Sun Shade for your Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonSpark

The Bay Area got a little warm today. I was looking for a sun shade that would fit exactly to our beloved Spark.

Call the dealer in Capitol and they said, sorry no part for one. Really? I call the Steven Creek dealer where I purchased my Spark; she said, come on down we have one for you (Last one too). How convenience, I better buy one or else I am going to be cook under the sun!

Part number: 1348 by Heat Shield (fit Chevy Sonic,hatch). Who cares, I try it on my Spark and it fits like a glove. Below is the picture. BTW, I hate front licence plate so I took it off (need to fix them holes :evil: ). Cop plz go away....

Price $34 plus tax.

Note: the custom was about $79....not thx!

nx54xx.jpg

It does look nice,

What do you call "little warm" up there? :)

I forgot how expensive dealer accessories are, so $34 sounded outrageous to me until I saw the price for the custom shade - really?
I have heard that people "ware" those shades on the outside of the windshield in places where it really gets hot. I may try doing it with my old beat-up shade and see if gets the legs... :shock:

I've bought that brand of sun shade before and they're very nice. I now buy one for just about every car I have. For $30 its nice to have one that fits perfectly.

Although, I can't deny I'm thinking about just getting ceramic tint all around, and that includes clear ceramic tint on the front windshield. All the heat reduction, while still being clear.

DDMan11 said:
Although, I can't deny I'm thinking about just getting ceramic tint all around, and that includes clear ceramic tint on the front windshield. All the heat reduction, while still being clear.

Let me know if you get it install and how it works for you. I am in the process of researching...thx

VonSpark said:
DDMan11 said:

Let me know if you get it install and how it works for you. I am in the process of researching...thx

I did a bunch of research last night and will be calling a few places this week. I know for ceramic it will probably cost close to $700 for the whole car to be tinted (windshield included) for ceramic. Maybe even more. Ugh. So hard to justify that plus the extra $200-500 for an L2 charger (after the Bosch discount, since I will need the 25' cable) on a LEASED vehicle. Oh well, the charger is useful for more than just this car since I'm getting the 30a version.

Just noticed your sig, I have a similar 6.24kw system, except mine is 24 260 panels. :)

I have had the front windshield tinted on another vehicle, it did not work out for me.
It was not the ceramic tint, but according to the installer the "next best thing", whatever that means...
I had to remove it from the front windshield because it was interfering with my eyesight. I now have the ceramic on all the windows but the front windshield and love it.

nmikmik said:
I have had the front windshield tinted on another vehicle, it did not work out for me.
It was not the ceramic tint, but according to the installer the "next best thing", whatever that means...
I had to remove it from the front windshield because it was interfering with my eyesight. I now have the ceramic on all the windows but the front windshield and love it.

Good call. I used polarized sunglasses, and in some tinted cars, I get the funky rainbow colors looking out the tinted windows. I don't think there is an issue with ones which have quality, ceramic tint. I'll have to go check it out though, and hopefully they will have a demo car there with the same tint I want to use to make sure I don't have that issue.

I use the fitted window shade from the dealer, it looks like a Heat Shield, but I think it had a different brand name. For the sides and back, I had 3M Crystalline film installed.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Crystalline Brochure.pdf
It is pricey, but makes a huge difference with 99.9% UV and 97% IR rejection. It might be hard to justify the price on a leased vehicle but I expect to keep my Spark EV for many years.

-Chocula

Back