Is the EV market at a tipping point?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

Could the introduction of more affordable electric vehicles to the consumer market push the EV industry to a tipping point?

With plug-in hybrids leading the way and a new wave of EVs hitting the streets earlier this month at the North American auto show in Los Angeles, the possibilities seem bright. Given their price point and performance, these new cars could jumpstart the more widespread adoption of electric vehicles.
The L.A. debuts

The Chevrolet Spark EV is an all-electric version of GM's current mini car, offering a "20-plus" kilowatt-hour battery and fast charging onboard. The SAE combo system will produce an 80 per cent charge in just 20 minutes. All of those electrons will flow to a 130 horsepower motor with 400 pound-feet of torque, only slightly less than the 420 pound-feet in a Camaro SS. The Spark EV will go on sale in California and Oregon in summer 2013, priced at $32,500, or right around $25,000 after Federal electric vehicle credit.

Staying in the micro-car segment, Smart showed off its recently priced ForTwo ED. At $25,000, or $17,500 after tax incentives, it is a reasonably priced alternative for urban dwellers or those without the need for a back seat.Finally, Fiat unveiled its 500e car.

It has a reported 80-mile range from a 24 kilowatt-hour battery pack that will charge in 4 hours using 240 volts.

Fiat is reportedly pricing the EV at $45,000, though that price has yet to be publicly confirmed. While certainly not inexpensive compared to the Spark, the Fiat does have a distinct Italian flair absent in many other cars on the road.

Tipping point?

The auto industry is at a critical point, where sales of EVs and PHEVs need to ramp quickly to shore up the finances of electric ecosystem players, including battery suppliers, charging infrastructure players, and utilities. Battery maker A123 recently filed for bankruptcy, highlighting the struggles of prominent auto suppliers as adoption rates remain relatively low. Innovative infrastructure companies like ChargePoint, the operator of a network of charging stations, and Evatran, the maker of Plugless Power wireless EV charging stations, require a significant volume of EVs on the road before they can generate meaningful sales volumes. The success of these types of companies is tied very closely to automakers' ability continue growing EV sales at rapid rate, and vice versa. This kind of circular relationship has created a chicken-and-egg challenge, and the problems at companies like A123 and Better Place only emphasize the need for a quick solution.

Luckily, with lower-priced EV options coming online from Smart and Chevy, manufacturers have the potential to reach a broader customer base. In turn, this could drive additional demand for the components and peripherals that propel, charge, and serve EVs and their drivers. With the average cost of a new car topping $30,000, the availability of sub-$30,000 EVs may be the spark the segment needs to reach volumes where suppliers can find economies of scale big enough to build out the EV ecosystem to self-sustaining numbers.

Evidence the market for electrics is trending up

According to Ward's Automotive, electric and plug-in electric hybrid vehicles made up about 0.6 per cent of all US light vehicle sales through November, tripling the segment's market share from one year ago. While the Nissan LEAF's sales numbers are down slightly on the year, the pure EV market has grown 15.5 percent, year-over-year with the addition of the BMW 1 Series, Ford Focus EV, Honda Fit EV, Mitsubishi i-Miev, and the Toyota RAV4 EV.

The real success story is evident in the PHEV segment, where Chevrolet has sold more than 20,000 Volts in 2012, a 240 per cent increase over last year's sales numbers. With the introduction of the Toyota Prius plug-in and the Ford C-MAX earlier this year, there is real momentum in the segment. Since these vehicles require charging infrastructure like pure EVs, they are encouraging the build-out of the ecosystem with each additional car sold.

As momentum grows in this segment and the ecosystem becomes more extensive, cost-effective, and reliable, the most common arguments against EV purchases will be crowded out.

Range anxiety disappears when charging stations are easily accessible. Cost complaints are addressed when component costs are driven down through scale of production. It remains to be seen whether or not the introduction of moderately priced EVs will propel that segment, or if PHEV sales will continue growing at this pace, but the upward trend in sales should give many players in the market hope.
Read more in Spark EV forum.

Ok may be EV market is not in its best shape but I don't think its on tipping point. With the release of Chevy Spark EV the market will get in good shape again.

I think it may be hard to pinpoint a "tipping point" in any technological revolution. Where was the tipping point for DVD to replace VHS? Where was the tipping point for digital cameras, flat-screen TVs, etc?

