EV Decals

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up Spark Dec 1 2014, ordered decals from Winter Chevy in Pittsburg using part number from this thread on Jan 22 and had them 3 days later no problem. Look great!

GaryC said:
Picked up Spark Dec 1 2014, ordered decals from Winter Chevy in Pittsburg using part number from this thread on Jan 22 and had them 3 days later no problem. Look great!

I didn't order through my dealer. Did you have your dealer install them for you?

Anyway, the 3M rep said the part number has now changed—evidently since you bought them—so I stand my good deed of the day.

I installed them myself. There's an indention on the doors where they go and they are just a relatively narrow strip so clean the surface wipe with alcohol and position them with masking tape. Take your time and not too tough. Turned out good. The car is that Salsa red and they are done with a cut out look so the black on red looks good.

GaryC said:
I installed them myself. There's an indention on the doors where they go and they are just a relatively narrow strip so clean the surface wipe with alcohol and position them with masking tape. Take your time and not too tough. Turned out good. The car is that Salsa red and they are done with a cut out look so the black on red looks good.

Thnx for the tip. I like them... I think they help set the car apart.

Posting a link: stencil

mickeybiosense wrote that he installed the decal / stencil himself in 10 minutes.

Picture:
1428379845.9921.iPicit.jpg

Ordered my stickers for the side yesterday from my local Chevy dealer, using the p/n info provided in this thread. No problem with placing the order. Looking forward to their arrival in two weeks.

My only surprise was that they were adhesive. Didn't fit prefect (had to trim some off the front tips), but hey do look nice once in place; they really set it apart from the pack.

I ordered a set of these decals from http://www.chevroletonlineparts.com/oe-gm/19299185 and they came the inverse graphic of those pictured in this thread. At first I was going to send them back, but decided they looked better over the white color (IMHO). The box even included a picture of the Spark EV with the usual black decal so I suspect it's a crapshoot what you might get. They took about 2 weeks to arrive.

widedecal.jpg

closedecal.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I definitely prefer the new reverse style. I put an order in at the link just posted, so here's to hoping I get the new style.

Bryce

Dusty said:
I ordered a set of these decals from http://www.chevroletonlineparts.com/oe-gm/19299185 and they came the inverse graphic of those pictured in this thread. At first I was going to send them back, but decided they looked better over the white color (IMHO). The box even included a picture of the Spark EV with the usual black decal so I suspect it's a crapshoot what you might get. They took about 2 weeks to arrive.

widedecal.jpg

closedecal.jpg

Dusty, I just ordered them from your link, Thanks. I called a couple of dealers in the Baltimore area, they could not get the decals for me. The new design is much cleaner. Did the decal come with instructions at all?

MitchD said:
Dusty said:

widedecal.jpg

closedecal.jpg

Dusty, I just ordered them from your link, Thanks. I called a couple of dealers in the Baltimore area, they could not get the decals for me. The new design is much cleaner. Did the decal come with instructions at all?

UPDATE....Chevroletonlineparts.com just sent me an email; "it appears the decal package you have ordered is not currently available. A credit has been written and you should see a refund in a few days. Thank You" NOW WHAT?? :cry:

That sucks! Wish I knew what to tell you. Maybe GM decided the decals made the Spark EV look too cool, and they feared the demand would snowball. ;)

Sorry for my part in this, unwitting as it was. :(

I finished work early, so had time to poke around the web. I know a lot more than I did before but maybe not nearly enough.

These decals are made by Original Wraps, a Golden, Colorado sign company bought by 3M back in 2011. I found two toll-free numbers, called them and left a message. About an hour later, a sales rep from 3M called me. Here's the deal:

The GM part number is: 19299185
The 3M graphics number is: GMSBEV001

These decals are still available! Unfortunately, the only configuration listed in their database is the black graphic with the cutout design and not the inverse which I received. I sent a picture of my car to the rep after she volunteered to investigate the discrepancy. I'm waiting for her reply.

Meanwhile, the procedure for buying these decals is through the dealer. They then order the decal through their API (accessory distributor installer) using the part numbers above. From what I gather, the problem some dealers have with the decal comes from the requirement by 3M that their graphics be professionally installed, otherwise there is no warranty. Dealers can sign up to be installers and get certified but why bother if there is little demand. (speculation on my part) BTW, the 3M rep said these decals were so small they didn't require professional installation.

Anyway, if you want one of these decals, I would call the dealership where you got the car and find out if the parts desk will order it for you. If not, post to this message and if there is enough demand, maybe we can convince 3M to sell them direct.

