Honk when charging?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorChispa

So, I know the spark will honk once when you first plug it in to charge (which I'd love to turn off if someone can tell me how).

But I don't understand why it would honk later while charging, which it does occasionally. It seems random, not connected to any brownout, breaker blowing, unplug/replug event that I am aware of. The plug is firmly seated.

I have it set to alert me by email when charging finishes or if charging is interrupted, but have not gotten any interrupt alerts.

Has anyone else experienced this?

See section (page) 5-41 ('Vehicle Personalization' section starting at 5-37) of the Owner's manual for configuring the 'Charging Alerts':

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ip/Manuals and Videos/02_pdf/2k14spark_ev.pdf

I think what you want to turn off is the 'Charge Status Feedback' option? I did so on mine and the horn does not honk as I have a tendency to plug-in when I get home late from the gym and don't want to wake the family. :)

Turned that sucker off day 1.
Now only if I could do the same to hi-beam flash... :?

iletric said:
Turned that sucker off day 1.
Now only if I could do the same to hi-beam flash... :?

Answer:never pull the stick toward you when toggling high beam. Only push forward toward windshield = No horn.

That's how you turn hi-beams on. That's not a flash.

Wouldn't that be something..."horn will sound incessantly when hi-beams are engaged..." Now wouldn't that be the Chevy way.

Like that physical key they attached to the pod. "You can have it bo' but you'd better not use it or alarm will sound." I almost fell off my chair when the dealer told me that this is the way it is supposed to work, adding that this is why Chevys don't get stolen.

No surprise Japanese cars took over American auto market.

My last American was 94 Dodge Caravan. Paint began shooting off within 30 days of ownership. They never fixed it. Don't get me started. Oxygen sensors... The best news I ever got was when it got stolen in Oakland and I got good money back fro AAA, i.e. about twice what it was worth.

iletric said:
Wouldn't that be something..."horn will sound incessantly when hi-beams are engaged..." Now wouldn't that be the Chevy way.

Like that physical key they attached to the pod. "You can have it bo' but you'd better not use it or alarm will sound." I almost fell off my chair when the dealer told me that this is the way it is supposed to work, adding that this is why Chevys don't get stolen.

Yes.

The Spark EV dash has many more features than my Honda Fit. But it is too full of surprises and embarrassments like the honk to flash, and somehow my passengers have a hard time with the door locks. The Fit is incredibly easy to use, all the controls are where you expect them to be, they do what you expect them to do and they don't do weird things autonomously, like honk or turn the lights on for no particularly good reason.

No doubt I'm disposed to think that the Fit controls are logical because I have driven mostly Hondas for the past 30 years. But there is a reason for all those Hondas. I clearly remember getting my first 81 Civic and what a great impression it made, having everything right where it was supposed to be. And somehow they managed to not screw that up since. Contrast this with eg my father-in-laws Buick with the headlight switch on a little knob on the drivers door arm rest. Seriously, the headlights? on the door? At least it was on the drivers door.

The Spark is nowhere as bad as that, but there are some other Spark ergonomics nitpicks:

- There is no need to duplicate the climate controls on a display and with knobs.
- It would be nice to be able to turn the radio off without turning off the whole display.
- It is too easy to hit a button below the touch screen by accident with another finger hanging down when trying to hit a menu item on the screen.
- The power mirror select switch is really cheap feeling. It makes this brittle snap when you toggle it left/right like it's about to break.
- The seat heater switches are too low and far forward, you have to bend and stretch to reach them. Better locations would be with the climate buttons, or the side of the seat, or even on the armrest.
- Of all the climate controls, the hard to reach seat heater controls are the only ones not duplicated on the display/menus. Did they run out of menu items? Why are they so far away anyway, did they run out of wire?
- The "energy flows" display is pointless as it duplicates information already on the "DIC" (heh heh) with an even sillier animation and even less information. Why waste code on this when it could have been spent fixing the other energy screens? Eg, the graph background lines on the "energy history display" are the same in international units mode as in US mode. However one line per 4kw/100km makes sense. Sadly in Miles mode each line represents 3/4 mile/kwh. Which is pretty hard to interpret. Either change the scale to match the background lines, or change the background lines, but don't make us multiply fractions in our heads.
- Why does the energy history graph have it's y-axis zero on the right and travel from right to left? Just weird.
- Why can't you find out the remaining KWh in the battery? Or the amount required to charge it? The projected range is not as useful for figuring out how long a charge would take instead of how far you can go.
- The screen to set the electric utility rate schedule was a complete brain twizzler the first few tries even though I knew what they were doing and why. They were building a table of the schedule for one 24 hour interval from five non-overlapping segments starting at midnight by just specifying the end point of each segment. But that is not how people do this sort of task. People make list of the start and end time of each segment. What the Spark does is sort of like making change by stacking the coins up and then measuring the height of the stack. Sure, it works, but it's just weird and no-one does that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Spark EV, the space utilization is good, it handles pretty well, the ride isn't bad, and all that instant silent thrust makes up for a lot of minor sins.

markcmann said:
See section (page) 5-41 ('Vehicle Personalization' section starting at 5-37) of the Owner's manual for configuring the 'Charging Alerts':

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ip/Manuals and Videos/02_pdf/2k14spark_ev.pdf

I think what you want to turn off is the 'Charge Status Feedback' option? I did so on mine and the horn does not honk as I have a tendency to plug-in when I get home late from the gym and don't want to wake the family. :)

Thanks for the tip on this. On my Spark, the vehicle options section was greyed out, which I thought meant I could not modify it. I didn't realize that the car had to be on for that section to be available. Seems strange that they ONLY allow you to modify that if the car is on, and yet only allow you to modify some of the other settings if the car is off.