I would say a tipping point would be a stage in which one technology is on the verge of replacing the old technology as the mainstream. I think we're many years or decades away from that.

In my opinion, these are the things that need to happen before we can say we are at the tipping point, in order of importance:
  • Charging stations at every major business, supermarket, employer, movie theater, and restaurant. People need to know they can always recharge. (we have a long way to go on this)
  • More price reductions and low-end EVs available that "average joe" can afford (we're nearly there)
  • Increased range. 100 miles per charge will likely be the magic number for a low-end vehicle. (We're probably not too far away from this)

I think in order to get us to this place, plug-in hybrids like the Volt and C-Max Energi will help push us in that direction. People are more likely to embrace these vehicles right now since they can rely on our traditional fuel infrastructure where the EV infrastructure is lacking. However, since these vehicles can make use of EV infrastructure, they will help continue to build the infrastructure so that future generations will be able to enjoy all-electric vehicles.

I mostly agree with adric22, although I don't think charging stations is the turning point, I think it's over 100 mile range at an affordable price. With that range, you could get home from a round of errands or go to work or whatever. If charging stations were sparsely located, if you were that far from home you could get a quick charge. I haven't seen range specs on the Chevy Spark EV, but even if it's only over 50 miles, that would be pretty good for electric only right now (except the more expensive Teslas, of course).

adric22 said:
I think it may be hard to pinpoint a "tipping point" in any technological revolution. Where was the tipping point for DVD to replace VHS? Where was the tipping point for digital cameras, flat-screen TVs, etc?

I would say a tipping point would be a stage in which one technology is on the verge of replacing the old technology as the mainstream. I think we're many years or decades away from that.

In my opinion, these are the things that need to happen before we can say we are at the tipping point, in order of importance:
  • Charging stations at every major business, supermarket, employer, movie theater, and restaurant. People need to know they can always recharge. (we have a long way to go on this)
  • More price reductions and low-end EVs available that "average joe" can afford (we're nearly there)
  • Increased range. 100 miles per charge will likely be the magic number for a low-end vehicle. (We're probably not too far away from this)

I think in order to get us to this place, plug-in hybrids like the Volt and C-Max Energi will help push us in that direction. People are more likely to embrace these vehicles right now since they can rely on our traditional fuel infrastructure where the EV infrastructure is lacking. However, since these vehicles can make use of EV infrastructure, they will help continue to build the infrastructure so that future generations will be able to enjoy all-electric vehicles.

I don't agree with you actually, my estimation is that EVs are going to outsell gasoline car in 5-7 years because if Tesla can make a 300 mile range car today, with the battery cost reduction that the smartphones are driving, every car maker will have a chance to build an affordable car with at least 200 miles range in a couple of years.

And about the infrastructure; it should be said that it will not be a problem since it is relativly cheap to make a charging station compared to the benefits that you get out of one and also in Europe there are tons of charging stations everywhere and there will be lots more in the next few years.

Jimmy said:
adric22 said:

I don't agree with you actually, my estimation is that EVs are going to outsell gasoline car in 5-7 years because if Tesla can make a 300 mile range car today, with the battery cost reduction that the smartphones are driving, every car maker will have a chance to build an affordable car with at least 200 miles range in a couple of years.

And about the infrastructure; it should be said that it will not be a problem since it is relativly cheap to make a charging station compared to the benefits that you get out of one and also in Europe there are tons of charging stations everywhere and there will be lots more in the next few years.

Yeah, I agree EVs are taking over and Chevy Spark EV is just the very beginning of the automotive revolution, especially after the graphene battery technology becomes researched and engineered.

These graphene style batteries will recharge instantly and will be more durable then lithium batteries.

McHale said:
Jimmy said:
adric22 said:

Yeah, I agree EVs are taking over and Chevy Spark EV is just the very beginning of the automotive revolution, especially after the graphene battery technology becomes researched and engineered.

These graphene style batteries will recharge instantly and will be more durable then lithium batteries.

Graphene is definitely something that is going to change our world upside down, I just hope that big business is not going to step on this technology similar to how they did with EV technology in the past.

But even with the repression of EV technology we are seeing more and more cars like Chevy Spark.

If anybody is more interested in graphene here is an awesome article by Wired magazin:

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/04/tracking-graphenes-move-from-science-project-to-money-machine/

Back