have to mail in the original 13-foot long yellow copy of the sales contract along with the DMV application form and the check. I hate to part with the original purchase agreement.

Can't help you here, because I think carpool lanes are for carpools, not EVs or hybrids - they don't help with congestion on the freeways when only 1 person is driving, so I personally won't get the sticker.

Bilmat said:
3) And finally, clear up this mystery for me if you can. My Spark came with a black trim at the bottom of both sides identifying it as an EV, but it was the only one of the four Spark EVs my dealer had in stock that did. Is it part of the L2 package like the leatherette seats and leather-like steering wheel? I didn't pay that much attention to the three others that were in stock. I'm sure the trim is a decal that can be removed, but I sort of like it as it makes my Spark stand out from the gas powered slugs that bear the same name.

My spark doesn't have any signage, naming, badges, stickers, or anything else on the side. The only place that even says Spark or EV is on the back. I like that the Spark EV is so subtle. I drive it for me and don't really care about anyone else knowing about it nor am I trying to send some holier-than-thou message.

Bilmat said:
It's two days and 65 miles later as I write this, and I have a few questions for those of you in California who beat me to the punch:

Nope, you can use the temporary paperwork. However, you'll have to pull the temporary paper off the front window and photocopy it to send in, which is kind of a pain.

Bilmat said:
For the white HOV sticker, you will need your plate. DMV has been pretty quick on plates recently, so you should have them within a few weeks of purchase.

Bilmat said:
3) And finally, clear up this mystery for me if you can. My Spark came with a black trim at the bottom of both sides identifying it as an EV, but it was the only one of the four Spark EVs my dealer had in stock that did. Is it part of the L2 package like the leatherette seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel? I didn't pay that much attention to the three others that were in stock.
My LT2 spark had the same stickers! I asked the dealer about them, and they said they had put them on, as some people like to identify their vehicles as an EV. Feel free to remove them if you want. I've grown to like them, as without them, it's really hard to tell that your spark is EV, and I want to evangelize! :)

fengshui said:
Nope, you can use the temporary paperwork. However, you'll have to pull the temporary paper off the front window and photocopy it to send in, which is kind of a pain.
i took a close picture of it with my phone, making sure the numbers are readable. by the way, people at that California Energy Center or whatever is called, who are in charge of managing the funds and rebate claims, are shockingly helpful and responsive. it's a pleasure to call or email them, and they reply promptly, with no BS.

people at that California Energy Center or whatever is called, who are in charge of managing the funds and rebate claims, are shockingly helpful and responsive. it's a pleasure to call or email them, and they reply promptly, with no BS
"California Center for Sustainable Energy" http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/chevrolet-spark-requirements

I took my application for the rebate to their offices in person (about 15 minutes from our house) - A very upbeat buzz there.

drivefast said:
fengshui said:
i took a close picture of it with my phone, making sure the numbers are readable. by the way, people at that California Energy Center or whatever is called, who are in charge of managing the funds and rebate claims, are shockingly helpful and responsive. it's a pleasure to call or email them, and they reply promptly, with no BS.

I agree, the folks who handle the rebates are fast, efficient and helpful.

My dealer thought ahead and gave me a copy of the temporary registration before the original was taped to my windshield. Two days after I emailed my application to the Calif. Energy people with the info requested on their email application form, I received two return emails. One was a form letter, the other was from an individual at the department. Both said basically the same thing. To paraphrase, they said, "Congratulations, you qualify for the California rebate. We are holding in your name $2500." It went on to say that I need to print and sign an attached form that came with the email and mail it to a San Diego address within 14 days of receiving the email, otherwise the $2500 will go back into the fund.

Along with the signed form I need to include in the envelope 1) The copy the dealer made of the car's temporary registration, 2) A copy of the purchase agreement to prove I bought the car, and 3) Something to prove I am a California resident. Among the options specified was a copy of a less than 90 day old utilities or cable TV bill. (I made a copy of last month's PG&E bill.)

I'll be sending the packed envelope to San Diego via certified mail as soon as the post office opens after the Labor Day weekend and look forward to receiving the check. Next step is to get my plates and permanent registration so I can obtain a pair of the white HOV decals. The best part, of course, is the $7500 reduction I'll be paying the Feds this year in taxes. All that and a car that's a ton of fun to drive on short trips around town is pretty sweet.

Bilmat said:
I'll be sending the packed envelope to San Diego via certified mail as soon as the post office opens after the Labor Day weekend and look forward to receiving the check. Next step is to get my plates and permanent registration so I can obtain a pair of the white HOV decals. The best part, of course, is the $7500 reduction I'll be paying the Feds this year in taxes. All that and a car that's a ton of fun to drive on short trips around town is pretty sweet.

I sent mine First Class Mail and didn't have any trouble, so you can probably forgo the certified mail. If they don't get it in a few days, you still have a week to send a second attempt. I will note that they send checks out in batches, so once you've gotten final approval, it can take over a month to get a check. Congratulations! It is a pretty spiffy little car.

fengshui said:
Bilmat said:
I sent mine First Class Mail and didn't have any trouble, so you can probably forgo the certified mail. If they don't get it in a few days, you still have a week to send a second attempt. I will note that they send checks out in batches, so once you've gotten final approval, it can take over a month to get a check. Congratulations! It is a pretty spiffy little car.
I applied for my rebate on 6/28 and once approved, the documentation was mailed in with the application and I received the check in the mail on 8/27. Nice little surprise in the mail.

Funny story, my son was in the car with me when I checked the mail, I showed him the $2500 check and he said to me "so do you get one of those every month?" Haha. :D

markcmann said:
fengshui said:
Bilmat said:
I applied for my rebate on 6/28 and once approved, the documentation was mailed in with the application and I received the check in the mail on 8/27. Nice little surprise in the mail.

Funny story, my son was in the car with me when I checked the mail, I showed him the $2500 check and he said to me "so do you get one of those every month?" Haha. :D

The only hitch in the git-along that I can see is in the fine print. As I read it, I'll have to pony up $2500 and give it back to the state if I sell or trade the Spark in less than three years. I don't have an exemplary record of keeping a set of wheels longer than 36 months, and that will provide an incentive to keep it if I get tired of the car within 3 years.

saintyohann said:
Don't worry, the $2500 is pro-rated if you sell or return your car...

Good to know, although at this stage of ownership I don't see myself unloading the Spark over the next few years as it seems like the perfect machine for running local errands around town. I'm retired, so I don't commute to work anymore like most EV owners. For long trips out of town I have a new big boy car that will likely be an extremely low mileage vehicle if and when I decide to replace it. In short, I feel I have the best of both worlds. The Spark has made driving fun again.

Back