California Rebate - likelihood of new funding?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sross222

I was about to lease a Spark EV but now, without the rebate, the cost has doubled. :cry:

Anyone seen any clues about likelihood funding will be reinstated at previous level?

I only drive 5000 miles per yr so might be better to go for an used ICE without the rebate.

Sross222 said:
I was about to lease a Spark EV but now, without the rebate, the cost has doubled. :cry:

Anyone seen any clues about likelihood funding will be reinstated at previous level?

I only drive 5000 miles per yr so might be better to go for an used ICE without the rebate.

You might consider and look for a nice, low mileage and clean 2014 Spark EV. It will probably not have the fast charge option.

Anyone have any idea how long this new funding will last?

Based on some quick calculations it looked like it would cover maybe 30,000 total rebates. At the rate of sale of 4000 rebates per month (https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/rebate-statistics) I am guessing that there may be a solid 7-8 months left in the current funding? And since they stopped sending out the rebates in July then they might be able to fund rebates through something like February or March?

I purchased my Spark EV on June 30, but did not submit my rebate application until late August.

Well... the check is in the mail... sort of.

From CVRP:

Application started on
August 25, 2016
Application Approved
Application approved on September 20, 2016
Check sent on
--
Congratulations! Your application is approved.

We typically send your rebate check within 90 days of your application approval date. There may be some delays beyond normal processing times, but don’t worry; our goal is to get your check to you as soon as possible.

If you applied during the waitlist (June 11-September 28, 2016): We anticipate receiving funding in December and will issue rebate checks for approved applications as quickly as we can. See What does the rebate waitlist mean to me?for more details.

Good news! Received my rebate check from the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project yesterday. Happy days are here again...

Note: there are likely to be some changes in the implementation, because so far the program has benefitted only the financially comfortable.

http://evobsession.com/study-californian-clean-vehicle-incentive-program-disproportionately-benefited-wealthy/

EldRitch said:
Note: there are likely to be some changes in the implementation, because so far the program has benefitted only the financially comfortable
If you drive EV, you're probably living in a house with a garage to be able to charge the car. Seeing how CA home prices are so high, one would have to be "well off" compared to national income. This isn't going to change any time soon; EV are highly inconvenient compared to gas cars for people unable to afford to live in houses.

SparkevBlogspot said:
EldRitch said:
Note: there are likely to be some changes in the implementation, because so far the program has benefitted only the financially comfortable
If you drive EV, you're probably living in a house with a garage to be able to charge the car. Seeing how CA home prices are so high, one would have to be "well off" compared to national income. This isn't going to change any time soon; EV are highly inconvenient compared to gas cars for people unable to afford to live in houses.

That is probably true, but that will change as there is more infrastructure. I have been driving my Spark for the last 14 months while living in an apartment. I have only charged at home about 4 times. I have no gas car.

Work is a 30 mile round trip, and my work has free L2 chargers powered mostly by parking lot solar. There aren't any super close CCS stations near me, but enough in the directions I travel that I frequently take 2-300 mile day trips (round trip). That infrastructure allows me to be an atypical owner. Now, if only my previous ICE vehicle had waited an extra year to blow up....

Back