Wrinkles in black trim tape between doors, how to fix?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZNuts

Just noticed that the black "tape on the window frame, between the front and back door are starting to wrinkle up and folding. Since I'm thinking of selling, this will affect the value. Anyone ran into similar issue?

I'm thinking of trying heat gun to make it shrink flat but I'm also concerned that it will make it worse.

We had two ‘15 Spark EVs - still have one. The one we still have (and is garaged) never had issues with the vinyl wrap on the B pillars. The one we sold (not garaged) had same issue you describe early on. GM replaced the vinyl under warranty. However, the wrap didn’t stick well with the replacement material either. I suspect something amiss with the factory part supplier. May need an experienced shop to fix with a trusted material.

Joe M in WV

thanks Joe. Good to know that I'm not alone. The weird thing is the weather is fairly mild around here and it's garaged during my ownership.

This is obviously past warranty. It's also going to be hard to find expert repair around here in a reasonable price range so I may just try to DIY with heat gun and adhesive myself.

I can't see how this is so hard....

There are lots of shops these days that do 'Wraps'.
They would remove the old and apply the new.
You might have to have it all replaced so it looks matched.
Or,,, just don't worry about that minor detail.... :cool:

The decals are available from GM - same part for ICE / EV versions.

Our 2015 had wrinkles on drivers side only - I removed them from front rear doors on drivers side before selling car...

It allows me to keep track of it. 😅

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2388261

bnc

I have the peeling decal problem on both my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. So... I tried peeling off the decals on my 2014 Spark EV. Wala!!! The decals came off cleanly with just a little effort and patience. The car still looks great.

Tomorrow, I will peel off the decals on my 2016 Spark EV. Thanks so much for posting this simple fix.

Clearly, this has expired its warranty. Also, it will be difficult to get professional repair services in the area that are affordable, so I might just attempt a do-it-myself project using a heat gun and adhesive.

The similar pillars on my 2011 Honda Civic LX-S had the same thing happen, plastic-y black wrap started to peel. I was having a dented fender repaired at a body shop. They stripped and painted the pillars black (no extra charge!). They now look perfect, like new.

Back