ISSUE - Programmable Charging System Disabled

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedi2155

Got my first issue on my Spark EV. The other day when I tried to check on time to charge complete I got a "--" on the estimated charging time. Then I when I went onto the dash to try to find the values I found out I cannot set any charging time except Immediate. Called On-Star and the downloaded the following code: P0D1F - Battery Control Module Internal Fault. Please service at your convenience. Never gave me any issue other than what I described and had no check engine light.

This is going to be fun.

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/lE9LB

*EDIT*

So...after having the issue for about 3-4 days, I decided earlier today to detach the 12v battery then reattach it to power cycle the battery system BMS. The error remained. Then on my drive home again it finally disappeared! Wooohoo saved myself a trip to the dealer but I'll be watching this a lot more closely now....

If you saw my edit, I was able to clear the issue by removing then negative lead to the 12V auxiliary battery under the hood, waiting 30 seconds, then putting back on and driving it for about 10 miles.

My theory is that the fault was probably intermittent and lied with the Battery Management System (BMS) within the traction battery that had an intermittent fault. When you turn off the car, it does not remove power to the BMS to reset it. So in order to do the typical IT "did you try turning it on and off?" I removed power to the 12v auxiliary which forces the BMS to power off and power on again.

Now the error didn't immediately go away because the trouble code being generated by the battery likely was stored within the car, but after driving it a few miles it disappeared and haven't seen it since (500 miles since it last happened). Its worth a shot without going to the dealer but if it comes back, then I would definitely check the dealer.

FYI, found a website that listed the service condition for my issue in particular. Also a great site that lists a lot of service bulletins for our Spark EV's. Interesting to run through all of them to see what they've found out.

http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics.com/12177/bev-inaccurate-charge-completion-time-displayed-or-delayed-charging-concerns-2014-2015-chevrolet-spark-ev

In case it helps --

OTC P0D1F: Control Module Date/Time Synchronization Performance

Circuit/System Description
The hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 monitors the date and time data it receives from the GPS satellite systems via the OnStar module. This time information is used to ensure the module's internal clock is synchronized to the customer's local time. The Time of Day Charging feature utilizes this internal clock to keep track of time and alarms for delayed charging modes. If this GPS time data is received during a drive cycle, the system is considered synchronized.

Back