How to disable heater and A/C without turning off the fan?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genosensor

I've brought a Spark EV with the SAE fast charge option about 10 days ago.

The owners manual implies that the "TEMP" button controls whether or not the heater and A/C operate. But, I noticed that the climate power was high even with it "TEMP" and "AUTO" off. I figured if the "TEMP" indicator is off, the temperature setting would have no effect. But, this does not appear to be the case. (at least on my car)

Could someone please try the following experiment with their Spark EV:

0) Park the car, leave it "ON" and "READY"

1) Select the Climate Control screen

2) Adjust temperature control to that of the car's interior
(so you should not be trying to heat or cool the cabin)

2) Turn off "AUTO" and "TEMP" control modes

3) Configure your driver display to show Kw being used.
[not the cute animated green spinning ball]

4) Turn the fan on about half full speed

If you've got the temperature set to that of the car's interior,
you should see 0Kw being consumed (the fan alone does not draw much)
and the climate power % somewhere < 20%

5) Turn the temperature knob up (10-20 degrees higher)

On my car, the current consumption will rise to nearly 8kw as the cabin heater runs.
After a couple minutes, I notice warm air from the vents.

6) Turn the temperature knob down (10-20 degrees lower than ambient)

On my car, the consumption sits at 1 to 2kw.
After a few minutes, cool air is coming from the vents.
(the A/C is more efficient than the heater)

I've found no way to just blow fresh air without running the climate control.
This is a shame, as the fan alone takes very little power, and fresh air is a very nice thing :)
Any ideas?

There's a setting deep in the controls that allows the air conditioning or heater to be used even when the "temp" button is pressed for defrost needs. So, if you're in any mode that uses defrost air to the windshield, it will still consume power UNLESS you go in to the setting and change it from the default setting. I fixed this the day after I got my car because I hate phantom power consumption that I can't control.

I can't recall exactly where it's buried, but you should be able to find it in the owner's manual or poking around in the screens while parked. If you find it, change it, then report back on if it works as intended or not.

Bryce

I am having a hell of a fun time with this.

The news is: you're car is screwed up. There should be no heat in Chevy's book if the Temp light is off and there should be no draw either. In my book, what your car does makes a lot of sense--it makes heat when you turn the knob to "HI" with or without Temp button on. My perception of this Temp button is that of the "AC" button. Turns out it is both: AC and Heat.

What that means is that we cannot turn one off without turning off the other. You, on the other hand, can. Is it a fluke or is it the way it supposed to have been? Well, the button says HEAT. So there.

I think we should swap cars! :lol:

I tried all of your tests here in Southern California, with temps in the 70s, and was unable to replicate your experience. Regardless of the temperature setting (LO-70s-80s-HI), I never saw the energy usage go above 0KW during the test, and climate power stayed below 15%, even with fan on MAX.

Nashco has got it right. Thanks!

I had enabled "auto defog" in the climate control settings and forgotten about it.

There should be an indication on the climate control screen when auto defog is active.
It would also be nice to see indicators for (blue) A/C and (red) heater active as well.

"Auto Defog." Didn't know there was such a thing. I wonder what it does... :cool:

Oh! It must "see" your windshield is all fogged up and defogs it. That's it! :lol:

Back