Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: New spark owner with already a couple modifications.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 am 

"L" is the way to go for sure. My Volt is always in L.
Sure hope that the Spark will be available in Florida
by September 2014 when my lease ends...... 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:14 pm 

Quick question:

For the front and back Chevy logos (bow ties) what did you use to black them out? Did you buy them online somewhere or use plasti-dip etc? If you did purchase online can you post a url of the site.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:23 am 

With the Spark EV you have the option of adopting this new '1 Foot' driving method of driving in L.
The BMW i3 and the Tesla demand you adopt the 1 Foot Method. Their brake pedal is strictly an old school friction brake pedal. Easy engineering on their part by not having the brake pedal blend the braking duties.

I like to be able to take my foot off the go pedal and scratch my n... leg.
You get 'Coast' when you drive in D. You don't have to think about what coast is. You don't have to have your foot planted on that Go pedal for the entire trip.

To each his own.
Just don't claim there is any performance benefit to driving in L. The brake pedal provides even more regen without friction braking than L does.

To me the best thing about L is it can be used with Cruise Control. You have a two mode Cruise Control.
D allows the car to overshoot the Set Speed on down hills.
L uses regen to maintain the Set Speed on down hills.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:18 am 

There is a big downside to driving in L, that most people fail to take into account. Coasting is always better than regen because regenerative breaking is not 100% efficient (it actually varies from around 60% to 94% at the motor level). Then when you take into account conversion losses associated with the AC to DC conversion, and battery losses, then you realize its much better just to drive in D, then switch to L in certain scenarios (in my case: going down hill, or to maximize regen when you aren't sure how much to brake force you need before kicking in the mechanical brakes).

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:20 pm 

I've modified mine, too, with this decal:

Don't ask me how to get that decal - according to the manufacturer it was a mistake.

About driving in L, I'm also a big fan. The whole process dovetails nicely with my past experience using engine compression to decelerate a vehicle with a manual transmission. It just feels natural to me.

Which is more efficient? Well, I have a regular commute to the same place via the same route and sometimes Li'l Sparky is in L and others it's in D. Over the first 2000 miles, it seems like a draw with maybe the edge going to D. That said, traffic has been light due to kids out of school and people on vacation. Perhaps when the cars hit the road in another month, and traffic gets more jammed, the edge might go back to L. We're only talking about a couple miles per charge either way.

I have some thoughts on the frequent brake light controversy and indications there are multiple tiers of regenerative braking, but research is in early stages and it's really hard to pay too much attention when driving the car is so much fun!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:21 am 

robpow13 wrote:
Hi,

So the modifications I have done basically the first weekend I got it was I got all the windows tinted, removed the front lic. plate bracket, and blacked out the Bow Ties front and back. So for the most part is black and chrome. I am debating removing the green ev badge on the back too.

Quick question:

For the front and back Chevy logos (bow ties) what did you use to black them out? Did you buy them online somewhere or use plasti-dip etc? If you did purchase online can you post a url of the site.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:00 pm 

Don't forget to black out the yellow bowtie on the wheels...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 pm 

Dusty wrote:
Don't ask me how to get that decal - according to the manufacturer it was a mistake.

They could save on waste disposal costs if they just put all the decal material in the package after cutting and let you choose which parts to use.