DFCS modification to prevent errors

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bicycleguy -

Great post. My self-modified socket now looks very much like the Rema DCFC socket for which you provided a photo. I carefully followed the modification instructions you also posted but, instead of a file, I used a Dremel Tool with a fine-grit grinding stone and, after I marked the area to be removed, I slowly and carefully reshaped the two ribs. I haven't had any DCFC charging problems so I assume the modification worked.

Here's mine. Haven't tested it yet.

highres_438693264.jpeg

highres_438693263.jpeg

Maybe a little more radius to the edges to get rid of that material hanging over the edges and you should be good to go! Just scrape it with the blade of a knife.

From the pictures you posted of the DCFC unit in your area, those are the same units the Kansas City area has (13 of them!).
I have never had a problem at all and my port is not modified.
I suspect there is a problem with a certain brand of CCS connector on the cord side. I read about some CCS cords being changed.
You may have fiddled with your car before you needed to....

Thanks Norton. Even with this mod., it was pretty tight pushing the connector into the port. I did not push it in all the way because I just wanted to take a photo (no power yet). I'm assuming when pushing it in all the way, I would eventually hear a click.

Yeah, it's snug, but you are connecting two high power pins and many of the J1772 pins.
I don't know what you would have experienced with no power to the charger.
When I plug into one of these DCFC I hear a big click at the connector, once the charger and car do the 'handshake'.
I suspect either the car port or the handle locks the connection so you can't move it while 44 kW of power is in motion.
I think you have to stop the charge with your card at the machine or your key fob before you can disconnect.
I don't feel like testing that. You? It's probably in the manual.... I should read that thing soon....

Mark,

I agree with all that Norton mentioned about the socket and plug. My only comment, in addition to cleaning up the edges of the ribs, would be to use piece of fine-grit sand paper and gently sand a small radius at the top of each rib instead of the current sharp edge.

I had one station where my first connection did not give me the click and nothing happened. I removed the plug and tried again. This time I got the click and everything went well from then on.

Dennis
2015 EV 2LT

Carney said:
Is there anyone who meets ALL these criteria:

1) Had problems (preferably frequent and persistent) getting DCFC to work, especially with nrg/evgo charging stations

2) Did the modification

3) Now has no or far fewer problems, especially at the very stations that were troublesome before the modification.

Yes, this was exactly my situation. My spark would work fine on most non-NRG quick-chargers, but not on NRG. So I did the mod, went to a station where it failed to work 3 times before, and it worked fine. I then tested it on 2 more NGR stations and they both worked. (note, one station would not read my rfid card and I had to call to get it started, but that a different issue)

CSW said:
Carney said:

1) Had problems (preferably frequent and persistent) getting DCFC to work, especially with nrg/evgo charging stations

2) Did the modification

3) Now has no or far fewer problems, especially at the very stations that were troublesome before the modification.

Yes, this was exactly my situation. My spark would work fine on most non-NRG quick-chargers, but not on NRG. So I did the mod, went to a station where it failed to work 3 times before, and it worked fine. I then tested it on 2 more NGR stations and they both worked. (note, one station would not read my rfid card and I had to call to get it started, but that a different issue)

Fascinating. Is yours a 2014 or 2015?

CSW said:
Carney,

I leased my 2015 Spark EV 2LT at the end of May and I am an EV "newbie". This car came with the DCFC connector. After reading on this forum about the problems many Spark EV owners had with some DCFC charging stations, I decided to do the connector modification myself and eliminate the possibility of having a DCFC connector problem that might strand me far from home. I can report I have had no DCFC charging problems with either NRG eVgo or Greenlots DCFC charging stations.

MrDRMorgan said:
I have a 2014 LT1 21kwh battery with the quick charge option.

Right now I am looking into purchasing a 2014 Spark EV 2LT but it may not have the DCFC socket. I really do not need it as this Spark EV will be strictly for in-town use and regular charging will be sufficient. My 2015 Spark EV 2LT does have the DCFC and it , within mileage reason, allows me to go just about anywhere I want.

There a lot more Chadmeo chargers out there than CCS Combo for sure. The 6.6 Kw nice too. I don't know why Spark did not get one.... how much more could it have cost? Leaf bigger than Spark too, which can be nice. I like my Spark, but dang it small, the Sonic would have been a fine choice to make electric too in my opinion.

MrDRMorgan said:
There a lot more Chadmeo chargers out there than CCS Combo for sure. The 6.6 Kw nice too. I don't know why Spark did not get one.... how much more could it have cost? LEAFVisit the LEAF Forum bigger than Spark too, which can be nice. I like my Spark, but dang it small, the Sonic would have been a fine choice to make electric too in my opinion.

My wife and I both really like the Spark EV and we do not find it to be too small at all. To us, it is just about perfect.

I am only considering a nice used Leaf because the price of a used Leaf seems to be dropping like mad as more and more leases expire. Leasing an new Leaf is also an option which may get even better if Nissan cannot get rid of their 2015 inventory.

CSW said:

I have a 2014 LT1 21kwh battery with the quick charge option.[/quote]

Thanks. I'm still not sure if this is necessary to do on a 2015.

MrDRMorgan said:
Thanks. I'm still not sure if this is necessary to do on a 2015

I modified my DCFC socket on my 2015 2LT just to be sure I would not have a problem charging at some distant DCFC location that would prevent me from getting home. I never tested the socket before the modification so I do not know for sure if I would have had a problem or not. However, I took my trusty Dremel tool and carefully made the modification per the instructions posted on this forum. The modification was quite easy to do and I have not had any DDCFC charging problems at any of the three DCFC stations within 60 miles of my home.

My 2015 was DCFC success about 90% of the time on first try (100% on 3 tries) when new (Apr 2015), and now it's less than 10% on first try, 50% on 6th try (Sep. 2015). I only read CSW having had failures fixed by connector mod. MrMorgan made the mod before hitting lots of problems, so it's not sure if there was a problem in the first place. Is there anyone else who had the problem resolved by filing down the connector corner?

I'm going to the deal tomorrow to ask for "file down mod" per 4003620 : PI1382.

http://oemdtc.com/6504/intermittent-unable-to-charge-from-dc-fast-charge-2014-2015-chevrolet-spark-ev
https://www.repairprocedures.com/service-bulletin/document/2015/chevrolet/spark-ev/preliminary-information/pi1382/100302690_7512709_2_82_0_4003620.html

Not sure what they're going to say.

CSW said:
Carney said:

2) Did the modification

MrDRMorgan said:
I am only considering a nice used Leaf because the price of a used Leaf seems to be dropping like mad as more and more leases expire. Leasing an new Leaf is also an option which may get even better if Nissan cannot get rid of their 2015 inventory.

I would caution against used Leaf. Leaf do not have liquid cooled battery thermal management. That shows as slower quick charge and shorter battery life, especially when charged and driven in hot weather. But if you plan to get rid of it before warranty expires, that might be ok.

Anyway, new blog post on why I chose SparkEV, even over Tesla P90D. ;) GM should just keep building SparkEV (with more reliable DCFC), and call it FolksEV, like how VW beetle was in production for 50+ years.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/why-sparkev-by-sparkev-blogspot.html

Back