Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First real cold of the season in MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:32 am 

What kind of range hit, if any, can I expect in 40 degree temps? I would not use the heat. Might use the seat heaters though. I could precondition (I guess).

www.mdvolt.org

2015 Silver Spark EV 1LT w/ Fast charge
2013 White Ford Fusion Energi Titanium.

Post subject: Re: First real cold of the season in MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:04 pm 

I moved to MD in February when it was cold, my Volt could only muster 33 to 35 miles (typically 43 to 45 miles) per charge. I'm eager to see how badly the range degrades in the winter.

'15 Spark EV w/Michelin Premier A/S 195/55/15 all around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:30 pm 

Cabin heat is the nemesis of an electric car. It just doesn't come cheap. Using the seats and a light jacket, if necessary, is a smart option and pretty comfy too. I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped ten miles from your summer range.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:40 pm 

Fire up the cabin heater and defroster while you're still plugged in. That should give you a good start.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:59 am 

My Fusion Energi lets me get the car ready automatically at a specific time. Anything like this on the Spark EV? I only know about onstar remote start.

www.mdvolt.org

Last edited by mczajka on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:12 am 

--deleted

Last edited by Zoomit on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:05 pm 

Touché!

www.mdvolt.org

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:16 pm 

Just a thought this cool morning: leave the seat heaters turned on at shutdown, then the preheat will heat the seats as well. And you'll have hot buns in the morning (groan)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:38 pm 

Temps get in the 40's in my area during winter. I typically see ranges as low as 70 miles overall, when setting the cabin heater at 68 degrees and using the seat heater. If wearing a light jacket or sweater, the car warms up enough about halfway through my 30 minute commute to turn off the cabin heater. So I'd say under those conditions, a 10 - 15% drop can be expected. Note that my commute is mostly highway and I can reach speeds of 55 mph (I stick to the speed limit in winter). I pull out all the hyper-miling stops in winter that don't include riding in a cold car. But with shorter days in winter, the lights are usually on both to and from work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:37 am 

mczajka wrote:
What kind of range hit, if any, can I expect in 40 degree temps? I would not use the heat. Might use the seat heaters though. I could precondition (I guess).

This is a very good question. So, I thought I would start looking into it since at least once per month I venture out far enough that I need to stop both going and returning to top off my battery so I can get home. I am concerned that the heater's impact to mileage might prevent me from getting to the charging location.

Here is my first look:

My 2015 Spark EV 2LT was fully charged yesterday and left out all night. The outside temperature this morning at 7:30 am was 46 deg. F. I set the car's heating system as follows: Inside temperature: 75 deg. F; Fan speed: 3 bars; Recirculation: set to inside air; Distribution: dash and floor; AUTO setting was off.

Then I checked the electricity information center to make sure all usage percentage values and the kWh used value were all still zero.

I got into the car, closed the door and powered up the car. The fan came on and, after a bit, started producing heat. After 10 minutes the car was nice and warm and electricity information showed I used 0.6 kWh which equates to 3.4 miles of range ( my avg. last month without heat was 5.6 mi / kWh). The guess-o-meter dropped by 4 miles too. From this result, I expect I will lose approximately 3-4 miles of range for every 10 minutes of driving with the heater on and set to a temperature ~25 deg. F above the outside temperature. I need to test a longer time to see if the power consumption drops off as the cabin temperature approaches the set point, I also need to rerun the test using outside air to see what impact a constant flow of cold incoming air will have.

If, while driving in cold weather, I do lose 4 miles of range every 10 minutes [ ~24 miles per hour of driving], one of my regular charging stations will be out of safe range. Perhaps switching to the heated seats after the cabin is warmed up will help extend the range a bit.

I ran this same test with my 2014 Spark EV 2LT that was in my garage overnight. The car showed the outside temperature was 60 deg. F and was tested using the same settings as above. The electricity information details showed I used 0.4 kWh for the 10-minute test. The one thing I noticed was the heat coming into the car was not as "hot" as what I experienced in the 2015 Spark EV. However, after the test I moved the temperature up to 85 deg. F and the heat immediately got hotter. This make me think there is a tapering off of heat (therefore power) as the cabin temperature approaches the set point.

I would like to know what you other EV drivers see and do to address this problem. Central California temperatures will eventually drop into the 30s as winter continues to move in.