Power Steering and StabiliTrak Issues

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkMoore

On at least three separate occasions, I've been commuting to work or driving around when suddenly, for no apparent reason, I get a couple of warning indicators on my dash. One says, "Service Power Steering, Drive with Care." The other says, "Service StabiliTrak." I'm pretty confident that every time its happened (I don't remember each instance precisely) that it happened going up hill on a mildly curvy section of the highway where the speed limit is 50 mph. I know for sure that in one instance it was rainy and on a different instance it was dry. If I had to guess, each time the temperature was in the 50's. The car doesn't behave strangely or have any other symptoms. I don't think I was going fast enough, nor was it slippery enough to lose traction or anything like that. I wasn't suddenly accelerating (that I can remember) or making any sudden moves. The warnings just popped up for no apparent reason.

I've taken it to the dealer before, but they found nothing wrong with the car (of course). The car works fine otherwise, and I really do think its a wonderful car. I enjoy every minute of it. But this issue concerns me because I have to go over a mountain pass, one way or another, to get to/from work. I'd hate to lose my power steering in a critical situation. Most days I commute on the highway, but some days when there is traffic, I take an alternate route that has much curvier roads and is only a two lane road with almost no shoulder to speak of. Any ideas or has anyone experienced similar issues?

Yikes, that's definitely troubling. How long do the indicators stay on? Is it long enough to take a photo of them? Also, maybe try and get someone from the dealer to go on a ride with you and attempt to trigger it again.

I had the same issue one day going through a puddle of water temperature was about 50 degrees. My car started using power like crazy. 1.2 miles per kwh. Stopped after 10 miles turned off the car looked to make sure nothing was obvious under the tires etc. Then after i restarted miles per kwh started to normalize. I had to charge since almost out of energy going only 30 miles. Then got stabilitrak message. I took it to the dealer they said they just had to reset the power steering position sensor. I have driven about 15,000 miles since and have not seen the error message again.

Yes, I've gotten pictures. That's the only way I know what the exact message was. The warning stays on until I shut off the car, then it resets and I don't see it again until the next episode. I believe that the when the dealer inspected the car, there were no error codes showing up. But I had pictures and showed them, so they knew it was for real.

The problem is that the issue occurs so infrequently, that when the dealer looks at it, there is nothing to see. I've had the car since July, and I can remember at least three occasions when it happened. There may have been a fourth, but not sure.

SparkMoore said:
Yes, I've gotten pictures. That's the only way I know what the exact message was. The warning stays on until I shut off the car, then it resets and I don't see it again until the next episode. I believe that the when the dealer inspected the car, there were no error codes showing up. But I had pictures and showed them, so they knew it was for real.

The problem is that the issue occurs so infrequently, that when the dealer looks at it, there is nothing to see. I've had the car since July, and I can remember at least three occasions when it happened. There may have been a fourth, but not sure.

Would it be possible to try and recreate it and then drive to the dealer immediately after that?

I have noticed from messing around with my car in the driveway that with the power steering off the steering is still reasonably light as long as the car is not at a dead stop. Even at a dead stop the ratio is so quick that small movements cause a lot of turn.
I know this doesn't fix your problem but I don't think its a huge safety issue. It's nothing like trying to turn a car with dead hydraulic power steering.

Back