boatbum11

Re: Battery Degradation vs Battery Limited Warranty

Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some info. Those of you using torque pro to monitor your Spark, there are Bolt PIDS available now, instead of using VOLT PIDS. Here is a link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1125667062

I installed the Bolt PIDS and now can monitor individual battery cell temperature and charge. Also now have access to the batteries total capacity listed in KW!!

My 2014 Spark with 48,000 miles shows 15.9KW which matches my manually calculated battery capacity.
2014 Blue Spark with DCFC.

MrDRMorgan

Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 pm

boatbum11 wrote:Hi All,

Just wanted to share some info. Those of you using torque pro to monitor your Spark, there are Bolt PIDS available now, instead of using VOLT PIDS. Here is a link:

I installed the Bolt PIDS and now can monitor individual battery cell temperature and charge. Also now have access to the batteries total capacity listed in KW!!

My 2014 Spark with 48,000 miles shows 15.9KW which matches my manually calculated battery capacity.
I would like to be able to monitor the battery capacity in both of my Spark EVs. What do I need to be able to do this? I know nothing about Torgue Pro or how it works.

MrDRMorgan

Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
boatbum11 wrote:Hi All,

I would like to be able to monitor the battery capacity in both of my Spark EVs. What do I need to be able to do this using an iPad? I know nothing about Torque Pro or how it works.

boatbum11

Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 am

Hi MrDr.Morgan,

You need to get an OBDII, reader to plug into your Spark diagnostic port (located under the dash on the drivers side). The one I have is a wireless bluetooth model (https://www.ebay.com/p/OBDLink-MX-Bluet ... 408&chn=ps). Then you go to the app store on your phone and buy TorquePro. Follow the link in my post above and follow the directions on down loading the Bolt PIDS and install in TorquePro. You then have to configure your screens, select which PIDS you want to monitor and place them on your screens (you do this with the OBDII reader connected to your phone via bluetooth and with the car on, so you can see the individual PIDS working to determine if you want to place it's widget on the screen).

It's not as hard as it sounds :)

It's cool to be able to monitor each battery cell(s) voltage and temperature and a great tool to see if there are any issues going on there.

MrDRMorgan

Wed May 30, 2018 1:47 pm

boatbum11 wrote:Hi MrDr.Morgan,

You need to get an OBDII, reader to plug into your Spark diagnostic port (located under the dash on the drivers side). The one I have is a wireless bluetooth model (https://www.ebay.com/p/OBDLink-MX-Bluet ... 408&chn=ps). Then you go to the app store on your phone and buy TorquePro. Follow the link in my post above and follow the directions on down loading the Bolt PIDS and install in TorquePro. You then have to configure your screens, select which PIDS you want to monitor and place them on your screens (you do this with the OBDII reader connected to your phone via bluetooth and with the car on, so you can see the individual PIDS working to determine if you want to place it's widget on the screen).

It's cool to be able to monitor each battery cell(s) voltage and temperature and a great tool to see if there are any issues going on there.
Thanks for the info. I would like to install TorquePro on my Apple iPad Mini or my iPod Touch. However, it looks like TorquePro is an Android application only. If true, I have an old Nexus 7 that runs Android but it may too old, too slow or both. Do you know what the oldest version of Android is that will work?

boatbum11

Wed May 30, 2018 5:53 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would like to install TorquePro on my Apple iPad Mini or my iPod Touch. However, it looks like TorquePro is an Android application only. If true, I have an old Nexus 7 that runs Android but it may too old, too slow or both. Do you know what the oldest version of Android is that will work?
On TorquePro's website they say it will run on any android platform and show it running on a Nexus S. Beyond that I have no idea. Always been an android guy, not a Mac person. My phone is a Galaxy 7 Edge. If your Nexus won't run it you can always get an Android tablet to run it on.

MrDRMorgan

Wed May 30, 2018 6:45 pm

boatbum11 wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote:

On TorquePro's website they say it will run on any android platform and show it running on a Nexus S. Beyond that I have no idea. Always been an android guy, not a Mac person. My phone is a Galaxy 7 Edge. If your Nexus won't run it you can always get an Android tablet to run it on.
I found that TorquePro works with Android 2.0 or later. My Nexus 7 has Android 5.1.1 so it should work. I will download TorquePro and order an OBD2 device like yours. Then I will try to figure out how it all works. I did download the video so I think I only need to know how to get the Bolt PIDS into the Nexus.
Update: I have TorquePro installed on my Nexus 7. One question: I have no problem getting to /internal storage/.torque. But, I do not see /extendedpids/ nor can I create it. Is this file hidden and not .torque? I tried creating /extendedpids/ as a sub-file to .torque but I could not create it which suggests the file already exists but is hidden. I was able to create a new folder under .torque but I could not rename it extendedpids.

boatbum11

Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

Yes, it is a hidden file. You have to go into settings, then "explore" and that will open internal storage where you will see all your files. One should be labeled"torque". You'll have to copy the PID file from the download folder and add it to the "Torque" folder. Then open torque pro and create your layout and select the PIDS you wish to display.

MrDRMorgan

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:12 am

boatbum11 wrote:Yes, it is a hidden file. You have to go into settings, then "explore" and that will open internal storage where you will see all your files. One should be labeled"torque". You'll have to copy the PID file from the download folder and add it to the "Torque" folder. Then open torque pro and create your layout and select the PIDS you wish to display.
After a few more hours of playing with Astro, I was able to find the “extendedpids” folder. However, per the instructions I was following, I could not move the CSV file into it. Nevertheless, somehow I managed to get the CSV file into the right place and it looks like TorquePro can find it. So now I will order the OBD2 device.
Which PIDS do you have turned on when you monitor your Spark EV. I am mainly interested in the battery capacity and possibly the cell voltages.

boatbum11

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 am

There's a long list of PIDS you"ll have to scroll threw and select the ones you want. Good thing is they are active and reporting in the list ( as long as your paired to the OBDII unit and it's plugged into the port ), so it makes the decision of whether you want to watch it easier. There are specific ones reporting temperature per cell group, and voltage per cell (all 96 individually). I monitor a slew of things, total pack voltage, SOC, battery capacity, pack temperature, kw used, kw consumption in real time, charge voltage and amperage (fun to watch when fast charging to see how much power is actually going to the battery vs what's pulled from the charger), coolant pump speed, among others.

The amount of info you can monitor is quite staggering!!

Return to “Batteries and Charging”