Chameleon Plasti Dip Spark Ev

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparqi

Ive been using dip for awhile and having fun with it. Though not as good as paint or powder coat, the fact that it is easily removable anytime is a big plus for me.

Here's mine in progress using Blue-Green Chameleon Dip. I did 4 layers of black and about 3 green metallizer at first, but end up liking the chameleon better. the bottom pieces are still green metallizer but will be chameleon soon including a few more pieces.
sparkbgdip_zpsbv2igamr.jpg

This closer pic shows green on the charging cover and blue on the grille. ill post more once i finished the rest.
sparkbgdipcl_zpsx8wslrxn.jpg

Are you intending on doing the whole car? I did black racing stripes in vinyl. They look awesome!

I'm only planning to do the spoiler and maybe the hood. But now thinking of the stripes thanks to you. It looks good! Ss look. Did you get it from ebay?

sparqi said:
I'm only planning to do the spoiler and maybe the hood. But now thinking of the stripes thanks to you. It looks good! Ss look. Did you get it from ebay?
No, I went to a local shop and had it done. The hood/roof cost me $210, plus $120 to install the side decals - which cost $79 from GM/Chevy. There's another thread on here where there's a guy that did all of this, too, and had the part #. Yeah, I stole his idea completely. LOL I added the "power" symbol to the lid to the charger ports. My idea. You can steal it if you like. This other guy had an electrical outlet symbol in black, but I preferred doing a power symbol in green...

Polish your masking and spraying skills on something else first.
Then mask around the grills with paper and masking tape all the way out to the sides and hood.
BUT, save the last ~ 1/4" detailed masking that touches the dividing line for last.

You have to peel off the tape while the plasitdip is still soft, so you don't want to mess with all the paper and masking tape at the same time.
I used a fresh roll of electrical tape for the detail masking. Paint shops sell 'Fine Line' tape also, but electrical tape has more uses.

Peel so that the tape is more than 90° as you go. If you wait too long you lift the plastidip with the masking tape.

The Depot sells a version of this product. That's the one I used. It is looking good and hanging in there. Just don't blast bugs off of it at the car wash. You have to be a little gentle with it.

Back