Any way to leave the door locks alone?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr100

It annoys me how each time I shift out of Park, it locks the doors automatically. It unlocks them when I shift back into Park. What is that useful for? So nobody can jack me GTA style at a stoplight?

I've had one expensive door actuator replacement in a previous car and since then I've always had this feature disabled in every car.

I've always thought of the GM auto-door lock feature as providing primarily psychological comfort for those who feel vulnerable. It's there as much to prevent sexual assaults as carjackings.

What happens sometimes is that after a crash the occupants of a car may be unconscious, or unable to move, and would be rescuers are unable to open their car doors to assist them. The feature may be more of a hazard than a benefit.

It annoys me too. I'd love to be able to configure it not to do that.

fr100 said:
It annoys me how each time I shift out of Park, it locks the doors automatically. It unlocks them when I shift back into Park. What is that useful for? So nobody can jack me GTA style at a stoplight?

I've had one expensive door actuator replacement in a previous car and since then I've always had this feature disabled in every car.

configurable in the Settings menu. Consult your owner's manual.

nikwax said:

I'd love for you to prove this. I hate this feature, and there's no way to disable it that I'm aware of (except possibly reprogramming with a dealer service tool?). Please, show me the light. The owner's manual only says this:

Automatic Door Locks

If equipped, the vehicle is programmed so that when the doors are closed, the ignition is on, and the shift lever is moved out of P (Park), the doors and the liftgate will lock.

No suggestion on how to disable the feature.

Bryce

Pages 5-38 and 5-39 of the owner's manual discuss door lock features. Variety of features to select (I went through this to get rid of the "chirp" on lock/unlock) but it doesn't look like the automatic autolock is one of the features that can be set to OFF. You can set the automatic unlock when you shift to PARK so that it only unlocks the driver door (or driver and passenger or all doors), but I don't see a setting to disable the autolock in the first place.

Nashco said:
nikwax said:

I'd love for you to prove this. I hate this feature, and there's no way to disable it that I'm aware of (except possibly reprogramming with a dealer service tool?). Please, show me the light. The owner's manual only says this:

Bryce

Note use of word "configurable"

Back