Good Deal?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormtrooper

Just leased a 2015 Spark EV 2LT with DC charging provisions, 18,000 mi/yr (I have a 60 mile roundtrip commute), 36 months, $315/month, effectively $245/month after $2500 CA rebate.

I bought my boss' 2003 Lexus IS300 six months ago and was paying on average $400/month for premium gas, which would only have gone up (recently went to the only gas station in downtown LA since it was the closest one and I was almost out and paid $4.68/gallon, which was $0.50 higher than the place by my house). I definitely would've liked to have paid less for the lease, but it still saves me money based on what I was spending on gas, plus full synthetic oil, and imminent repairs since the Lexus is already 13 years old and almost 200,00 miles.

- - Re: saving $$ - Calculating my savings on my average monthly gas cost has got to be a conservative way to look at it. I say that because I drove 13 miles home earlier after a DC quick charge at Trader Joe's; half of the drive was downhill on Fairfax with lots of regen breaking and the other half was freeway driving at 56 mph. When I got home I averaged 7.2 miles/kwh. That's about 240 mpg. :mrgreen: Seems like that would equal greater savings. Obviously I won't get that all the time, but I was stoked to see that level of efficiency. At one point I think the trip odomoeter said something like 12 mi/kWh and 127 miles of maximum range before I hit the freeway. -- Sorry for rambling, just geeking out on the the prospect of trying to hyper-mile this bad little car!

I wonder about my lease being a good deal because originally I went to the closest dealer to my house to look into the lease deal that had just started ($139/month, 0 down). I got a quote for the 1LT, 18,000 mi/yr, dc quick charge. My credit score ran 679 but the dealer said they would give me the tier 1 credit rating, $240/month $800 due at signing. A few days later I made up my mind to get the car, but they didn't have any with the dc fast charge or a good color, so I waited a week or two, and then the dealer said he wouldn't be able to get one for 8 weeks because the lease deal had moved so many cars. He said I shot myself in the foot for waiting so long. Probably not the best phrasing for inspiring customer loyalty. I said I was willing to wait if there weren't going to be any cars for two months.

Meanwhile, I looked on Chevy's site, and low and behold they have an inventory checker, so I looked and there were a bunch of Spark EVs in the LA area, but for some reason this dealer couldn't get one and decided to tell me I had to wait two months? In which time I would have paid for two new tires since the old ones have bubbles, probably another $1000 in gas easily, $70 oil change, etc. $240/month or not, I was going to at least go see what deal I could get right now.

I went to a place that had 6 Sparks when I first called on Friday, and only 2 left when I came in on Saturday. These things are moving fast. The only two cars left were white 2LTs. I was hoping for silver, maybe black, but white would do. Stays cooler anyways. I had to come back the next day since I came in late the night before and couldn't get a response form the banks. My credit score was 681 this time and they offered me $340/month, 0 down. I asked for lower and they came back with $329/mo $340 down (basically same thing as before, just paying first month down). I said I needed closer to $300 they came back with $315/month, $340 down and that included the first month. So I agreed to that price, tacked on the lease protection for $0.90/day to cover up to $5000 in annoying things that might (probably will) happen to the car in the next three years that insurance wouldn't cover, and zipped out of the parking lot in sport mode.

I've had the car over a week and really enjoy it! I've DC fast charged a couple times and can't wait to see more fast charge stations around. Between the 240V chargers at work and 12 Amp charging at home, I don't really need DC charging often, but it's handy in a pinch. I want to drive my car up to San Luis Obispo (where I'm from) from LA, and there are currently maybe enough DC chargers on the route that I can make it all the way without having to stop for a slow charge, but I would have to be driving for max efficiency to make it. Will probably be attempting that soon!

Anyways that's pretty much all the details. $315/month and $240/month are pretty far apart, and the 2LT - 1LT difference doesn't account for $75 (though the upgraded interior is definitely pretty sweet). The 2nd dealer said I was three tiers below top tier at 681 and there's no way the other dealer could get me top tier financing; the banks won't allow that. That seems pretty likely, but at any rate I'll never know. The only lesson there really is have better credit and you won't have to worry as much if you're getting the best price you can, haggling aside. Thoughts?

Good deal compared to what? If your old gas car was paid for, your deal is bad; consider your insurance will be much higher with new car, not to mention beyond basics and full coverage. Compared to buying a used car (eg. 2006 Elantra), your deal is very bad. Compared to a new car, your deal could be good but mostly likely bad (depends on car). You have to get quotes to compare. But at prices you state, I don't think SparkEV is for you as economics go. A used Elantra or other gas car that gets 30MPG combined would be far better deal.

If you use DCFC (assuming eVgo OTG plan), SparkEV drops to about 50 MPGe or up to 70 MPGe with hyper miling. This assumes you always DCFC and never charge anywhere else, not even at home. It's unlikely you'll recoup the cost of cheaper car.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/public-chargers-in-socal.html

OTOH, you have the quickest car under $20K. Basically you bought performance rather than economy. If you could afford 2.5X (or 10X used car) prices to enjoy the performance, more power to you.

I meant good deal compared to what other people paid for the same or similar trim, miles, credit score, etc.

