agdodgerfan
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm

I used to drive 120 miles a day in my spark. At the time level 3 charging was not available but my car was equipped with it. I would get to work using 50% of my charge. Plug in and charge to full then go home and charge to full again. I have 115K miles now. I only drive 50 miles a day now. I drive like a bat of hell so my efficiency is not good. I still use 50 % to do a 25 mile drive. As far as degradation at 115k I get to work with 50% using 7 to 7 2 kwh. So I have a out 14kwhs capacity still. I knew the le network would be built soon so I didn't worry when I bought mine. I wouldn't have considered it without level 3.

flyingpertyhigh
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Fri May 17, 2019 3:35 pm

agdodgerfan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm
I used to drive 120 miles a day in my spark. At the time level 3 charging was not available but my car was equipped with it. I would get to work using 50% of my charge. Plug in and charge to full then go home and charge to full again. I have 115K miles now. I only drive 50 miles a day now. I drive like a bat of hell so my efficiency is not good. I still use 50 % to do a 25 mile drive. As far as degradation at 115k I get to work with 50% using 7 to 7 2 kwh. So I have a out 14kwhs capacity still. I knew the le network would be built soon so I didn't worry when I bought mine. I wouldn't have considered it without level 3.
How did you drive 120 miles and only use 50% of the charge? Any driving tips?

flyingpertyhigh
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm

SparkieVee wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

With that in mind, know that driving with the cruise at 55 is probably not the most efficient, nor fastest, way to get there. You'd do better in both time and energy usage to follow (at a reasonable distance - no need to tailgate) a big rig going 60-65. What I'd do is get on the highway, set the cruise to 55, then as soon as a truck passed me going 60, I'd tuck in behind it. Then I'd be faster, more efficient, and also likely helping the highway to flow better. I know that not everyone is comfortable following a truck, but that's what I'd do and have done.

And yes, the MMM community would not approve of such a long commute, nor would they agree with buying a Tesla. A used Bolt (or even a well-negotiated new one) would be a cheaper option, but still not MMM approved.
So yes, I completely agree. She is actually comfortable following a truck and doing this, but doesn't want to "rely" on it. Meaning she'll draft if she has the opportunity to, but wants to plan the commute as if there were no trucks to rely on so she knows what to do in a worse case scenario. I told her there will never be a day where there are no trucks on the highway.
I'm very confident that if she drafts a semi, she'll have so much more power available she can use the HVAC normally.

I need to figure out what went wrong on the drive home. Its the same distance obviously, same road just other direction. I assumed there was an elevation change which is why it used more energy. I need to figure out, how to figure that out.

scrambler
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Fri May 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Use google map.
Map the direction, then select the bike route, that will show you the elevation at start and end :)

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca, California

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Sat May 18, 2019 9:19 am

flyingpertyhigh wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm
SparkieVee wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

With that in mind, know that driving with the cruise at 55 is probably not the most efficient, nor fastest, way to get there. You'd do better in both time and energy usage to follow (at a reasonable distance - no need to tailgate) a big rig going 60-65. What I'd do is get on the highway, set the cruise to 55, then as soon as a truck passed me going 60, I'd tuck in behind it. Then I'd be faster, more efficient, and also likely helping the highway to flow better. I know that not everyone is comfortable following a truck, but that's what I'd do and have done.

And yes, the MMM community would not approve of such a long commute, nor would they agree with buying a Tesla. A used Bolt (or even a well-negotiated new one) would be a cheaper option, but still not MMM approved.
So yes, I completely agree. She is actually comfortable following a truck and doing this, but doesn't want to "rely" on it. Meaning she'll draft if she has the opportunity to, but wants to plan the commute as if there were no trucks to rely on so she knows what to do in a worse case scenario. I told her there will never be a day where there are no trucks on the highway.
I'm very confident that if she drafts a semi, she'll have so much more power available she can use the HVAC normally.

I need to figure out what went wrong on the drive home. Its the same distance obviously, same road just other direction. I assumed there was an elevation change which is why it used more energy. I need to figure out, how to figure that out.
It is actually quite enlightening to draft a big rig. I do it for fun or when distances between DCFC stations are bit of a stretch. I have seen my mi/kWh go as high as 10. My biggest fear is getting hit by a rock tossed by the truck's rear tires. Last year I had to have the windshield replaced in my 2016 Spark EV because a rock came out of nowhere and cracked the windshield right in front of me. The windshield is special and I had to order one from GM to the tune of about $550 plus installation. I have a $500 insurance deductible so I ate most of the replacement cost.

Kermit
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 am

flyingpertyhigh wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm
SparkieVee wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

With that in mind, know that driving with the cruise at 55 is probably not the most efficient, nor fastest, way to get there. You'd do better in both time and energy usage to follow (at a reasonable distance - no need to tailgate) a big rig going 60-65. What I'd do is get on the highway, set the cruise to 55, then as soon as a truck passed me going 60, I'd tuck in behind it. Then I'd be faster, more efficient, and also likely helping the highway to flow better. I know that not everyone is comfortable following a truck, but that's what I'd do and have done.

