Charge door switch replacement

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porsche

Lately, I've noticed that if I accidentally leave the charge door open, I no longer get the "Charge Door Open" warning. Is there anything besides a bad switch that can cause this? If it is the switch, how do you access and change it? Thanks:)

Lately, I've noticed that if I accidentally leave the charge door open, I no longer get the "Charge Door Open" warning
Have you tried plunging the switch mechanism with your finger to see if #1 it has the expected spring force you encounter when opening and closing the door and #2 if the switch latches and unlatches from the depressed state?

Is there anything besides a bad switch that can cause this?
The door position switch switches between two voltage dividers that are periodically read by the powertrain control module 2.
You can either test the resistance by tapping into the correct wire that this computer senses under the driver seat and measuring the resistance with respect to chassis ground with the AGM battery disconnected, do a continuity test from point to point along the circuit, or verify the in-line connections/harnesses are fully connected and not physically damaged or severed at any point.

I have some images for this.
Here is the schematic showing the charge door circuit
h3YfIqD.png

The low side of the voltage dividers are connected to chassis ground on ground point G311 that is bolted at the end of that black loom imaged below in the wheel well.

Shown below, the high side signal travels behind the charge port in the wheel well through a small flat black cable.
Cbly4yI.png

Circled above, that black wire meets an in-line connector called B197.

This area takes time to get to. When I replaced my charge port, I had to take the wheel off, as well as remove the wheel well cover out which had a number of various hex screws and cover clips. If you do go in there make sure to wear some goggles because dirt is just waiting to jump into your eye when you look up from below. Ask me how I know.

r9D2LBp.png

Below is info on the B197 connector. You can see circuit 3697 referenced in the schematic that has a white wire with blue stripe that traces all the way through the wire harness Jumping through X117 and X106 to the Powertrain control module 2's GPIO pin where it reads the position state.
nGIjKFa.png

In case this connector is damaged and continuity is failing here, the manufacturer part number can be plugged into a parts distributor like Mouser if you need to replace it. Here's a quick link to the connector. You may also need the crimp terminals if they are damaged, you can PM me and I can help you locate the right one for this connector.
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/13519047?qs=xyz6lfZ1ktIhqycYgOC3Xg%3D%3D

edit: https://www.waytekwire.com/item/38319/Aptiv-13519047-GT-150-Series-3-Way-Sealed/ This is a much better source for the part, the datasheet also includes the proper cable seals and terminals to use.

If it is the switch, how do you access and change it?
The switch component and circuit board are buried in the charge port housing as a module, I don't think it was meant to be accessed, but i haven't carefully inspected it to know if there are retaining clips you could pry apart. If it comes to replacing the whole charge port housing, there are a few available online for under $50 and over $20 (or your local EV scrapyard!) If there aren't retaining clips and you don't want to replace the housing, you could still attempt a replacement, as long as you're okay with doing plastic surgery and doing some component sourcing, making sure to be careful with the wire connections leading to the switch, and have a strategy to put it back together in a waterproof and robust way. The plunger sits directly in front of the switch, of course.

Thanks again, Infinion for the truly helpful response. I always love hearing from you. It's pretty involved, so not sure when (or whether) I'll tackle this myself. It's too bad, a good while ago, someone on here was getting rid of a factory service manual. I DM'ed him but never got a reply. I guess he sold it already.

also, as for the reply above mine, I so wish there was a "report as spam" link on this site:)

Back