Paint Flaking Off

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've had my 2014 Chevy Spark EV for about 10 months now and paint has been flaking off the hood steadily since I bought it. There are about 10 spots on the hood now where paint has flaked off. Has anyone else had this problem? The car is painted with a metallic paint color called "Titanium", which is the dark grey color. I noticed this color is not available for the 2015 model, any coincidence here?

We've had our spark in the same color for about 6 months now and no paint flaking so far for us.

Is it flaking like the paint wasn't applied properly, or chipped like you would get from stones hitting it? Some pictures would be helpful in case others have a similar problem in the future.

Of course, keep in mind you're still under warranty! No need to worry if you have a quality issue, the local dealer can take a look and determine the proper fix.

Bryce

I've got the same color but I haven't noticed it flaking off on its own. I did chip some by the charging port when plugging it in one dark night but nothing unusual. Do you wash it with anything special perchance?

The paint on the hood could have been damaged during transport. It's not unheard of for something to drip on the car from another car above it. When the dealer gets the car, they have the hood repainted and everything looks good.

Of course, some dealers do this on the cheap. Earl Scheib anyone? Sooner or later the new budget paint job starts failing. This may or may not be what happened and in any case don't get mad at the selling dealer. If it was repainted on the cheap, it could have been done at the port before the dealer even saw the car.

Just one possibility, but it is one that I have witnessed in the past.

Back