MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Chris101 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 am
^ my understanding is certain EA stations have not worked properly when 1st being setup regardless of what car tries to actually charge at the station BUT the Bolt EV does NOT have the same issue as the Spark EV when it comes to EA DCFC.
I would agree with you. The San Francisco Premium Outlets located in California had 10 EA ABB chargers. They are not being used much but I do see Chevy Bolts charging there. I have tried charging my 2016 Spark EV on all 10 chargers and not one worked. I had the same experience at 4 EA ABB chargers in Patterson, CA.

It has been almost 3 months since I first met with the ABB rep at the chargers in Livermore, CA and I still cannot charge there.

JAMMan
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:34 am

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:26 pm
It has been almost 3 months since I first met with the ABB rep at the chargers in Livermore, CA and I still cannot charge there.
Thank you for your Help MrDRMorgan!

Also, I randomly came across this Spark/Bolt EV Post regarding charging issues even mentioning your post on Plugshare: https://www.torquenews.com/8861/fixing- ... ng-systems

Hopefully we can find some resolution as the EA chargers bridge a MAJOR gap between some big cities for me...

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:26 am

JAMMan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 am
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:26 pm
It has been almost 3 months since I first met with the ABB rep at the chargers in Livermore, CA and I still cannot charge there.
Thank you for your Help MrDRMorgan!

Also, I randomly came across this Spark/Bolt EV Post regarding charging issues even mentioning your post on Plugshare: https://www.torquenews.com/8861/fixing- ... ng-systems

Hopefully we can find some resolution as the EA chargers bridge a MAJOR gap between some big cities for me...
Thanks for pointing out the interesting article. I really hope GM and ABB get this problem fixed quickly as I would really like to be able to use the entire EA network here in California.

ElDobro
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Funny thing, I checked Plugshare for the EA station at a local Target, tonight and a Bolt owner complained he couldn't get the car to charge, even with help from EA.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:03 pm

ElDobro wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:10 pm
Funny thing, I checked Plugshare for the EA station at a local Target, tonight and a Bolt owner complained he couldn't get the car to charge, even with help from EA.
Where is that Target located? I would like to review the driver's post. I have seen a few other Bolt charging failures too. Many complain about having to hold up the heavy cable. I have also noticed the plug sometimes has to be forcefully rotated to properly fit in the socket in the car. That is not good for the socket as it might crack or break.

ElDobro
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 am

Try this. These only put out 50kw, so the cables aren't real heavy.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/172095

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:40 am

ElDobro wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 am
Try this. These only put out 50kw, so the cables aren't real heavy.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/172095
There is also a Kona Electric that had charger problems 6 days earlier. I checked the photos on PlugShare for this site and noticed these are BTCPower chargers (rounded top). That surprised me as I have not had any problems charging my Spark EV using BTCPower chargers. My problems all occur on EA chargers manufactured by ABB. Regardless, Electrify America needs to really jump on these problems and quickly get them fixed.

It has been three months since I met with representatives from Electrify America and ABB and clearly demonstrated how I could not charge at any of the 10 EA chargers manufactured by ABB that are located at the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. I am still waiting for a response and a fix.

Ramerica
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Hey! I've also had this problem with my spark and got stranded in a small town that didn't have any other quick chargers. Had to get a tow to the next town over. The person AT EA support at least gave be a couple free sessions, but acknowledged it was a software issue and quoted from this exact thread lol. I hope it can get fixed soon! EA seems to be the fastest expanding DCFC network around me.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:49 pm

Ramerica wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm
Hey! I've also had this problem with my spark and got stranded in a small town that didn't have any other quick chargers. Had to get a tow to the next town over. The person AT EA support at least gave be a couple free sessions, but acknowledged it was a software issue and quoted from this exact thread lol. I hope it can get fixed soon! EA seems to be the fastest expanding DCFC network around me.
What was the location where you experienced the charging problem? I feel like I am getting stonewalled by EA as I request status reports - I get no response. Perhaps Spark EV drivers, who experience this same charging problem with EA chargers (ABB and not BTCPpower), should also start squawking to EA customer service. The more noise the better.

I really hope EA gets this problem resolved. The EA chargers from BTCPower seem to work great as I have had no problems charging using BTCPower chargers at a number of locations in the Sacramento area. Unfortunately, most of the EA chargers along HWY 99 in California are ABB chargers which currently do not work for Spark EVs.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:31 pm

I received a nice call today from EA customer service. I was told the "FIX" to allow Spark EVs to charge at EA stations with ABB chargers is moving forward but I could not get a specific status or estimated date when "FIX" would be implemented.

I would like to suggest Spark EV drivers, who have problems charging at EA locations with ABB chargers, go to the Electrify America website - electrifyamerica.com, click on CONTACT, and leave a message about your inability to charge at ABB chargers. Perhaps EA and ABB need a lot more encouragement to get this problem fixed quickly.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”