And yes, the MMM community would not approve of such a long commute, nor would they agree with buying a Tesla. A used Bolt (or even a well-negotiated new one) would be a cheaper option, but still not MMM approved.
So yes, I completely agree. She is actually comfortable following a truck and doing this, but doesn't want to "rely" on it. Meaning she'll draft if she has the opportunity to, but wants to plan the commute as if there were no trucks to rely on so she knows what to do in a worse case scenario. I told her there will never be a day where there are no trucks on the highway.
I'm very confident that if she drafts a semi, she'll have so much more power available she can use the HVAC normally.

I need to figure out what went wrong on the drive home. Its the same distance obviously, same road just other direction. I assumed there was an elevation change which is why it used more energy. I need to figure out, how to figure that out.
I noticed as the temperatures are getting hotter here the energy screen is showing that my car is using some energy to condition the battery now. If you are driving that far the battery temperature may be getting hot enough that some conditioning is occurring.
2016 Spark EV

flyingpertyhigh
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 am

So just an interesting update on this. I got all the data I posted from my test drive of the route. My wife just drove the route by herself for the first time without stopping on the way to work. With tires inflated cold to 45PSI and the cabin preheated (was 58 this morning), she made it there with 23% battery remaining (estimated range of 22 miles). This is after covering 78.5 miles and starting with an estimated range of 70 miles. This puts our 2014 with a 100 mile range in semi-ideal conditions! She arrived with 100% more range remaining than when I drove it.

The maths work out to 6.5 mi/kWh. Obviously very good but still not epic levels like our poster above that got 10 mi/kWh. She also had headlights on and windshield wipers on as it was misting out (and thus wet road); HVAC was off but heated seat was on. So this isn't even best case scenario. A dry road day I think she'd do even better.

She indicated that she was in slow moving traffic for some of it which obviously allows her to cover more distance with less drag, and drafted behind semis for about 40-50% of the drive going approximately 60-65mph. Maintained 55mph when no trucks were available and when not in traffic.

I'm confident now that she can also make it home, which was the route I could not make.

scrambler
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Thu May 23, 2019 9:27 am

flyingpertyhigh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 am
The maths work out to 6.5 mi/kWh.
That is quite conservative driving, Good for her!
Just keep in mind as was mentioned before that she will be doing quite a lot of miles per year (38,000 from your commute numbers), and you will loose capacity overtime.
I have been loosing 0.15 kWh per 1000miles or about 1 kWh per year (not sure which of miles or time is the factor)
This means you could be loosing between 1 an 5.7 kWh or battery capacity per year, which would translate to loosing 6.6 miles or up to 37 miles of range per year.

If will be good to follow her battery capacity after a 38,000 miles year, it would tell us how much the degradation is proportional to miles versus time.

flyingpertyhigh
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Thu May 23, 2019 6:08 pm

scrambler wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:27 am
This means you could be loosing between 1 an 5.7 kWh or battery capacity per year, which would translate to loosing 6.6 miles or up to 37 miles of range per year.
Thanks for the reply. I’m very concerned about long term degradation and it’s effect on her ability to continue this drive long term.

I’m slightly hopeful because this battery already has 50,000 miles on it and gets the range it does.

I’ve also read anecdotally that the a123 batteries in the 2014 seem to be better regarding degradation, but there really not a lot of data on this limited edition car, but that’s mostly heresy.

Anyway, I’ll make a long term update when I have more data. Anyone recommend a odb reader that works well with the spark?

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca, California

Re: Commuting 160 miles in a Spark EV

Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 pm

flyingpertyhigh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:08 pm
scrambler wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:27 am
This means you could be loosing between 1 an 5.7 kWh or battery capacity per year, which would translate to loosing 6.6 miles or up to 37 miles of range per year.
Thanks for the reply. I’m very concerned about long term degradation and it’s effect on her ability to continue this drive long term.

I’m slightly hopeful because this battery already has 50,000 miles on it and gets the range it does.

I’ve also read anecdotally that the a123 batteries in the 2014 seem to be better regarding degradation, but there really not a lot of data on this limited edition car, but that’s mostly heresy.

Anyway, I’ll make a long term update when I have more data. Anyone recommend a odb reader that works well with the spark?
For what it is worth, listed below is some of my battery capacity data for all three model years.

2014 spark EV no DCFC: @ 14,144 miles, 17.2 kWh; @ 18, 474 miles, 16.2 kWh. Degradation rate: 4330 miles per kWh. (TorquePro)

2015 spark EV with DCFC: @ 1414 miles, 18.8 kWh; @ 18,900 miles, 17.1kWh. Degradation rate: 10,286 miles per kWh. (calculated method)

2016 spark EV with DCFC: @ 10,284 miles, 16.6 kWh; @ 19,041 miles, 15.5 kWh. Degradation rate: 7,960 miles per kWh. (TorquePro)

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”