SparkE

Re: Looking.. and looking.. for my first EV

Oh, and I haven't figured out yet what car I might buy when the gasmobile dies. It is 16 years old (and a very efficient PZEV low-polluter, 40+ mpg) BUT we almost never drive it - just for trips - we prefer the Spark. We only put 1500-2500 miles a year on it now, just for trips. It will probably last for a long time now.

So many new models coming out, it is hard to decide. At the moment, I would either buy a plug-in hybrid with 30+ mile electric range, or a used Tesla model Y. (I prefer hatchbacks.) Since we have 2 cars, one is for local (within 40 miles, 80 round-trip) and one for trips. On trips, you really can't beat the ease of gas refills in terms of speed of refill - 5 minutes all done, stations everywhere - the only thing that comes reasonably close is a Tesla and their supercharger network. But unless there is a revolution in battery technology, I will probably go with a plug in hybrid (PHEV). I looked at the honda clarity PHEV (45+ miles electric) - because I thought it would *always* be in electric mode - however it is too big for our needs. The Spark is perfect (except for trips).

I really wish some company would come out with a small hatchback PHEV that is a serial hybrid (the gas engine just works as a generator, not to drive the wheels directly). 30-40 miles electric, then the generator starts. Very low polluting (the generator works at optimum RPM for low pollution and high electric generation instead of rev'ing up and down all the time). There are a couple in Japan, but none in the US.
Bigbusdriver

NORTON and SparkE,
Thank you for the replies. I guess I should try and elaborate on a couple of my points. I called the little Smart ED an orphan because Mercedes only has a few dealerships that will service a Smart. For me in Charlotte, it would be about a 100 mile one way trip. I am not 100% sure how many more years they will support it. A few on the board had talked to service people who said maybe 2 years now. I had hoped that GM would be able to address
any Christine issues that could/might arise.
My paperweight comment referred to the battery bricking. I'm still looking into whether a single cell in the little Spark can be replaced. There is a
point where the total battery replacement exceeds the value of the car, albeit not in todays "new normal" market, at least for now.
Having a little scoot to run around looks really fun, which attracted me in this direction. Maybe I'll offset some of the environmental damage being
done by all the F-150's out there.
I really should own at least one GM car in my lifetime. Just about ever one on my wife's side of the family has worked, or works for "The Motors"
NORTON

Bigbusdriver wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm ...My paperweight comment referred to the battery bricking. I'm still looking into whether a single cell in the little Spark can be replaced. There is a
point where the total battery replacement exceeds the value of the car,...
Thanks for the info on the Smart EV situation.
As for any battery related problem, the original warranty period is ending soon for '14 Spark EV's.
I'm going to be on my own one of these days... :?
And the few that have had warranty replacements it's always installing the later '15-16 packs which have the cells used in the Volt.
I'm not sure how you'd find individual A123 cells for a DIY repair on a '14 pack.
You should just get a used Bolt and be future proof and you'd have an EV that will get you cross country if need be.
'14 Spark EV 2LT w/ DCFC. 97k miles !! Going strong!
'17 Bolt Premier w/ It All! 75k miles. Brand New Pack w/Warranty!
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try, nope, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed it.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”