Problems with DC fast charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porsche

OK, so I've been waiting and waiting for a nearby installation of a free public DC fast charger nearby on the way to work. It's finally complete and unveiled a few months ago. Yay! But... here's the problem. I connect my 2015 Spark EV. The charge cycle begins normally, then immediately terminates with no actual charging. There's no error; the session just ends (I think there may have been some kind of message once, that the station terminated the charging). It's a 50kW EV Connect charger, picture attached. There are two of them, both with the same problem. After a few attempts, I called the phone number on the charger. They tried to help, initiated the session remotely, but still no joy (and no explanation). Oh, and I visited another nearby but less convenient DC fast charger (not EV Connect) and everything worked fine. Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions for getting some kind of support escalation? Thanks for any help.

charger.jpg

My experience with my 2015 DC fast charge is very similar to yours. Most EVgo DC fast chargers near me would not connect to my Spark EV. Only one of the EVgo chargers has ever worked. The only ones that work are the ChargePoint DC fast chargers.

On the other hand, Lever 2 chargers, no matter their networks, have no problem for me. At least that's my impression of the few times that I have tried.

I've also had good luck with Chargepoint chargers, also some (but not all) "generic" ones. You may know this already, but there's a service bulletin for a mod to the Spark's charging port that will help in some instances. See:

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/threads/tesla-magic-dock-2014-spark-ev-not-good-news.9442/post-29361

If this is your problem, you'd get a communication error.
I was thinking the same thing. If they haven't filed down part of the charge port on the Spark EV it could be a communication problem. I was having the same problem at Electrify America stations till I did the modification myself. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10138002-9999.pdf

What is the charger model number Porsche?

Try and make sure your phone isn't connected to the Spark's blue tooth. I heard that can cause problems. Also with Electrify America chargers I always start the charge through the app. Not sure if the charger you are having a problem with has an app or not.

OK, so I've been waiting and waiting for a nearby installation of a free public DC fast charger nearby on the way to work. It's finally complete and unveiled a few months ago. Yay! But... here's the problem. I connect my 2015 Spark EV. The charge cycle begins normally, then immediately terminates with no actual charging. There's no error; the session just ends (I think there may have been some kind of message once, that the station terminated the charging). It's a 50kW EV Connect charger, picture attached. There are two of them, both with the same problem. After a few attempts, I called the phone number on the charger. They tried to help, initiated the session remotely, but still no joy (and no explanation). Oh, and I visited another nearby but less convenient DC fast charger (not EV Connect) and everything worked fine. Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions for getting some kind of support escalation? Thanks for any help.

View attachment 15
I am also new to the charging challenges as we just bought a used 2015 Spark. So far the EVgo have all failed to work! the EV Connect have worked fine!

I've also had good luck with Chargepoint chargers, also some (but not all) "generic" ones. You may know this already, but there's a service bulletin for a mod to the Spark's charging port that will help in some instances. See:

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/threads/tesla-magic-dock-2014-spark-ev-not-good-news.9442/post-29361

If this is your problem, you'd get a communication error.
I have done that modification per the bulletin's instructions. It helped in some occasions as far as I can tell. However, the newer DC changers of the EVgo system are just not working for me.

I have done that modification per the bulletin's instructions. It helped in some occasions as far as I can tell. However, the newer DC changers of the EVgo system are just not working for me.
thats because the problem is in the software of the charger... not on the car side...
nothing you can do about it

Can you please provide any kind of label that indicates the charger equipment? It would be nice to keep records of this stuff. Just as an FYI. Every new Delta brand DC Charger installed in the last two years from EVgo has failed to work on my 2015 Spark EV. In addition, Tesla Magic-dock in Enfield, CT not even having the correct shape to accommodate the locking pins spells a very bleak future for us. (No luck on that field trip).

I am also new to the charging challenges as we just bought a used 2015 Spark. So far the EVgo have all failed to work! the EV Connect have worked fine!

Also having problems with the LOOP network "Tritium" charging station. It hooks up with the LOOP APP or direct using a CC, but never finishes the final handshake to begin charging...???

I really NEED to get this 75KW DC Fast charger to work as it is ideally located between our home north of Sandpoint ID. and Couer d' Alene ID. 62 miles south.

Any others who have used LOOP network "Tritium" charging stations successfully, please share any advice you may have learned. Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
I had problems with my 2014 Spark at DC fast chargers before I modified the charging port. Now it works most of the time but occasionally I do need to provide a little bit of upward pressure on the charger handle until the charge starts. I'm assuming that when it doesn't work it's because of a bad connection during the pre charge handshake.

I also did the mod and tried it again. I'll have to try again and try a little upward pressure to see if it helps the communication handshake and actually starts to charge the car.

Back