My wife will be happy that I'll no longer be "honking" each time I get home from work.

Oberon, and also that primo display real estate at the top center dash that tells you only one single into about the passenger air bag being off or on. What a waste! Gimme a clock! Gimme temp! Gimme somethting!

As I said before. The whole display schemes, including mp3 Music that shows the song in gigantic letters and the artist and the CD file in minuscule ones, and does not tell you track 3 of 12 (for example) looks like it was designed by a bunch of 11-year-olds.

I leased!

Oberon said:
iletric said:
Yes.
- The power mirror select switch is really cheap feeling. It makes this brittle snap when you toggle it
- The "energy flows" display is pointless as it duplicates information already on the "DIC" (heh heh) with
- Why can't you find out the remaining KWh in the battery? Or the amount required to charge it? The projected range is not as useful for figuring out how long a charge would take instead of how far you can go.
As for ilectric's statement, do keep in mind that GM and Ford still typically outsells #1 Japanese automaker Toyota in most months. Sometimes Toyota overtakes Ford, but IIRC, it's rare or unheard of for them to overtake GM too. See http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/01/october-2013-auto-sales-results/, for example.

But yes, Big 3 market share is WAY down from the peak. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/09/23/gms-market-share-hovers-near-record-low/ from 2010 says
GM recorded its lowest share of the U.S. auto market -- 17.6% -- in March 2010. Last month, the No. 1 U.S. carmaker held 18.6% of the market. At its peak of market power in 1962, GM made over 50% of all cars sold in the country.
Us being in California presents a very stilted pic of the auto market. From the California report at http://www.cncda.org/secure/GetFile.aspx?ID=2610 (from http://www.cncda.org/secure/GetFile.aspx?ID=2610), Toyota is the top selling automaker in CA and the Prius is the best selling car in CA. YTD, Japanese vehicles have a 47.7% share in CA and domestics only 29.0%.

As for cheap feeling switches, I'm not surprised. The ICE Spark is a cheap econobox. Cheap interiors, controls and switches aren't uncommon for that price range.

As for DIC, heh. That seems to be a GM thing. Cruzes also have a DIC.

As for how many kWh remaining in the batter or how many needed to charge it, FWIW, the '13 Leaf doesn't have either value.

As for the honk... at my work, we have an internal web EV/PHEV web page and someone added a note saying that it's normal for a Spark EV and Volt to honk when plugged in because it gets so excited. :D

Thanks markcmann. Now sparky is quiet when first plugged in. Still don't know why it would beep sometimes beep during charging also, but now it is a mute point (pun!).

Oberon said:
- There is no need to duplicate the climate controls on a display and with knobs.
- It would be nice to be able to turn the radio off without turning off the whole display.

I actually like having the both climate control options. Most of the time, I'm using the knobs for basic control, but when I want to do something more odd, it's nice to be able to change it through the screen. Since it has remote start of A/C and Heat, it has to be electronic, and I'm glad they didn't make it all electronic.

Using the mute (either on the steering wheel, or the button that appears on the screen when you change volume) is effectively the same as turning off the radio.

Using the mute (either on the steering wheel, or the button that appears on the screen when you change volume) is effectively the same as turning off the radio.

Except that if you use OnStar, which I do all the time if nothing else just to annoy them for failing to install a nav system where it should naturally live, but at the completion of the OnStar call, the radio volume is back. I do miss having a radio on/off button.
-Corwin

corwin said:

Except that if you use OnStar, which I do all the time if nothing else just to annoy them for failing to install a nav system where it should naturally live, but at the completion of the OnStar call, the radio volume is back. I do miss having a radio on/off button.
-Corwin

I had to resort to an old trick for that: I just stick in a 3.5mm plug into the AUX port and switch the audio source to that. No need to mute the volume.

corwin said:

-Corwin

I agree. I hate turning the whole thing off just to turn the radio off. Though, I just recently "found" the mute button on the steering well, and really like that. I also found the volume control buttons on the steering wheel and LOVE that, because that was a big niggle, for me; trying to hit the up and down button on the dash while driving. And, I never use OnStar; I use my phone / Google Nav. I prefer it because I get the traffic situation. I tried Bringo, and liked it well enough, but it's not so great without the traffic.

I agree with a lot of these niggles I've seen on the posts here. Like the Charging animation... I see no value in it at all. But they are all truly minor. I would LOVE to have an arm rest for the PASSENGER seat, so I could use it, myself. Seems very weak to not have one for the passenger. VERY weak. The other thing would be dampers for the doors, so the car doesn't sound like a metal lunch box when you shut the doors. For $28k, you think you'd get that. But... you have to admit the leather-wrapped steering is very nice, as well as the ride. It's literally better than my Mercedes 2-door sports coupe.

Overall, I am THRILLED with this car. Absolutely love driving it. It's a whole new feel. So much fun to drive. I literally can't wait to drive it.

Back