Did the decal come with instructions at all?
No. The only things in the box were the decals and a picture of a Spark EV sporting the decals. Nothing to say where they were made or even an invoice of their purchase. If someone actually succeeds in receiving these decals, and you want some installation help, let me know and I'll post my procedure. It's actually pretty easy.

Good Luck!

I heard back from 3M. According to their service rep my decal was a printer mistake. Evidently at some stage in the process, after the decal is cut, someone manually "weeds" the unwanted parts before the whole assembly is covered in safe-release tape. In my case, the wrong parts were weeded out.

If you really want the inverse graphic, you might try attaching a note to the order at the dealer saying so. It probably won't work since they appear resistant to the change, but you never know. Another thing is contacting 3M directly and voicing a preference for the inverse graphic. I won't publish the email address, but you can find their phone number on this page: http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-fuel-efficient-car/accessories.html

Good luck!

Dusty

No. The only things in the box were the decals and a picture of a Spark EV sporting the decals. Nothing to say where they were made or even an invoice of their purchase. If someone actually succeeds in receiving these decals, and you want some installation help, let me know and I'll post my procedure. It's actually pretty easy.

Dusty, I finally got my decals. They came in the regular way (not like yours) I am not sure of the installation procedure. Is this a dry or a wet installation? I watched a couple of you tube videos but unsure of which way to go. How did you do your?

Thanks, Mitch

Hey Mitch,
I'm assuming you have the same kind of decal as mine. If so, it's a 3-layer laminate: heavy, non-stick paper on the inside; clear, safe-release tape on the outside; and the decal in between.

This is a dry installation but you should clean the car first. Be sure to clean around the two door edges the decal spans. If it's been waxed, gently wipe the decal area with denatured alcohol or naphtha. Let dry.

Position the decals where you want them using masking tape. I put mine parallel with the bottom of the door recess about a 1/4" above the round over. You'll see what I mean when you start. I also positioned my "EV" lettering about 1" in front of the gap between the doors. That might not work for you since that might put the black field too far forward where it will escape the recess. I think I read where someone trimmed the front of their decals just for this purpose. It wasn't a problem with mine.

Use regular 1" 3M Blue tape to position the decal. Just about all other tapes will leave a residue when you remove it from the paint. This tape goes over the clear safe release tape and I used three 6" pieces to hold the decal in place - one on each end stretching the decal taught, and one in the middle to remove any sag. Make sure the decal is flat and the bottom straight.

When you're sure the decal is where you want it, carefully lay down a strip of Blue tape on the paint bellow the bottom edge of the decal. Go slowly, shoot for as straight a line as possible and get as close to the decal without touching it. This is your reference line and will help you lay the decal down where you want it.

I started applying both decals from the back. First I pulled loose the rear piece of masking tape and removed the back section of the non-stick paper up to about the door gap. Tear it or use scissors - doesn't matter. Just remember the decal adhesive is exposed and will stick to anything.

Then I pulled the rear masking tape backwards and carefully laid the back end of the decal onto the rear door making sure it went down along the reference tape. Use the edge of your thumb to press the decal firmly, working from the middle to the edges. Firmly press the decal up to about 2" from where you tore off the paper.

Then remove the remaining masking tape on the decal (not the reference line on the paint) leaving the front 4' of the decal hanging loose. Roll back the non-stick paper a few inches, stretching the decal softly with one hand, and firmly pressing the decal down along the reference tape with the other. Do this until you get to the end. If you're careful, you won't have to touch the decal adhesive. If not, make sure your hands are clean. It helps to do this laying on your side unless you have a lift. A thick moving blanket will help.

Once the decals are firmly in place, remove the reference tape and safe release tape. Resist the temptation to jump in your car and go speeding around the neighborhood to show everyone how cool your Spark EV looks. When you open the door, you'll rip the decal since it spans the door gap. Take a sharp razor and slice the decal down the middle between the two doors. Then open the doors and wrap the decals around the edges. Now you're done!

If this sounds too daunting, I should be home from work late afternoon each day this next week and we can do this together. i'm down in Bowie and you can recharge while we work. Just let me know.

Dusty

Nashco said:
Thanks for the tip, I definitely prefer the new reverse style. I put an order in at the link just posted, so here's to hoping I get the new style.

Bryce

Unfortunately, despite ordering the same part number from the same source, I got the "normal" sticker instead of the "reverse" sticker. The reverse must truly be a fluke. I'll reach out to the company and see how to get a reverse one, otherwise a workaround might be required.

Anybody handy with making vector art?

Bryce

Back