Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: So it's time for another car...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:12 pm 

SparkE wrote:
and NOBODY is stealing that EVSE - the car is parked on top of it.

The white hat hacker in me can't help but chime in here.

I would think anyone with a jack in their car (most people, but amazingly not most Spark EV drivers) could easily jack up the car and take off with the EVSE and 2x4.

It's been a while since I've seen a car on cinder blocks with all 4 wheels missing, but there is something to be said for locks.

At least the Spark EV's alarm should sound if the EVSE is unplugged. Every once in a while I forget to unlock the car before I unplug and am reminded of that feature.

Kind of makes me wonder if powering off the EVSE first (unplug from wall first) would defeat the alarm. Wouldn't be hard to test and answer my own question, but...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 am 

charles wrote:
Kind of makes me wonder if powering off the EVSE first (unplug from wall first) would defeat the alarm. Wouldn't be hard to test and answer my own question, but...

If power is suddenly disconnected (and the alarm feature enabled) the alarm will sound. The chances of noticing it right away when plugged in at work however...

Jacking up the car to steal the cable seems like a lot of trouble. But then so does parking a tire right on it. I'd think a long-shackle padlock clipped to the front wheel (or maybe a regular padlock with a bike cable chain looped through the wheel?) would be more convenient (thus more likely to be done every day).

Last time I saw a car sitting on milk crates was appx 20 years ago. In my driveway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:24 am 

Oh Man :O :?: A very complicated scenario you have :D