As I mentioned in the post, just the cost of gas in my old car coupled with my 60 mile daily commute makes the lease payment make sense for me. I'm just trying to get a gauge for what other people are paying.

Yep, insurance went up, but still pencils out, especially with the state rebate.

They do say that too much DC fast charging reduces battery capacity, but Chevy's liquid-cooled batteries are supposed to be able to take multiple fast charges daily with minimal effect. But no, I would only use DC fast charging in a pinch or on a long trip (as I did on my journey up to SLO a couple weeks ago! I'll write about that elsewhere). There just aren't enough of them around for me to even be able to use them that off. And I actually mostly just do 8 Amp 120V charging at home, 12 Amps if I'm really low, and that is enough charge overnight 95% of the time. I hardly ever use the 240V chargers at work.

But I have NOT seen the MPGe drop anywhere near 50 or 70. Lowest has been 125 MPGe.

Also not worried about recouping cost, but I'm still sure that I will save money over owning that Lexus. I leased the Spark EV because I don't want to own an early-gen EV, but want to reduce emissions, save a little money, and ride solo in the HOV lane. When the three years is up, I'm dead set on actually purchasing a Tesla Model 3 (unless I can afford the P85D...)

It is definitely a fast little car, so I'm very happy about that. But do tell, which electric car is 2.5 times cheaper than the Spark? Or are you just comparing to normal gas cars? Which would not be apples to apples...

You will always have people who paid more and less. No point to compare anymore since you already got the vehicle, and the Lease price of the Spark has been up and down a lot recently.

But if you want to know, assuming Zero drive off, and before any rebates.
It has been as low as $129 a month for a 15k mile Lease. First time I see a 18k miles Lease post here.

Stormtrooper said:
As I mentioned in the post, just the cost of gas in my old car coupled with my 60 mile daily commute makes the lease payment make sense for me. I'm just trying to get a gauge for what other people are paying.
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you got the best car on the market today, EV or otherwise. You can read in my blog how SparkEV is best kickass car today, even better than P85D. But your cost is high. At 315/mo for 36 mo.

+315 * 36 = 11340 (lease payments)
+18000 mi/yr * 3 yrs / 4mi/kWh * $0.20/kWh = 2700 (electricity)
+1200 * 3 = 3600 (insurance)
-2500 (rebate)
= 15140 (total for SparkEV)

11340 is lease for 3 years, but buying would be 15K (26K-7.5K-2.5K-1K Chevy rebate). For a bit more, you could've bought it and drive it unlimited miles. 5 or 6 year financing for purchase would've been better. Assuming you can sell for 7.5K after 5 years, car would've only cost 7.5K in 5 years instead of 11.34K in 3 years, making it cheaper by 3840.

If your gas car was paid for
+400/mo * 36 = 14400 (gas)
+333 * 3 = 1000 (maintenance, do-it-yourself + non-dealers)
+300 * 3 = 900 (liability insurance)
-2500 (assuming you can sell Lexus for this much after 3 years)
= 13800 (total for your Lexus)

But if you bought a good, reliable used car for $2500 that gets 30 mpg and only drive it for 3 years then throw it away (ie, 0 resale),
+2500 (car)
+18000 miles/year / 30 mpg * $3.5/gal * 3 years = 6300 (gas)
+333 * 3 = 1000 (maintenance, do-it-yourself + non-dealers)
+300 * 3 = 900 (liability insurance)
-2500 (assuming you can sell Lexus for this much now)
= 8200 (total for used car)

Of course, your situation would be different from mine, such as where you do maintenance and insurance premiums and negotiating price in selling your car, so you should adjust. But in general, I think leasing EV is not the best in terms of financial deal. My original comment was too high for the high miles you drive; I thought it was for 10k miles / year deal. Still, a used subcompact gas car that only runs for 3 years would've been lot cheaper for you.

Stormtrooper said:
But I have NOT seen the MPGe drop anywhere near 50 or 70. Lowest has been 125 MPGe.
I don't know how you got 125MPGe. If that was based on your down hill miles/kWh display, consider that you'll have to go uphill, and combined will be worse than flat road. I find that SparkEV gets about 4 miles/kWh if you charge at home (about 4.5 mi/kWh with DCFC) with typical driving down hill and up hill. Display will show "optimistic" number for mi/kWh, but that's not what you actually pay to charge the car due to charging inefficiencies.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/spark-ev-efficiency.html
http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/spark-ev-miles-per-gallon-this-table.html

This is about 80 MPGe, depending on today's gas prices. It's about 70 MPGe if you use DCFC all the time and never charge at home. It could go as low as 25MPGe if you only use DCFC 3 times a month.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/public-chargers-in-socal.html

Stormtrooper said:
They do say that too much DC fast charging reduces battery capacity, ... There just aren't enough of them around for me to even be able to use them that off.
If you don't have DC fast chargers in your area, that defeats one of the most practical aspects of SparkEV. Without DCFC, gas car would be far more practical. There may not be enough DCFC to get you to SLO.

But you already got SparkEV; enjoy the performance and watch out for wearing out your tires early.

Finally, is it possible for you to move closer to work? Renting near your work would save your lots of aggrevation, SparkEV or Ferrarri, especially considering you live in LA, the traffic hell of So Cal.

Back