Driving from Sacramento to ski?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcalira

I'd like to drive my Spark EV from the Sacramento area up Hwy 50 to ski at Sierra at Tahoe. It looks like there are DC fast chargers along the route, except for a big gap after Pollock Pines. It appears you can plug in Level 1 at the ski resort. Has anyone attempted this? I guess it's a pretty low-risk proposition. If it appears I can't make it I'll just turn around and coast back to Pollock Pines.

Sounds like a good time, with a little bit of adventure thrown in!

Like an airplane crossing the ocean with one engine out, KNOW where your 'drop dead' decision point is to do that 180.

Roof racks for the skis?

Alcalira said:
I'd like to drive my Spark EV from the Sacramento area up Hwy 50 to ski at Sierra at Tahoe. It looks like there are DC fast chargers along the route, except for a big gap after Pollock Pines. It appears you can plug in Level 1 at the ski resort. Has anyone attempted this? I guess it's a pretty low-risk proposition. If it appears I can't make it I'll just turn around and coast back to Pollock Pines.

I drove up Hwy 50 to Heavenly Village last July although I left from Manteca, CA. The climb from Pollock Pines to Echo Summit is steep. After fully charging at the ChargePoint station in Pollock Pines, I arrived, with about 15 miles to spare, at the ChargePoint station in the Heavenly Village garage. Your trip could be a challenge if you are going to use the car's heater. PlugShare shows it is about 35 miles from Pollock Pines to the Sierra-at-Tahoe ski area. Getting to Pollock Pines from Folsom or Rancho Cordova could be exciting too. Plus - piled-up snow around the two charging locations at Pollock Pines may cause a problem getting access to the chargers if the snow has not been removed. Regardless, it sounds like a challenging adventure. Good luck!

Back