Programmed a key fob myself.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagal64

Hi All. After extensive research, and refusing to pay $200 to program my new key fob for my 2016 Chevy Spark EV, I found that the Car Keys Express Universal EZ Installer (Amazon) did the trick! I'm so happy. So far have only programmed 1 fob but will now look for another fob to be my back up.

I searched this site for help on self programming, there must not have been a way to do-it-yourself the last time someone posted about this issue. There is now and I hope my journey helps anyone else with the same issue.

Hi All. After extensive research, and refusing to pay $200 to program my new key fob for my 2016 Chevy Spark EV, I found that the Car Keys Express Universal EZ Installer (Amazon) did the trick! I'm so happy. So far have only programmed 1 fob but will now look for another fob to be my back up.

I searched this site for help on self programming, there must not have been a way to do-it-yourself the last time someone posted about this issue. There is now and I hope my journey helps anyone else with the same issue.
That's great! Where did you get the new key fob from and did you get it cut to match the old key?

This is great news. Congratulations on being the first Spark EV owner to accomplish this without dealer assistance. Amazing! How much was the programmer/installer?

@seagal64
I'm glad someone else went through this process too. I ended up using the same adapter in Sept 2023. It works but during the process ... it can be hard to know what it's doing and what you need to do next. I documented the process with links here.
Good luck to anyone trying to find a reputable distributor for the key though. I just did a search for the PNs (94543206 and 94543205). It's slim pickings.

Last edited:
Here’s the link for those having trouble finding it https://a.co/d/hEIeYDf
Thanks for confirming that these work. I’d much rather spend $70 than $200 but I’d also much rather not have to spend anything at all given that Chevy clearly intended for this to be free based on the instructions in the owner’s manual.

How many more of us are here currently trying to program a key? We could all go in on one and shipping from one member to the next to lower the cost for everyone.

The post above from @kejava does a great job describing the super-complicated method (because the key programming instructions in the owner manual don't work) for using the "EZ Installer Car-Key Programmer" sold on Amazon and directly a thttps://carkeysexpress.com/ez-installer. Kudos to @seagal64 and @kejava for succeeding!!!

We lost a fob/key a few weeks ago. I looked at the EZ Installer, but decided not to try it - They caution it will not work unless the car appears on their PDF (see attached PDF). On that PDF only "Spark 2016-2021" is listed; that refers to the updated model of the gas Spark. The Spark EV 2014-2016 is an older model, so CarKeyExpress was not indicating it would work for us. Again, kudos to those who have made it work.

I ended up going to a really great locksmith here in San Diego, Dup-A-Key in Pacific Beach. He stocks an amazing inventory of OEM keys and fobs. He supplied the fob+key, cut the key, and programmed them with his big dealer-grade programmer, and charged $180 total (compared to the what @seagal64 apparently spent $70 for the EZ Installer plus $70 for the key+fob).

Vince, owner of Dup-A-Key is a great guy. I also got just a key from him (without the remote to open the door) for $95, including the programming. If we ever lose another remote, I will just get another key-only, which can manually unlock the door, and you just stick it into the slot on the steering column to start the car with the push button. The key took a lot less time to program than the key+fob.

Attachments

• UEZI-Guide-Lookup.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back